Towing 4 Down

Pete Warfield

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SX4
I performed a 'test tow' yesterday for the first time. Sure, everything was installed and triple checked, but until you actually drive down the highway you have doubts. Lying in bed at night picturing your new pickup passing you and then soaring off a bridge does not help your sleep cycle.

So, we decamped (one hour of hassle) and hooked up. Everything attached fine and our checklist seemed to cover all the needed steps. The new toad battery charger sprang to life and started supplying juice. The Ranger's screen gave us the correct messages and the transfer case did its thing. With slack in the tow bars, I did a push-pull test from the tailgate to ensure that the wheels were free turning.

As we rolled out of our current park, I was surprised at how different it felt. Now, on paper, the Ranger only weights 300 lbs more than the Jeep Liberty toad that it has replaced. But, it felt like it weighed much more. With that little Liberty, I never knew it was back there. But, it won't be that way with the Ranger. My gas V10 32-footer pulled it fine, but seemed sluggish and slowed much more on hills/overpasses.

After this 20+- mile trip, the ranger's hubs felt cool and the xfer case hopped right back into action. So, it did fine. But, I was confused by the feel. My 'big truck mechanic' brother-in-law discussed it with me and thought it was no big deal. He said that some vehicles just roll differently than others. Thinking about it, the tires, hubs, etc on the Ranger are much beefier than the little Jeep had. It was a successful test, but the motorhome will probably be in tow/haul mode all the time now. In the past, I only needed to use that mode in hills. I may be buying more fuel too.
That first trip is always a nail biter at least is was for me. My first trip was to a large parking lot on a Sunday. I actually had my wife film the whole thing. Of course everything went fine but you just never know. Good luck and safe travels.
Sponsored

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew, 2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1968 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Military
I performed a 'test tow' yesterday for the first time. Sure, everything was installed and triple checked, but until you actually drive down the highway you have doubts. Lying in bed at night picturing your new pickup passing you and then soaring off a bridge does not help your sleep cycle.

So, we decamped (one hour of hassle) and hooked up. Everything attached fine and our checklist seemed to cover all the needed steps. The new toad battery charger sprang to life and started supplying juice. The Ranger's screen gave us the correct messages and the transfer case did its thing. With slack in the tow bars, I did a push-pull test from the tailgate to ensure that the wheels were free turning.

As we rolled out of our current park, I was surprised at how different it felt. Now, on paper, the Ranger only weights 300 lbs more than the Jeep Liberty toad that it has replaced. But, it felt like it weighed much more. With that little Liberty, I never knew it was back there. But, it won't be that way with the Ranger. My gas V10 32-footer pulled it fine, but seemed sluggish and slowed much more on hills/overpasses.

After this 20+- mile trip, the ranger's hubs felt cool and the xfer case hopped right back into action. So, it did fine. But, I was confused by the feel. My 'big truck mechanic' brother-in-law discussed it with me and thought it was no big deal. He said that some vehicles just roll differently than others. Thinking about it, the tires, hubs, etc on the Ranger are much beefier than the little Jeep had. It was a successful test, but the motorhome will probably be in tow/haul mode all the time now. In the past, I only needed to use that mode in hills. I may be buying more fuel too.
Thank you for the excellent information. Glad everything worked out well.
Another option for your motor home is to add a tune . I have heard great feedback from a friend who has a 5 star tune on their 2013 Tiffin. I have a 2018 Jayco with the six speed transmission and have been very happy with the power, although I haven’t set up my Ranger to tow yet.
Only things I have done is put in Amsoil during the 1st oil change and I replaced the paper air filter with a K&N.
What year is your motor home?
Brian

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew, 2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1968 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Military
2020 Bay Star on a 2019 F53 chassis.
So it also has the 6 speed. I had been told that change helped quite a bit.
I think your is probably longer and heavier than ours.
Ours is 32’ built on the 20500lb chassis.
Brian

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
2020 Bay Star on a 2019 F53 chassis.
We are a 2020 Bounder, also on the 2019 F53. We are pushing (pulling!) every bit of our 24K GVWR (within 500 pounds) and 4900 more with our Explorer, so we are within a couple hundred pounds of our 29K GCWR. With the exact same V10 engine and 6-speed transmission, we have never had any issues travelling through the mountains of Kentucky/Tennessee and the areas that have an extra lane due to the severe uphill, we are almost always in the 2nd lane, passing the trucks that can't get up the hill. You will notice the Ranger more than your little Jeep because it's almost 10% heavier, but your F53 will have zero issues handling it.

RoadtripsOfUnusualSize

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Formerly owner of an Ingot FX4
Occupation
Retired
We did our first long(ish) tow of the Ranger this week. It did just fine. Remarkably, we survived crossing Houston, TX--a nerve-racking feat. I kept the tow/haul button pushed for the entire trip and the Ranger followed along back there without any issues. So, the concerns from my test tow have been allayed. Geez, I love this pickup.

Conroe.jpeg

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
We did our first long(ish) tow of the Ranger this week. It did just fine. Remarkably, we survived crossing Houston, TX--a nerve-racking feat. I kept the tow/haul button pushed for the entire trip and the Ranger followed along back there without any issues. So, the concerns from my test tow have been allayed. Geez, I love this pickup.

Conroe.jpeg
And, you did all that worrying!!! :LOL: Glad it went well.

WarEagleDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I am using a brake buddy with my Ranger and am having a hard time getting the break away switch wires through the firewall. How did you get the wire through the firewall?
I haven't read this whole thread so someone may have said this already. Getting 2 lines (for RVI Brake power & breakaway line) thru that firewall was not something I wanted to try so started looking around. I raised my rear seat up and saw a hole beside the rubber oblong seat support. After looking at it I decided that I was looking at the truck floor pan thru that hole so said a prayer and drilled a hole thru the pan. Sure enough it came out under the truck in a easily accessible area. I ran my wires thru it to the battery & the breakaway switch and sealed the holes with silicon sealer. As a bonus, there is a storage pocket under the seat that the wires easily roll up in when not in use.
Thanx,
Dan

RV Tony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
OK Roadtrip John and wareagleDan I have a 2020 Lariat I have had my RVI 3 system for the last 3 years in my jeep, Now with my new Ranger I am using blue ox tow bar and mounts but on the 12 volt power port and the battery charge did you hook up the negative lead to the battery on the ranger or to a chassis ground. I read some were not to hook the negative lead to the battery but now cant find it. I am also using RM154 diode lighting kit. Any help would be grateful.

RoadtripsOfUnusualSize

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Hi Tony. On my new 12v cigarette plug and RVi charger both, I'm pretty sure that I went to the battery post with that black wire.

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Tony. On my new 12v cigarette plug and RVi charger both, I'm pretty sure that I went to the battery post with that black wire.
Hi John,

I went to the battery with the 12V+ and chassis ground for the ground. Also put a switch on the outlet, so not powering the circuit unless the supplemental brake system is in actual operation just in case of a problem. I am not a proponent of Forscan mod of the electrical system...basically because IDK of the effect on the electrical system. So far so good for me. Next time the Ranger is behind the Alfa is on the road to Flagstaff for the month of June to escape the head before the Monsoon season begins in July....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RoadtripsOfUnusualSize

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Also put a switch on the outlet, so not powering the circuit . . .
Great hearing from you Phil. Can you describe your switch? I'll likely do the same thing.

. . . Next time the Ranger is behind the Alfa is on the road to Flagstaff for the month of June to escape the heat before the Monsoon season begins in July....
We've been full-time RVers for the last two years, but are now transitioning to seasonal RVers. Our Newmar will go into indoor storage in April, but we'll pull it back out this Summer. Instead of a July/August in DFW, we'll hopefully be at altitude in Ruidoso, NM.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Great hearing from you Phil. Can you describe your switch. I'll likely do the same thing.

We've been full-time RVers for the last two years, but are now transitioning to seasonal RVers. Our Newmar will go into indoor storage in April, but we'll pull it back out this Summer. Instead of a July/August in DFW, we'll hopefully be at altitude in Ruidoso, NM.
Hi John,

My switch is a simple wheel switch for a lamp or other device... Inexpensive and available at any hardware store. My experience with Ford prototypes and their failure modes of instrumentation, which complicate our testing and development dictated being able to switch off power to temp use circuits that are added...

As for the RV....Margie and I built our house with an attached RV garage that is 60 ft long by 15 ft wide and is part of the garage for the Ranger and Nautilus. Makes our RV residential fridge part of our three fridge system.... also third Ice Maker too...

Pic attached.

Our House_1.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RoadtripsOfUnusualSize

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Margie and I built our house with an attached RV garage
You've got a stunning home, Phil. Every motorhome owner's dream. For us, we found a great indoor motorhome storage site. It's just 30 minutes away from our new home and they should care for it nicely. As for the home we're buying, it's a townhouse in a suburban setting with lots of amenities that we'll like. It has no outdoor maintenance or repair responsibilities, so it's true "lock and leave". That will let us spend Springs and Falls in the Dallas area and then escape easily to the coast in Winter or mountains in Summer.
Sponsored