Tire Chains

Billdub01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Ok... so you guys are experts. Rather than trained ASE certified mechanics or people our family have delt with for 20 years plus and have more actual experience than you two. Okay ? sure..... ill be sure to come back to this forum in the future for all my questions... ya i think not!

Internet know it all asshats....
Sponsored

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
For those who haven’t read it, the Owner’s Manual has a section about snow chains, which, in addition to prescribing a maximum speed of 30 MPH, includes the following:

Only fit snow chains to the following specified tires:
• 255/70 R16 111T.
• 255/65 R17 110T.
• 265/65 R17 112T.
• 265/60 R18 110T.
• LT265/65 R17 109T.
Only use S-Class snow chains, 0.6 in (15 mm) chain links.
Only use manual tensioning chains. Do not use self-tensioning chains.
Only use snow chains in pairs on the rear axle.

Deleted member 1634

When i bought my ranger back in July they said NO CHAINS! It will f$%k up the computers in the truck. The spider wires, if the manual is saying rear only... probably again has to do with the computer/trail control. The rear is a solid axle while the fronts are independent. Totally different setup as per working with the computer. Ill check with my neighbor hes a tech at GMC. If you all want me to confirm my suspicion its due to the computer and drivetrain setup on the fronts.
Why would it mess with the computer? It what way do you/they mean?

Billdub01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I've been busy... give me a bit. Ill do my best to get an detailed answer. The dealer i bought from has an outstanding service dept. They do work on police and state vehicles plus private race cars. None of the other dealers that are local do that.

Aliby

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4, Tow package, Magnet with Black Sports package
Last edited:

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
FWIW, coming from a 25 year service veteran, ASE certifications are for showing off and literally do nothing more than prove you can pass a non-practical exam. They don't make you an expert in the practical practice of anything. Furthermore, most service writers were never technicians/mechanics themselves or, for the small few that were, they are typically the ones that couldn't hack it in the shop but didn't want to leave the industry. Take what they say with a grain of salt just the same as you would from ANY salesperson. They're literally nothing more than a salesperson who usually gets a cut on you bringing in your vehicle for broken shit so they can write service for it. Basically, they need you to break shit and bring your vehicle in so they literally have a vested interest in feeding you bullshit so that you'll break something.

Of course, your mileage may vary. ;)

Now, that said, I've used these for years and they've got me through the Sierras for many winters on both my F-150s and now my Ranger...

https://autosock.us/

They don't damage anything, fit into a small bag and are on an off in a couple minutes. They're also 100% legal and approved by most states as a chain alternative when chains are required.

Aliby

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4, Tow package, Magnet with Black Sports package
Just got and installed a set of four FactionFab 1.0" spacers. The fit is great.

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 silverado
I've been using chains on mine at work the last few days. It looks like I'll be needing them quite a bit this coming week according to the weather forecast. I always run chains on the back, always have. The front end is easier to tear up. Too many moving parts there.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, coming from a 25 year service veteran, ASE certifications are for showing off and literally do nothing more than prove you can pass a non-practical exam. They don't make you an expert in the practical practice of anything. Furthermore, most service writers were never technicians/mechanics themselves or, for the small few that were, they are typically the ones that couldn't hack it in the shop but didn't want to leave the industry. Take what they say with a grain of salt just the same as you would from ANY salesperson. They're literally nothing more than a salesperson who usually gets a cut on you bringing in your vehicle for broken shit so they can write service for it. Basically, they need you to break shit and bring your vehicle in so they literally have a vested interest in feeding you bullshit so that you'll break something.

Of course, your mileage may vary. ;)

Now, that said, I've used these for years and they've got me through the Sierras for many winters on both my F-150s and now my Ranger...

https://autosock.us/

They don't damage anything, fit into a small bag and are on an off in a couple minutes. They're also 100% legal and approved by most states as a chain alternative when chains are required.
You are right on about service writers and include parts people. I think that parts and service should be made up of old mechanics. Then they "may" have a clue about what they talking about.

I am surprised that the sock works. But, I will take your word on it. Have you tried them on wet clay?

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
You are right on about service writers and include parts people. I think that parts and service should be made up of old mechanics. Then they "may" have a clue about what they talking about.

I am surprised that the sock works. But, I will take your word on it. Have you tried them on wet clay?
It looks like it would work like a nylon scrubby to clean pots and pans. I've used some that would scour the non-stick coating off of pots.

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 silverado
I need chains to get around off road to gas wells

20210210_112445.jpg
Sponsored