Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Another way to understand this.

You are trying to get over X obstacle and you can't do it is 4 HI. What do you do next to achieve this? Go into 4 LO. Doing such gives you the torque multiplication. With more Torque you can get over a lot of obstacles easier.

I will also add that the 2.3L does not start building much torque until it goes into boost which is around 2,000 RPM's. At 1,500 RPM's not enough boost(if any) and therefore not enough torque is generated.
Sponsored

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
To the OP's original question, you will be fine airing down off-road. I take my truck out about once a month and air down to about 24 psi with no issues and usually have around 500 lbs in the bed

I haven't got any warning messages yet

Makes the ride much more comfortable and provides for more grip

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
Another way to understand this.

You are trying to get over X obstacle and you can't do it is 4 HI. What do you do next to achieve this? Go into 4 LO. Doing such gives you the torque multiplication. With more Torque you can get over a lot of obstacles easier.

I will also add that the 2.3L does not start building much torque until it goes into boost which is around 2,000 RPM's. At 1,500 RPM's not enough boost(if any) and therefore not enough torque is generated.
"what we have here is a failure to communicate"

i keep saying "why does the truck think i need one gear in loose TMS mode, another gear in normal TMS mode, for the same terrain", and you keep saying "you need more torque"

but i dont in these situations i describe. the truck goes forward.

the only reason i can think of is that just in case i WOULD need more torque, the truck would need to downshift, and i would lose a fraction of a second of forward momentum during the shift, and maybe that would matter in some offroading situations i have yet to come across.

anyways. not the right thread.
/end confused side discussion

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Iā€™m at silver lake dunes right now and everyone is telling me I need to have 6-10psiā€¦ Iā€™m going down to 15psi, wish me luckā€¦

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Iā€™m at silver lake dunes right now and everyone is telling me I need to have 6-10psiā€¦ Iā€™m going down to 15psi, wish me luckā€¦
What's funny is force and driving these trucks do just fine around 18 PSI.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired

It's all very subjective.

A small group, limited recovery gear, I wouldn't take factory tire/rim below 15. Ideally going into a play time, I want to be 18-20, with some room to drop more and hopefully get out if I need it.

In larger group, winches, jacks, boards, spares, compressor, and willing to fix it and move on, I say give 'er. Breaks and damage are part of finding your limits. Get it fixed, learn from the experience, and take it up a notch next time, lol. Get the video and laugh about it for years.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I used my eyes and stopped at 18psi and aside from the constant nervous shrieks of my wife it did fine. Weā€™re going back in a bit and Iā€™m going to drive into some of the higher areas.

15 would have been fine on a smaller wheel, but with the 18ā€™s it was getting too low.

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Went without the wife and made it up all the big dunes with 21psi in the front and 18psi in the rear. Sand mode with the rear unlocked. Stock hankooks 1/32nd from the wear bars.
Sponsored