Sponsored

Transmission fluid level

First Name
Ron
Joined
Jul 10, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
13
Reaction score
28
Location
Mclean Texas
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger 4 wheel drive, 2012 f150 4 wheel drive
Occupation
Farm and Ranch, retired HVAC/REF.,Electrician, Electronics service
I would add about 1/2 quart, then start checking it.

Thank you very much, for the feedback and being a customer!
Thank you sir. You did all the hard work of measuring , forming, and building this wonderful device. The only hard part I had was getting the cap off of the old dipstick.
Sponsored

 
First Name
Ron
Joined
Jul 10, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
13
Reaction score
28
Location
Mclean Texas
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger 4 wheel drive, 2012 f150 4 wheel drive
Occupation
Farm and Ranch, retired HVAC/REF.,Electrician, Electronics service
I don't recall... Here is what I would do. Have a quart or 2 of fluid on hand.
I suspect you won't add a full quart.
  1. Check your fluid level cold. The process is outlined here. Keep the truck off as much as possible, Only run it to check the level, then immediately turn it off. The fluid heats up faster than you think.
  2. Fill it cold. add a little at a time - 3-5 oz or so. Use Mike's funnel.
    (You can pour more if you have a pump to pull fluid out via the dipstick tube.)
  3. Let the fluid settle down the dipstick for a minute or two. You need a nice accurate reading.
  4. Check it. It should be between the tip of the dipstick and 1/8 - 1/4" up. NO MORE
  5. If it is not, repeat steps 2-4 until it is.
Be Patient. It won't take too long to get it right. If you doing this relatively fast you may not need to run through the gears each time.

If you overfill you're going to have the opposite problem... and it won't show up until the transmission gets hot enough to push to 200F-215F, depending on how much over you are. Then you going to have a balky transmission with all the bad behavior you've seen reported on this forum.... then it vomits!

1788341363608-o0.webp
Thank you sir. As soon as I get it done, I will post how much so you can know
 

Tys

Member
First Name
Tys
Joined
Jan 1, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
23
Reaction score
26
Location
Ma
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger lariat
Thank you sir. As soon as I get it done, I will post how much so you can know
Looking forward to that update post! A little catch up here......I dont post much, just a Sleazy watcher LoL. I also just installed my MBS dipstick on my 2020 Lariat with 43k. (bought used 2 years ago with 40k ) Love My Ranger!

First....totally second all props to mike and his amazing dipstick kit! From fit and finish to price you cant do better! if any part of the install was tough it was from fords end.

Second my transmission has been amazing and yes it doesnt get used hard at all. But im in the minority that likes this tranny as mine is acting for now just as it should. I did add the FP tune and I feel the tune and Tranny relearn made it even better!

Now after a few checks I too am sitting right at the 6 plus line. about the 150 to 160 degree area. I am not sure exactly what to do. Ive read before other being right there and maybe this is a full boat at full operating temp and adding anything would be a mistake.

Everthing shifts so good I dont want to mess with it but I feel Like adding a half quart might be good.

Let us know what happens.
 

TJC

Well-Known Member
First Name
Tony
Joined
Aug 28, 2020
Threads
47
Messages
4,148
Reaction score
10,611
Location
North Carolina
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Now after a few checks I too am sitting right at the 6 plus line. about the 150 to 160 degree area. I am not sure exactly what to do. Ive read before other being right there and maybe this is a full boat at full operating temp and adding anything would be a mistake.

Everthing shifts so good I dont want to mess with it but I feel Like adding a half quart might be good.

Let us know what happens.
You are right where you need to be...

10R80 1.webp
 

OldHippy

Well-Known Member
First Name
Michael
Joined
Jan 23, 2025
Threads
6
Messages
152
Reaction score
240
Location
Central Ga.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Retired
Looking forward to that update post! A little catch up here......I dont post much, just a Sleazy watcher LoL. I also just installed my MBS dipstick on my 2020 Lariat with 43k. (bought used 2 years ago with 40k ) Love My Ranger!

First....totally second all props to mike and his amazing dipstick kit! From fit and finish to price you cant do better! if any part of the install was tough it was from fords end.

Second my transmission has been amazing and yes it doesnt get used hard at all. But im in the minority that likes this tranny as mine is acting for now just as it should. I did add the FP tune and I feel the tune and Tranny relearn made it even better!

Now after a few checks I too am sitting right at the 6 plus line. about the 150 to 160 degree area. I am not sure exactly what to do. Ive read before other being right there and maybe this is a full boat at full operating temp and adding anything would be a mistake.

Everthing shifts so good I dont want to mess with it but I feel Like adding a half quart might be good.

Let us know what happens.
I know what you mean about purchasing dipstick 2 years ago. I, too, purchased mine about 2 ago, new from Mike, for my 2020 xlt. Got a new pan also, w/ drain plug. Going to install it all this next week. Have several appts coming up in Atl @ Emory. 250 miles one way. Wanna get her all squared away before all that Atl. City driving. I'm glad you all have shown us how to get the fill right. ✌
 
  • Like
Reactions: Tys


Tys

Member
First Name
Tys
Joined
Jan 1, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
23
Reaction score
26
Location
Ma
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger lariat
You are right where you need to be...

10R80 1.webp
I appreciate that TJC but I was using the temp thing to show where I am on the stick. I'm not sure what the trans temp is. The trucks up to operating temp so I would think I'm low. Maybe not though.
 

RedlandRanger

Moderator
First Name
Rob
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Threads
44
Messages
5,192
Reaction score
11,362
Location
Oregon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
1
I appreciate that TJC but I was using the temp thing to show where I am on the stick. I'm not sure what the trans temp is. The trucks up to operating temp so I would think I'm low. Maybe not though.
It is really hard to get the trans up past 170 or so without driving it for a long time or winding it up or something. I'll bet you are probably OK, but buying a cheap bluetooth OBD2 dongle and installing TorquePro would be a good idea to know what the trans temp is to be sure.
 

TJC

Well-Known Member
First Name
Tony
Joined
Aug 28, 2020
Threads
47
Messages
4,148
Reaction score
10,611
Location
North Carolina
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
I appreciate that TJC but I was using the temp thing to show where I am on the stick. I'm not sure what the trans temp is. The trucks up to operating temp so I would think I'm low. Maybe not though.
It is going to be below the engine coolant temp for quite a while. Eventually it will rise to 195F-200F but it takes time. Use the cold start measurement to quickly tell if you are in the ball park. Quick, easy, and accurate.
 

OldHippy

Well-Known Member
First Name
Michael
Joined
Jan 23, 2025
Threads
6
Messages
152
Reaction score
240
Location
Central Ga.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Retired
It is really hard to get the trans up past 170 or so without driving it for a long time or winding it up or something. I'll bet you are probably OK, but buying a cheap bluetooth OBD2 dongle and installing TorquePro would be a good idea to know what the trans temp is to be sure.
I was thinking, last night, about how to Know what the trans fluid temp was.
What is TorquePro? Thnx I advance.✌
 

Tys

Member
First Name
Tys
Joined
Jan 1, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
23
Reaction score
26
Location
Ma
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger lariat
It is really hard to get the trans up past 170 or so without driving it for a long time or winding it up or something. I'll bet you are probably OK, but buying a cheap bluetooth OBD2 dongle and installing TorquePro would be a good idea to know what the trans temp is to be sure.
I am going to look into this for sure. Thanks for the idea!

Anybody know if my Ford reader that came with the tune has access to trans temps?
I can plug it in later and play I suppose.

After realizing that I made a short trip 10 min to get engine up to temp, id put money on the fact the trans was at low tempo when I checked it. So like you said I bet its in a good range.

Color and viscosity looks right on and I dont beleive its ever been serviced, so I think ive got that going for me. That and the fact it shifts better than good. The dealer I bought it from had done the transfer case fluids due to the 1 previous owner towing with it. No record of transmission anything. Maybe 1st owner did it 🤷‍♂️
 

RedlandRanger

Moderator
First Name
Rob
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Threads
44
Messages
5,192
Reaction score
11,362
Location
Oregon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
1

OldHippy

Well-Known Member
First Name
Michael
Joined
Jan 23, 2025
Threads
6
Messages
152
Reaction score
240
Location
Central Ga.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Retired
TorquePro is a phone app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en_US

It does come in an iOS version as well.

Pair it with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PJPHEBO?th=1 (there are a million options available)
Ok. Thats what I thought it had to be. I have the MADDOX MR16 CODE READER ALREADY. Have had it for a couple months, but haven't even used it yet.. Have so damn much to do around here its crazy
Hurricane Helene threw me about 3 years behind in life. 🤣 Have bout gotten all the downed trees cut, split and stacked. Rebuilt shop and garage.
With the VA sending me to outside medical for possible throat cancer as well and possibly Another spinal surgery, instead of driving 40 miles to my VA Facility, I have to drive 250 miles, one way to these drs. But, hell, I have no issues with that really. Ain't no VA dr operating on my spine anyway. Or anything else, for that matter.🤣 I thank you sir for your help and advice.. Will definitely shout back if I get into anything I'm not sure of.
Always been pretty well mechanically inclined. But trying to stay on top of this transmission, so it doesn't blow apart is something else. 🤔🫣.✌
 

RedlandRanger

Moderator
First Name
Rob
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Threads
44
Messages
5,192
Reaction score
11,362
Location
Oregon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
1
Ok. Thats what I thought it had to be. I have the MADDOX MR16 CODE READER ALREADY. Have had it for a couple months, but haven't even used it yet.. Have so damn much to do around here its crazy
Hurricane Helene threw me about 3 years behind in life. 🤣 Have bout gotten all the downed trees cut, split and stacked. Rebuilt shop and garage.
With the VA sending me to outside medical for possible throat cancer as well and possibly Another spinal surgery, instead of driving 40 miles to my VA Facility, I have to drive 250 miles, one way to these drs. But, hell, I have no issues with that really. Ain't no VA dr operating on my spine anyway. Or anything else, for that matter.🤣 I thank you sir for your help and advice.. Will definitely shout back if I get into anything I'm not sure of.
Always been pretty well mechanically inclined. But trying to stay on top of this transmission, so it doesn't blow apart is something else. 🤔🫣.✌
It seems like regular fluid changes accompanied by lubeguard platinum is the best insurance against issues. It is not guarantee, but it is about the best thing you can do I think.
 

Tys

Member
First Name
Tys
Joined
Jan 1, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
23
Reaction score
26
Location
Ma
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger lariat
It seems like regular fluid changes accompanied by lubeguard platinum is the best insurance against issues. It is not guarantee, but it is about the best thing you can do I think.
I keep hearing about this lubeguard and it crossed my mind that if I am a little low I could add some by im super hesitant as my trans is great. Is it really all that? Can it be added when low or better to add with a drain and fill?
 

RedlandRanger

Moderator
First Name
Rob
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Threads
44
Messages
5,192
Reaction score
11,362
Location
Oregon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
1
I keep hearing about this lubeguard and it crossed my mind that if I am a little low I could add some by im super hesitant as my trans is great. Is it really all that? Can it be added when low or better to add with a drain and fill?
I think it would be fine but I'm no expert. I'd defer to the experts on that one.

It does seem to be more than "snake oil" like a lot of additives are.

If you do it, make sure it is lubeguard platinum.
Sponsored

 
  • Like
Reactions: Tys
 








Top