Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I just got back from a 1200 mile trip towing my Scamp13D,
Trailer 2000 pounds,
Payload +- 800 pounds.
Average highway speed 63MPH
(STX Supercab 2WD)

HOLY CRAP!! This truck is AMAZING!

I am virtually speechless, but I will try...
1] Comfort.
Excellent for both driver and passenger.
Driver position proved easily adjustable for all day comfort.
Controls proved easily accessible and quickly responsive.
Quiet even in traffic or high winds and rain.

2]Performance...
Acceleration was as if the truck was empty with no trailer.
Stability was absolute in all conditions.
Cruise control never moved from the setting, even in high winds or steep hills.
Creeping in inner-city traffic was smooth.
Passing at highway speeds was smooth strong and quiet.
Brakes were smooth and perfectly responsive in all conditions.

3]Handling...
Precise and predictable in all conditions from winding roads to pouring rain.
Speed seemed to have no effect on handling.
Apexing an unexpected curve felt like an IT car on track.
Emergency lane changes or nearly missed turns felt routine.
Backing the trailer was precise and direct.
This trip encountered some of the worst traffic and weather conditions and I never even had a
single white knuckle moment.

4] Visibility...
Visibility was great all around no blind surprises from passing , cross, or oncoming traffic
Backing the trailer was clear down both sides and in the camera.

5] Efficiency...
Low to mid-twenties on first tier fuel with no real evidence of octane making any difference.

I could hardly notice the transmission shift, except for the tach and activating gear graphic.

My only minor complaint was that the bare skin of my forearms and elbows became uncomfortable resting on the vinyl of the armrests on the console and the door.
I laid a T-shirt rag down and solved the problem completely,
I expect to wear sleeves on future long trips.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
That's a heckava positive review. One of the primary reasons I switched from my Rubicon was on road manners in high winds, sandstorms and general nasty weather. The jeep was a white knuckle, both hands on the wheel, take an aspirin to reduce neck and shoulder strain highway driving experience during weather.

I haven't and probably wont be in weather for 5-6 months. This gives me assurances I made the right purchase.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
My experience was very positive, like Floyd's was.
Differences: I knew I had a load behind me when accelerating. Plenty of power, but noticeable difference. I have a lot of frontal area.
Agree with the bare skin on the hard plastic observation.
I had towing mirrors, but probably did not need them. The factory mirrors are very good. Also, I have a rear view camera so I can see what is behind me.
Over all, very pleased how the Ranger pulled the trailer. It is a 7X16 foot cargo trailer, 2320 pounds empty using a P3 brake controller. Averaged 15.7 mpg over 800-plus miles.
I have posted pictures on other threads, but here is one I like.

1st night coming home.jpg

OP
OP
Floyd

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Differences: I knew I had a load behind me when accelerating. Plenty of power, but noticeable difference. I have a lot of frontal area.
I had towing mirrors, but probably did not need them. The factory mirrors are very good. Also, I have a rear view camera so I can see what is behind me.
Over all, very pleased how the Ranger pulled the trailer. It is a 7X16 foot cargo trailer, 2320 pounds empty using a P3 brake controller. Averaged 15.7 mpg over 800-plus miles.

Nice looking rig! I like the color match.
To be fair, your trailer would tow a lot harder empty than a Scamp13 would at max weight.
My complaint was not with the hard plastic surfaces, but only with the padded vinyl surfaces which were comfortable otherwise but tended to sorta stick to my skin, Upholstery grade cloth would work better for me. Maybe I'm just getting too tender in my old age.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Taking this beast out later today, 100 miles only, but fully loaded. Tow mirrors=yes.

Towed my utility trailer a bunch, but it’s nothing compared to this.

image.jpg

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase

@DrRoger I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer (~3000 lb with motorcycle and accessories). What length drop hitch did you use? Was it pretty much level? We have been using my wife's F-150 with a 2" drop to pull it.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
@DrRoger I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer (~3000 lb with motorcycle and accessories). What length drop hitch did you use? Was it pretty much level? We have been using my wife's F-150 with a 2" drop to pull it.
Six inch drop. Almost exactly level.

Rone28

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
Taking this beast out later today, 100 miles only, but fully loaded. Tow mirrors=yes.

Towed my utility trailer a bunch, but it’s nothing compared to this.

image.jpg
Will be interested in your report back after your trip.

I got my P3 installed today and did a test tow around town with no issues. Was interesting to see how much the back of the truck settled with the trailer attached. Basically it leveled the truck - Truck and trailer fully level for the tow. I wanted to make sure I did not have to adjust my hitch and that my controller was properly set.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Trip success. Mileage was acceptable, but the truck did bounce a little more than I would have liked. I think adding a little more tongue weight would have helped. Braking was completely fine with the p3.

I noticed the bouncing more on the way home after I took some of the weight out of the bed/front of trailer.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Trip success. Mileage was acceptable, but the truck did bounce a little more than I would have liked. I think adding a little more tongue weight would have helped. Braking was completely fine with the p3.

I noticed the bouncing more on the way home after I took some of the weight out of the bed/front of trailer.
Did you weigh the tongue weight? I think we need at least 350 pounds for a good ride while towing. That might be more than the recommended 10-12 percent depending on trailer weight.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I am in the middle of a 600 mile trip with a small uhaul trailer - I'm guessing it is probably in the neighborhood of 2000 lbs (maybe more). I couldn't even tell it was back there except when it bounced sometimes. I was a bit disappointed in the mileage - about 16 so far. But this was up and down a bunch of hills and over a pass. It went up all the hills with no problems at all. I LOVE this powertrain!!!
Sponsored