Transmission Issues

mikemac58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/2019 Ranger Lariat
Has anyone else experienced rough shifts up and down, rumble strip feeling on decel, shudder on tip in acceleration and slight shudder at low RPM regardless of speed or gear? Probably the worse AT I have experienced.

My dealer tells me it is normal for ten speeds to act this way. But acknowledges it is not great. I have read about class action suits on the F-150 ten speed and some have acknowledged that many customers complain about these ten speed performance characteristics across numerous Ford platforms.

I have 3600 miles and have had the tough idle TSB performed a while back.
Sponsored

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Mine does an occasional weird shift to 4th when it’s cold, other than that it’s pretty darn smooth. I do drive like a old man though.

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Mine was doing ALL of that. I could handle all of it except the jumpy, jittery feel it would give when cruising around town. It almost had the feel of the engine stuttering. I took it in and the dealer acknowledge that it was not right. He said he though the "stutter" issue was the overdrive locking and unlocking because of Ford's poor shift strategy always attempting to get the best fuel economy. My Ranger was born in April so it did not qualify for the Rough Shifting TSB. He went ahead and flashed it with the latest programming anyway. This put it back into learning mode again and for a while it was even worse than before. It felt like I was running over rocks when coming to stop. Then, after a few hundred miles, everything suddenly smoothed out. It is MUCH better than before. The only thing that didn't change was the feeling that the transmission is always in 1 gear too high when cruising, giving that same stutter feeling. Now, when I drive around town, I just lock out gears 9 and 10 so avoid that. I have gone from really disliking the way my truck drives to really enjoying it!

OP
OP
mikemac58

mikemac58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/2019 Ranger Lariat
RangerCat - I will press my dealer on the rough shift a TSB. Thank you for that information!

MTB-BRUH - I have driven mine like I stole and I have driven mine like a grandma, makes no difference. Sport at least winds the truck out a bit more so it does not feel like I am lugging a stick shift at low speed in 4th gear.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
There is a TSB on the transmission for really odd behavior, and I just had a rear half shaft replaced for heavy pulsing when braking. Apparently Dana had some manufacturing defects that they needed to work out. I waited 6 months or so for a new axle, and now that it's in, my accel and braking have improved to the point where I can't even really feel any "oddness" even if I'm trying.

I should add that it was significantly improved in May when I had the TSB for the trans done as well, but this seems to have fixed almost all of my weird stumble/braking oddness.

Reactions: EJH

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Mine was doing ALL of that. I could handle all of it except the jumpy, jittery feel it would give when cruising around town. It almost had the feel of the engine stuttering. I took it in and the dealer acknowledge that it was not right. He said he though the "stutter" issue was the overdrive locking and unlocking because of Ford's poor shift strategy always attempting to get the best fuel economy. My Ranger was born in April so it did not qualify for the Rough Shifting TSB. He went ahead and flashed it with the latest programming anyway. This put it back into learning mode again and for a while it was even worse than before. It felt like I was running over rocks when coming to stop. Then, after a few hundred miles, everything suddenly smoothed out. It is MUCH better than before. The only thing that didn't change was the feeling that the transmission is always in 1 gear too high when cruising, giving that same stutter feeling. Now, when I drive around town, I just lock out gears 9 and 10 so avoid that. I have gone from really disliking the way my truck drives to really enjoying it!
That almost sounds like torque converter shudder. the same thing that hit some of the Colorado's and other GM vehicles.

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
RangerCat - I will press my dealer on the rough shift a TSB. Thank you for that information!

MTB-BRUH - I have driven mine like I stole and I have driven mine like a grandma, makes no difference. Sport at least winds the truck out a bit more so it does not feel like I am lugging a stick shift at low speed in 4th gear.
@mikemac58, I hope you get something resolved with your dealer. Please let us know what you find out. Beware of the "it's a characteristic of this transmission" bit!

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone else experienced rough shifts up and down, rumble strip feeling on decel, shudder on tip in acceleration and slight shudder at low RPM regardless of speed or gear? Probably the worse AT I have experienced.

My dealer tells me it is normal for ten speeds to act this way. But acknowledges it is not great. I have read about class action suits on the F-150 ten speed and some have acknowledged that many customers complain about these ten speed performance characteristics across numerous Ford platforms.

I have 3600 miles and have had the tough idle TSB performed a while back.
Nope. None of those issues.

Chris C.

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I have the same problem and i CAN'T get my dealership or salesman to acknowledge it. But it's annoying and unacceptable for a $40,000 vehicle.

Barry McLean

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Farmer
I have the same problem and i CAN'T get my dealership or salesman to acknowledge it. But it's annoying and unacceptable for a $40,000 vehicle.
Drove the truck off the lot 2 days ago and yup, transmission is sluggish or vibrates slightly.

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
Drove the truck off the lot 2 days ago and yup, transmission is sluggish or vibrates slightly.
mine was like that for about 500 miles now at 3700 and its very nice (someone posted a a paper from ford to give the tranny 3k miles to learn engine /throttle positions worked for me.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I feel bad hearing about all these issues. So far, I'm happy with the transmission except for a few things which I've mostly gotten used to:

1. Auto shifts in and out of gear 3 can be a bit less than smooth.

2. Manually shifting between the gears while in S mode is rather sluggish compared to any other transmission I've had. It seems to spend a lot of time doing things like rev-matching the engine and such to try to reduce wear, which is great in that sense, but the shifts take forever. You don't notice it in auto mode because you're not manually initiating the shift. I'm learning to anticipate my shifts more and initiating them a few seconds early to compensate, but it's still somewhat annoying.

David Graham

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger fx4
I HAVE A 2019 FORD RANGER XLT. THE DAY I DROVE IT HOME I NOTICED THAT IT HAD A SHUTTER. SO WHEN I GOT HOME I OPENED THE HOOD A REV ENGINE, SEEMED FINE. MINE WAS BUILT IN APRIL, SO AFTER I SEEN THAT THE ENGINE DID NOT HAVE A MISS, BECAUSE THATS WHAT IT FELT LIKE WHILE DRIVING. I GOT UNDER THE TRUCK AND TOOK A LOOK AT THE DRIVE SHAFT, GRABBED IT AT THE CARRIER BEARING, AND WTF, LOOK AT ALL THE PLAY IN CARRIER BEARING, MADE A APPT. WITH THE DEALER TO LOOK AT IT, AND SO THEY DID ,A ND CAME BACK SAYING THE BEARING IS NORMAL, WHAT... YOU CAN MOVE IT AROUND LIKE ALOT. I CALLED FORD CUSTOMER CARE AND OPENED A CLAIM ABOUT THE SHUTTER FEELING, AND ALSO TO SEE IF THERE IS A UPGRADED CARRIER BEARING. AND NO NO UPDATES AT THIS TIME. SO IF FORD CANT REMEDY THIS PROBLEM, I'M REQUESTING A BUY BACK. I LOVE THE TRUCK, BUT FOR THE MONEY THAT WAS PAID, IN MY THOUGHTS AND SHOULD GO DOWN THE ROAD SMOOTH, NOT LIKE THE MOTOR HAS A MISS IN IT. I ALSO LOOKED INTO BUILDING A 1 PIECE ALUM. DRIVE SHAFT, BUT DO TO ANGLE THAT CAN'T BE DONE. SO IF ANYBODY OUT THERE HAS THIS SAME ISSUE, CAN YOU PLEASE SHARE IF YOU GOT IT FIGURED OUT.

View attachment 21584
Sponsored