First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Just finished checking out my towing equipment for flat towing. Blue Ox base plates, tow bar and wiring system with diodes and RVi3 in cab auxiliary brake system. Every thing worked great. When taking my Ranger out of Neutral Tow I got a 'Check Brake System' warning on the dash read out displayed over the Neutral Tow info. Went ahead and followed the user manual instructions and got it out of Neutral tow mode. Drove it around a bit without further 'Check Brake System' warning. Has anyone else experienced this? Other web searching came up with something to do with the ABS system. Seeking more info on this.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Ruby) 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
retired
I would hope you solved the warning issue by now. It sounds like a missing or misplaced vacuum line check valve

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
Just finished checking out my towing equipment for flat towing. Blue Ox base plates, tow bar and wiring system with diodes and RVi3 in cab auxiliary brake system. Every thing worked great. When taking my Ranger out of Neutral Tow I got a 'Check Brake System' warning on the dash read out displayed over the Neutral Tow info. Went ahead and followed the user manual instructions and got it out of Neutral tow mode. Drove it around a bit without further 'Check Brake System' warning. Has anyone else experienced this? Other web searching came up with something to do with the ABS system. Seeking more info on this.
Hey, Roger. I just got my baseplate installed yesterday so this morning was my first toad experience with it. I got the exact same message. Just like you, I took it out of tow mode and started it up; the message went away and has not reappeared the rest of today.

I am using a Blue Ox Patriot II braking system; other than that, same setup as yours.

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Hey, Roger. I just got my baseplate installed yesterday so this morning was my first toad experience with it. I got the exact same message. Just like you, I took it out of tow mode and started it up; the message went away and has not reappeared the rest of today.

I am using a Blue Ox Patriot II braking system; other than that, same setup as yours.
I think it may have something to do with the inline vacuum check valves. Since it goes away, it maybe just a kind of resetting itself from the Demco unit.

The reason I stated previously that it may be a missing or miss-placed vacuum line check valve because when I removed the unit from my Jeep Wrangler, I just cut the vacuum line at the tee going to the Demco unit and just plugged the line up at the tee. Once I began driving, I got 2 errors. One was that the Auto start/stop was malfunctioning and the second was a sway control light error was lit up. Once I removed the inline vacuum check valve all was good.

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I think it may have something to do with the inline vacuum check valves. Since it goes away, it maybe just a kind of resetting itself from the Demco unit.

The reason I stated previously that it may be a missing or miss-placed vacuum line check valve because when I removed the unit from my Jeep Wrangler, I just cut the vacuum line at the tee going to the Demco unit and just plugged the line up at the tee. Once I began driving, I got 2 errors. One was that the Auto start/stop was malfunctioning and the second was a sway control light error was lit up. Once I removed the inline vacuum check valve all was good.
That's for an air-brake system, I am guessing? I don't have that with the Patriot II. Simply a mechanical floor-mounted pedal that actually depresses the brake pedal using an electronic signal. Sadly, I won't get a chance to tow again for several weeks to investigate.

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
That's for an air-brake system, I am guessing? I don't have that with the Patriot II. Simply a mechanical floor-mounted pedal that actually depresses the brake pedal using an electronic signal. Sadly, I won't get a chance to tow again for several weeks to investigate.
The system I have is the Demco Duo for standard car, truck hydraulic braking systems. Your thinking I guess the Air Force One system that utilizes the air brakes of Class A motorhomes.

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
The system I have is the Demco Duo for standard car, truck hydraulic braking systems. Your thinking I guess the Air Force One system that utilizes the air brakes of Class A motorhomes.
OK. You were talking about the vacuum line, though, and I don't have one of those and still got the same message as the OP. That's where my confusion comes from.

BillinPCB

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Miata, 2019 Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT, 2019 Ford F53 Motorhome
I get that Check Brake message every time I disconnect. Have been towing my 2019 XLT for about a year and a half (about 5,000 miles) using the Ready Brute tow bar with the mechanical surge brake.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just Towed from Green Valley to Flagstaff..roughly 300 miles and have logged about 3000 miles on my 2019 Ranger behind the motorhome...Have not had a brake warning message. Puzzling why you are getting this message. Could it be wiring related?

gremlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, looking to buy a ranger, some other toys
I'd love any more info and photos of the Stay-n-play duo install, I have one in my element toad and love it was planning on putting one into the Ranger as well
Sponsored