Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 ChargerDaytona
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll try lowering mine but I thought it was riding pretty good. Definitely better than our F-150 and slightly better than my old LR3. Doesn’t corner like the LR3 but I didn’t expect it to.
Do what the door sticker says. The engineers and tire folks know more about this than we do.
Sponsored

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Do what the door sticker says. The engineers and tire folks know more about this than we do.
The recommended tire pressure on the door sticker is a compromise between economy, ride, handling and load capacity. Changing the tire pressure to suit your preferences in the compromise is a perfectly acceptable thing to do.

VegasP11

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Well, I am glad I found this thread. I bought a set of brand new Tremor take-offs and have been running them at 32 psi like the door sticker said for the stock FX-4 Hankook tires. I guess I nee to air up a bit when I get home from work.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
40 PSI cold. Good ride with good fuel mileage. :like:
What's their suggested PSI? My stock tires are 35 and I thought I was being edgy at 36! LOL, I think I'll bump them up a few more!

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator / 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Occupation
Retired for now!
What's their suggested PSI? My stock tires are 35 and I thought I was being edgy at 36! LOL, I think I'll bump them up a few more!
Hi David! The Tremor that I have notes that the recommended tire pressure should be set at 39 PSI cold. Same as what Steve mentioned above. However depending on the tire, your recommended tire pressure might be less. I have always run about 1 to 3 PSI more than recommended for the best fuel economy. Works for me anyway! Take care!

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind that pressure increases while driving. The longer you drive and the faster you go, the more it increases. While none of the pressures mentioned in this thread are high enough to press the tire towards it's pressure maximum, they will get stiffer and effect ride and handling, especially under load.

I currently have mine at 37lbs cold and they get to 39-40 during my 20 minute/18 mile commute (55-60mph average road speed with three stops). When I'm doing long stretches of interstate, I drop them to 35 cold and they run at 39-41lbs once up to temp after 30 minutes or so. A good tire shop will set cold pressure lower than the door to account for this, and will change what they set them at depending on ambient temperature.

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired for now!
Keep in mind that pressure increases while driving. The longer you drive and the faster you go, the more it increases. While none of the pressures mentioned in this thread are high enough to press the tire towards it's pressure maximum, they will get stiffer and effect ride and handling, especially under load.

I currently have mine at 37lbs cold and they get to 39-40 during my 20 minute/18 mile commute (55-60mph average road speed with three stops). When I'm doing long stretches of interstate, I drop them to 35 cold and they run at 39-41lbs once up to temp after 30 minutes or so. A good tire shop will set cold pressure lower than the door to account for this, and will change what they set them at depending on ambient temperature.
Hi John. I have to disagree with your comment about "A good tire shop will set cold pressure lower than the door to account for this, and will change what they set them at depending on ambient temperature." In my experience I have never had any tire shop do this. If anything, they have always set the pressure at what is stated on the door, no matter what the temp of the tire is. When I have checked the tire pressure the next day cold, I have set it back to the recommended "cold" tire pressure or within 1 to 3 PSI over the recommendation. The "cold" pressure should be what is recommended by the vehicle manufacturer and noted on the door jam. I believe they account for the pressure increasing slightly when the tires are fully heated up. When I have checked my tire pressure after running in warm weather with the tires heated up fully, they normally increase about 3 PSI from cold. I have never seen the pressure in my tires increase 6 PSI, no matter how long I drive.
I am not saying that you have not experienced this, I just have not. In any event, have a good day!

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Hi John. I have to disagree with your comment about "A good tire shop will set cold pressure lower than the door to account for this, and will change what they set them at depending on ambient temperature." In my experience I have never had any tire shop do this. If anything, they have always set the pressure at what is stated on the door, no matter what the temp of the tire is. When I have checked the tire pressure the next day cold, I have set it back to the recommended "cold" tire pressure or within 1 to 3 PSI over the recommendation. The "cold" pressure should be what is recommended by the vehicle manufacturer and noted on the door jam. I believe they account for the pressure increasing slightly when the tires are fully heated up. When I have checked my tire pressure after running in warm weather with the tires heated up fully, they normally increase about 3 PSI from cold. I have never seen the pressure in my tires increase 6 PSI, no matter how long I drive.
I am not saying that you have not experienced this, I just have not. In any event, have a good day!
Most of your national tire chains have the difference posted right on the inflation machine. For example Discount Tires even has a sign at their drive up pressure check lane states at which ambient temps they will inflate to what pressure.

The cold pressure on the door doesn't take into account ambient temperature and is a general safe guideline but if you're trying to dial in the pressure, accounting for cold vs hot and ambient temperature is required. If I set my tires to 39 psi today while it's 95 degrees out and drive slowly around town, the rise in pressure will be less than if I get on the highway and drive for two hours. Likewise if I set it to 39 in the winter and do the same slow drive around town, it will not rise as much as today when it's 95 out.

My experience with these tires on the Tremor is that during summer temps, they will rise 10-15% in pressure in a relatively short period of time. If someone has theirs at 42 cold, it'll climb to 46-47 when at temp, which is pretty stiff riding and will begin losing some traction, especially in the wet.

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired for now!
Most of your national tire chains have the difference posted right on the inflation machine. For example Discount Tires even has a sign at their drive up pressure check lane states at which ambient temps they will inflate to what pressure.

The cold pressure on the door doesn't take into account ambient temperature and is a general safe guideline but if you're trying to dial in the pressure, accounting for cold vs hot and ambient temperature is required. If I set my tires to 39 psi today while it's 95 degrees out and drive slowly around town, the rise in pressure will be less than if I get on the highway and drive for two hours. Likewise if I set it to 39 in the winter and do the same slow drive around town, it will not rise as much as today when it's 95 out.

My experience with these tires on the Tremor is that during summer temps, they will rise 10-15% in pressure in a relatively short period of time. If someone has theirs at 42 cold, it'll climb to 46-47 when at temp, which is pretty stiff riding and will begin losing some traction, especially in the wet.
I just got off the phone with the Discount Tire shop close to me here in Tennessee. They told me that in warm / hot weather, the put the tire pressure at what the door notates. Now what surprised me John, they said they add extra pressure when the temperature is very cold. So at 25 degrees, they will set the tire pressure 2 to 4 PSI higher than recommended. I do not agree with this, and am surprised to hear them do this.
I have always figured that the "cold" tire pressure is what the measured tire pressure is at any given temperature. So if it is 30 degrees outside, I will set the tire pressure at what the door says. If it is 90 degrees outside, I will also set the tire pressure cold at what the door says.
Now I know that the tires will loose pressure when the temperature changes from hot to cold and vice versa. So I will check the pressure often enough to be sure no matter what the temperature is outside, I am very close to that recommended tire pressure.
BTW, at 39 PSI as you mentioned you said it will increase 10 to 15% more. At 15% it would increase to 44.89 PSI or 45 basically. I will check this on my tires on my Tremor the next time I go for a drive in the miserable hot weather we have now! I am sure different tires and how they are made with different compounds will increase at different rates from a cold to hot tire after driving. I find this discussion interesting and will be the first to say I am wrong if that is the case. (I hope not though..LOL!!!)

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired for now!
Opps, I misread your post. You said 42 PSI raising to 10 to 15% or 460to 47 PSI hot. I run 40 PSI and at 15% increase, it would be 46, so you are correct if it increases that much. I have always run my F150 tires in the past at 38 PSI. I think they were supposed to be at 35 recommended. And I believe they would rise in real hot weather to 41 PSI. Hmmmm, I need to go for a ride in the Tremor to see what the rise is.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I was always told "cold" tire pressure was what it should be set at at the coolest part of the day (morning) before the vehicle is driven. Everything else is guessing.

Even half the truck sitting in the shade and half in the sun will throw off the tire pressure. Don't get me started on altitude impacting your pressure reading. :devil:
Sponsored