Towing downhill with increased RPM's

Hawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
This weekend was the first time with my new small overlanding trailer that is about 16" and weights about 2600 lbs. fully loaded with water filled. The route was into the Colorado mountains, up to 7% grades both up and down, lots of twisties. The 2021 Tremor did absolutely great. Very secure and plenty plenty of power.

In tow mode, I noticed that heading down some of the significant downhills that 40-45 mph would be held but the higher RPM (engine braking) would sometimes not release as fast as I expected as the road flattened out...and the RPM's would increase to what seemed to be significantly as I would press the gas pedal as it the road leveled. Any ideas about this? It was somewhat disconcerting but maybe that is normal for tow mode. But maybe it's nothing to worry about. Thanks all.
Sponsored

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i say if it is under 4k rpms and temp and dash do not show anything troublesome and not for a long time at that rpm it is not anything to worry about. tow mode will make the truck hold each gear longer at higher rpm ahead of shifting to the next gear. it could be that the trans is learning the towing shifts and will chill out after a little while. you could also use sport mode for some of those times and use the up and down shift buttons to be in the gear you want for that moment. what i do in hilly areas and switch backs is climb in tow mode to prevent the truck going to 9th and 10th gears just to shift back down over and over and then on the down side use sport mode so i can pick the gear i want for some engine breaking. the only issue with that is the sport mode shifting buttons are more of strong suggestions to the truck instead of direct orders lol.

Elgorr4

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
It is normal for tow mode. I'm not sure I like it either. It really really holds onto that last gear after you have been braking down a steep grade. Doesn't shift until 5 grand at least. I think that as soon as you get back on the gas the automatic engine braking should relax a little bit, but you're right that it takes way longer than feels comfortable.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
Mine does that on hills that you want to pick up speed on at the bottom, but I’ve fever seen more than 4500 RPM. Many hills it doesn’t do it, but often when you look down the road and hit the gas it doesn’t let go as fast as I wish, but never 5000 RPM.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
BTW, max Hp according to Ford is 5,500 RPM, and redline is 6000-6500RPM depending on who you read. So as little time as mine spends over 4000, I’m not sweating it. I have a hard time just getting tranny fluid up to 206F to check it.
Sponsored