First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2020 Lariat with tow package and dealer installed Redarc brake controller. Planning to tow a Grand Designs Imagine 17 MKE (see attached sticker). I know I need to go the scales but just wanted everyone's opinion so as to make this as safe as possible. I have an Eaz-Lift Elite weight distribution hitch with a friction-type sway controller. I had a smaller camper that the WDH came off of and wondering if I need to upgrade to a better hitch with a better sway control system. When towing the new camper home it did seem to wobble somewhat, but only pulled it like 5 miles on the highway. Also considering adding a sway bar - recommendations? Ranger tires are Hancook Dynapro ATM (51 max psi) - I had them at 45 psi when towing. I've also attached a spreadsheet containing the weights of the Ranger and camper. Comments please!!!
Ranger and TT.jpg
IMG_2729.jpg
Worksheet.JPG
Sponsored

Whodeez

First Name
nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 saber xl stx 4x4 supercrew
Occupation
food truck owner
I mean, bumper pull trailers over 2500 lbs are gonna sway a little... just nature of the beast. You should be more than fine, my concession trailer is about the same weight unloaded, but much less aerodynamic and I pull it everywhere with no WD or sway hitch, and a cheap brake controller. I will probably invest in a sway hitch when we have events again and I start doing longer trips. Ive put about 3000 miles on my current setup with the trailer, no issue.

XL 4x4 supercrew for comparison

I think people tend to forget that these trucks are far more capable than an f150 of 20 years ago, and people are still pulling 20 foot trailers around town with them today.

Last edited:

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
As you say, you need to weigh everything with your full camping load. Grand Design is better quality than some, but as-built weight can differ from advertised by quite a lot. Load distribution is as important as total weight. Most people wouldn’t tow with the water tank full, but having some water is often advantageous for emergencies, and can also be used to adjust tongue weight.

Byngsboys

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lightening Blue Ranger XLT, 302A, FX4, Tow and Technology/ 2005 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
Good afternoon:
That is a very interesting set up. Was there any cross wind the day you towed? Have you checked the tension on the friction bar (some are adjustable). I'm not sure how a sway bar and a friction sway controller are different?
You weight numbers look ok. I was thinking about something like this myself. I had limited myself to 5000 lb dry and 24ft long, but who knows.
I know that Redarc makes the controller that Ford installs in the Ranger, but they also seem to have an extra module they add. Do you know if there are any significant differences in the two?
Thanks,
Kris

OP
OP
ArkyRanger

ArkyRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Good afternoon:
That is a very interesting set up. Was there any cross wind the day you towed? Have you checked the tension on the friction bar (some are adjustable). I'm not sure how a sway bar and a friction sway controller are different?
You weight numbers look ok. I was thinking about something like this myself. I had limited myself to 5000 lb dry and 24ft long, but who knows.
I know that Redarc makes the controller that Ford installs in the Ranger, but they also seem to have an extra module they add. Do you know if there are any significant differences in the two?
Thanks,
Kris
There was not any wind, but lots of big trucks the day I towed it home. I need to make sure the ball height and everything is correct before I tow again, and probably weight it with the WDH unlooked and then again with it set at various chain links... I don't know much about the brake controller, it just have a dial and button in the middle for manual braking of the trailer - it seems to work well as I have used it pulling a flat-bed trailer with a small tractor on it.

Byngsboys

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lightening Blue Ranger XLT, 302A, FX4, Tow and Technology/ 2005 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
There was not any wind, but lots of big trucks the day I towed it home. I need to make sure the ball height and everything is correct before I tow again, and probably weight it with the WDH unlooked and then again with it set at various chain links... I don't know much about the brake controller, it just have a dial and button in the middle for manual braking of the trailer - it seems to work well as I have used it pulling a flat-bed trailer with a small tractor on it.
It sounds reasonable to me that buffeting by big trucks would unsettle the trailer a bit. I can't tell by the photo, but even a little up in the nose will have some unsettling effects. If everything else you are doing checks out, I'd try loads some extra weight at the front of the trailer, but hard to know from this kind of distance. lol

Did the trailer sway warning system come on in the Ranger? That would tell you whether the brains of the truck thought it was unsettled.

Take care,
Kris

OP
OP
ArkyRanger

ArkyRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
It sounds reasonable to me that buffeting by big trucks would unsettle the trailer a bit. I can't tell by the photo, but even a little up in the nose will have some unsettling effects. If everything else you are doing checks out, I'd try loads some extra weight at the front of the trailer, but hard to know from this kind of distance. lol

Did the trailer sway warning system come on in the Ranger? That would tell you whether the brains of the truck thought it was unsettled.

Take care,
Kris
No, the trailer sway warning system did not come on.

Byngsboys

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Educator
Vehicle Showcase
No, the trailer sway warning system did not come on.
I would take some comfort in that. If the trailer was seriously unsettled, it is supposed to.

Good luck and let me know how it works out, and I'm sorry I couldn't be more help!
Kris

Ranger_Bob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
I also have a 2020 Lariat (like yours) and was looking at about the same setup that you have. I follow some travel trailer groups and many of them swear by the ProPride WDH (the upgraded Jim Hensley Hitch). It's a bit pricey but it sounds like it enhances the towing experience.

OP
OP
ArkyRanger

ArkyRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I also have a 2020 Lariat (like yours) and was looking at about the same setup that you have. I follow some travel trailer groups and many of them swear by the ProPride WDH (the upgraded Jim Hensley Hitch). It's a bit pricey but it sounds like it enhances the towing experience.
Yes, they are very pricy, like $3k!

mikedrees

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger XL
Occupation
graphic designer
I'm towing almost exactly the same thing (4300 lbs dry). I have a husky centerline wdh and it's rock solid. I went that route so I'd have anti sway and wouldn't have to disconnect anything while backing up. I also have the 750lbs bars on it.

mikedrees

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger XL
Occupation
graphic designer
I'm towing almost exactly the same thing (4300 lbs dry). I have a husky centerline wdh and it's rock solid. I went that route so I'd have anti sway and wouldn't have to disconnect anything while backing up. I also have the 750lbs bars on it.
I'll be more exact... Husky centerline TS, 600-800lbs tounge weight

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
A little wiggle is fine, remember your trailer at the time was likely empty as you add weight the hitch weight will increase helping stability.
Why run 45 psi in the Rangers tires? Decrease tire pressure to 40 psi max or down to a minimum of the posted tire pressure placard on your truck. The truck will handle full gross weight at the placard number. Also check trailer tire pressure as well to the spec.

mikedrees

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger XL
Occupation
graphic designer
A little wiggle is fine, remember your trailer at the time was likely empty as you add weight the hitch weight will increase helping stability.
Why run 45 psi in the Rangers tires? Decrease tire pressure to 40 psi max or down to a minimum of the posted tire pressure placard on your truck. The truck will handle full gross weight at the placard number. Also check trailer tire pressure as well to the spec.
I run 55-60 with load range e tires when towing. Max load for a tire is at max pressure. Advantages of higher psi are increased load, lower tire temps, better mpg and more stability (less sidewall flex). I drop them back down to 40 ish when not towing