Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Hello,

I am prepping for our first weekend towing our trailer with our Ranger Tremor. This week I will be hooking up a Scan Gauge ii to see normal temps but what do you guys get when towing a travel trailer? I will be towing a Geo pro 19BH/19ft 4200lbs (loaded) travel trailer in the NV/AZ area so temps will be about 100F. I have just crossed the 1000mile mark which the manual says to do before towing, granted I wish I had more miles on it before this trip.

Anyways, do you guys find that the stock setup cools the trans well in these temps? What is the peak temps you guys get? Our Honda Pilot seemed to stay under 200F with the factory external cooler and only would break 200F sometimes when climbing. Reading post in here, seems like the Ranger trans will run warmer?

What is the max temp I should consider pulling over for a break? I assume by the time the light comes on it has already been too hot?

Google was hard to get info since it was mostly F150 post it would pull up and some of them had an external cooler with the max tow package? Searched this forum but the info was not exactly what I was looking for.

Any info would be appreciated. Trying to get off on the right foot with this truck and towing.

Thanks
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Chances are you will be fine. Towing roughly 3,000 lbs with my truck that is lifted and tuned I think the highest the trans temp got was 220 and that was pulling a grade at 80 MPH.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
This transmission is way underwhelmed for this truck. Considering Mustang GT’s and F-150’s use the same tranny. I wouldn’t worry about overheating even in 120 degree weather towing 7000 pounds uphill. That’s just my opinion

OP
OP
awd.nv

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Thanks, today was 101F when I brought the trailer home, small drive but a few red lights. Peak I saw was 215F on the trans but prior to towing it was at about 210F peak anyway. Somewhere between 205-210F without towing so I guess she likes to run warm.

That said, the way home with the red lights and all usually created hotter temps in the Pilot than freeway driving so I am thinking things will be ok.

I am at this point more concerned about taking it easy because I only have 1060miles on it. Passed the 1000mile mark but wish I was able to get to 2000-3000miles. Ford should know best so gonna trust the manual's break in numbers.

PXL_20210513_203748789.jpg

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
The Ranger has an engine coolant to transmission fluid heat exchanger, so we’re not relying on a traditional grill-mounted fluid-to-air radiator for transmission cooling. This has an additional advantage of heating the transmission fluid more quickly than is possible from transmission load alone. Assuming that Ford installed a heat exchanger of sufficient capacity, and proper controls, this is the best of both worlds. The fact that there is no additional transmission cooling upgrade when upgrading the towing capacity from 3500 to 7500 pounds is, to me, a good indicator that transmission cooling is not a problem.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Google was hard to get info since it was mostly F150 post it would pull up and some of them had an external cooler with the max tow package?
Ford no longer includes a transmission cooler for max tow on the F150 equipped with the 10 speed transmission. If it doesn't need an auxiliary cooler at the F150s max tow rating, it certainly doesn't need one on the ranger. Do note that this transmission runs hotter than old transmissions--it's designed that way, and the fluid is spec'd for that.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Slightly OT, but how are you guys using to measure the trans fluid temp?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Most of us have tunes on a Rangers and we have little tuner gauges that came with the tune but allow us to monitor different things like the transmission temp

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Most of us have tunes on a Rangers and we have little tuner gauges that came with the tune but allow us to monitor different things like the transmission temp
That or just about any of the mobile apps out there Like Torque Pro (android) or Dash Command (iOS) and a wireless OBD2 adapter.

OP
OP
awd.nv

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Don’t worry about it you’ll be fine. I towed our old trailer all over the place with only 500 miles on the truck

F8CE24F9-1C5F-49D9-9C57-BDF1CA1063A2.jpeg
Well that is good to know, your trailer seems larger too. Thanks for the input.

I use the Scan Gauge ii. I currently have it monitoring trans temp, water temp, intake air temp and load.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Well that is good to know, your trailer seems larger too. Thanks for the input.

I use the Scan Gauge ii. I currently have it monitoring trans temp, water temp, intake air temp and load.
23’ and right at max tow capacity. Our next trailer will be smaller

OP
OP
awd.nv

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Well finally got a chance to tow this past weekend. ~340 mile round trip in 90-100F weather.

So, while temps for both the engine and trans were usually between 200-215F I did have some spikes that raised eyebrows. Just not sure if it would be still within safe range.

Trans peaked 230F once and maybe 2-3 times 222F range but usually for the most part was under 220F. No lights came on and this happened when going 65mph at a slight incline with some very mild headwinds.

Engine I think peaked 219-220F but again, was usually in the 200-210F range. I was running 91 octane because I always do that especially in the summer months.

Are these numbers or should I be looking to upgrade cooling? I am a bit mixed as we still have not hit our hottest days of 110-120F

Thanks!

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
You are just fine and dandy my friend. Like others have said we don’t seem to have to worry about adding trans coolers or anything like the old days.

OP
OP
awd.nv

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
You are just fine and dandy my friend. Like others have said we don’t seem to have to worry about adding trans coolers or anything like the old days.
Yeah just used to the good ol' 230F is where trans fluid starts to break down but if this trans/fluid is happy there then all good by me. That will save me the $800+ for a radiator upgrade.

Mostly trying to find out when should I pull over and give it a break. Wondering when I should look at giving it a break and at what temp does the light come on. Manual doesn't mention it and the dealer has not returned my call (not surprised).
Sponsored