Transmission Fluid Fill

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I believe you are correct @landiscarrier on the 4-5 range documentation as it is from a ranger specific procedure document. The one I pulled(attached) from fordtechmakuloco on his YouTube channel is not model specific and is not correct for all models. Thank you for uploading the ranger specific guide!

Now to buy a quart of trans fluid and add a bit. Hoping bringing mine from 5 hot to between 4-5 will help with initial cold start engagement of gears. It's just a few seconds if you crank it and immediately shift into gear on a cold start, but it feels like forever, lol.
Sponsored

Attachments

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I picked up a quart of the trans fluid at my dealer today. 12 ounces brought the level from 5 to 4 on the dipstick in case that info helps anyone.

The thermal forearm sleeves I picked up at harbor freight sure do make checking the trans fluid a breeze.

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I picked up a quart of the trans fluid at my dealer today. 12 ounces brought the level from 5 to 4 on the dipstick in case that info helps anyone.

The thermal forearm sleeves I picked up at harbor freight sure do make checking the trans fluid a breeze.
Do you have a link?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Thanks for the links...the sleave really works against the cat?
I had it on a lift and reached in downstream of the cat where that flex portion of the exhaust pipe begins and the exhaust band clamp is. Allowed me to calmly reach in, unscrew the fill cap, dipstick it a few times and put everything back together with it running. It still gets warm, but prevents actual burns.

Rod B

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT sport 2WD, extended cab (long bed)
I know this is an old thread but I can confirm some readings now that I have changed my pan (Dorman stock fluid level with drain plug) along with the filter and fluid of course.
Took 6 quarts and 12 ounces to get to between 4 & 5 hot.
Checking “warm” which is starting cold, reverse for 15 seconds, drive for 15 seconds, then reverse again for a few seconds, then park and leave running. Then haul butt and get under it to check it before the cat gets skin melting hot…was exactly half between 5 & 6.
Let it sit overnight and check completely cold without it being started put the fluid level even with the top of the hole…almost runs out when removing the dipstick.
Current miles=18,000. The fluid was dark and the magnet in the pan was covered in gunk.
Sponsored