Tier 1 Gasoline

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Thanks so much for that, former tanker yanker. I've never noticed that top-tier logo before but now I have to start paying attention for that. I'm not so sure that is used down here in Florida. Now I'm going to start looking at every gas station I go by or pull into even though I always use the name brands like Chevron and Mobil and BP and Shell. P.S. Is that left to right on the driver side from front to back, or on the passenger side from rear to front? I suspect your answer will say front the back.
The gas stations you listed are Top-Tire stations. In Florida I’d avoid RaceTrac, not saying the gas is bad, or their stores in general but their gas isn’t top-tier. Costco is top tier as well if you really want to save some money, the $50 annual membership is worth the cost when you can get premium for $1 less a gallon than chevron.
Sponsored

drvred

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX2
Occupation
Trucker
All gasoline has detergent additive, it is injected as the truck is loaded.
Gas is gas, the example of the truck leaving a branded station, then stopping at an unbranded station is common.
The gas for both stations came through the same hose, the additives are different.
In an 8500 gallon truckload, there is less than 1 gallon of additive.
My Ranger (and my Escape)seems to get better fuel mileage using unbranded gas.

MinuteMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Fart Can collector
I also run a tank of that ethanol free 91 octane every now and then. I really wish they would stop ethanol gasoline anyway. There's a lot of hungry people in the world that could use that corn instead of our vehicles. They say it really doesn't change the price very much at all. I don't know why they overprice that ethanol free unless it's because of the 91 octane.

Hello,

Corn is not a good food for hungry/starving people. It is nutrient baron and seen by the body as a glucose molecule. What the body doesn't burn as "fuel", it stores as fat. That is just one reason why many of the kids in 3rd world countries have distended bellies. Corn=garbage for the body. Why does the government subsidize farmers to grow it? A variety of reasons. Corn oils are cheap and contain free radicals and poufas. They rewire the body to be unable to burn body fat. Corn sustains the body. It is stable when dry and has a shelf life when canned. It is seen as humanitarian to provide corn to other countries. Why is America obese? Corn is one reason. Put it in your truck, not in your body. Cheers brother, happy days and check out the benefits of ghee, avocado oil, and coconut oil. 87, 89, 91, 93... It don't matter unless you are towing or racing.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Hello,

Corn is not a good food for hungry/starving people. It is nutrient baron and seen by the body as a glucose molecule. What the body doesn't burn as "fuel", it stores as fat. That is just one reason why many of the kids in 3rd world countries have distended bellies. Corn=garbage for the body. Why does the government subsidize farmers to grow it? A variety of reasons. Corn oils are cheap and contain free radicals and poufas. They rewire the body to be unable to burn body fat. Corn sustains the body. It is stable when dry and has a shelf life when canned. It is seen as humanitarian to provide corn to other countries. Why is America obese? Corn is one reason. Put it in your truck, not in your body. Cheers brother, happy days and check out the benefits of ghee, avocado oil, and coconut oil. 87, 89, 91, 93... It don't matter unless you are towing or racing.
It seems to me that most ANY food is good for anyone STARVING. Do we tell a starving child, “don’t eat that, it’s bad for you”, when the option is to go hungry? You clearly know more about this than I do, so I’m curious what alternative nutritional foods can be provided as aid in the mass quantities required to feed some third world populations? I know that many African nations have made great strides in irrigation techniques allowing some communities to become more self sufficient, but many parts of the world still require significant food aids.

As for Ethanol as a fuel source, it’s seems like it’s never gained traction and the nominal 5-10% additive appears to cause more problems than it solves. EV has clearly separated itself as the alternative fuel of the future, so why even bother with Ethanol at this point? Do auto manufactures and gas companies embrace the idea of Ethanol, or is it still just a Gov’t requirement thrust upon them that they just have to deal with?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Delirious

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,

Brother, thank you for the education! You definitely sound like someone who knows what they're talking about and not just something they read. As I read it I remembered that's why my cousin would put their cows in the stall and corn feed them just to fatten them up. Now I can say it's true because I read it on the Internet. Ha ha. All jokes aside, it's verifiable what you said. But I never knew that part about the Third World countries. Now I feel more bad for those Third World kids. And now I can stop thinking of obese Americans as lard asses and and think of them as corn asses instead. I AM a lard ass because I love my butter and I don't eat much corn at all and now I'm going to eat even less of it. I even need to lose my lard ass. The metabolism just doesn't work the same as when I was younger and could eat anything and as much as I wanted and not gain any weight. And now is much more about other health issues than just weight. And thanks for the tips on the octane there. I think I learned that here just last week.

Last edited:

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
I have never heard the term Tier 1, I have always searched for Top Tier, which gas stations will have stamped on their pumps usually, at least around my hometown. We have a mom and pop gas station down the road from my house and their gasoline is Top Tier Valero gasoline but you wouldn't know that until you got to the pump. It is one of the 2 stations (the other is a Valero branded station) I use here in town that are Top Tier Ethanol Free. I know that the Love's and Murphy's in my town are not Top Tier.
Valero gas is CRAP! We have one here, its cheaper gas than Murphy at Walmart.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
As for Ethanol as a fuel source, it’s seems like it’s never gained traction and the nominal 5-10% additive appears to cause more problems than it solves. EV has clearly separated itself as the alternative fuel of the future, so why even bother with Ethanol at this point? Do auto manufactures and gas companies embrace the idea of Ethanol, or is it still just a Gov’t requirement thrust upon them that they just have to deal with?
For one thing, it requires a government subsidy (i.e. our tax dollars) to get enough corn grown to make the ethanol to put into gas. Second, the farm lobby loves the subsidies. Ethanol is actually a net loss in energy because it requires more energy to produce than it gives back in the form of gasoline. Ethanol in gasoline has nothing to do with the environment and everything to do with politics. I often run E15 in my Ranger because 1) it's cheaper and 2) I look at it as getting some of my tax dollars back.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
Ethanol is actually a net loss in energy because it requires more energy to produce than it gives back in the form of gasoline.
This hasn't been true for decades.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
That's not what I've heard once you add up all the diesel fuel that farming and transportation equipment uses.
If it wasn't true then they wouldn't need subsidies.

Last edited:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I've heard this as well, mainly do to the fact you have to ship in in containers. Since it absorbs moisture it can't be transported in pipelines. Run a gallon of E85 an a gallon of regular an you won't get anywhere near the mileage so you have to factor the loss of energy production too.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Goodyear
I mean, the information is nothing more than a simple Google search away. The premise that ethanol requires more energy than it produces has been thoroughly debunked by multiple sources.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
I mean, the information is nothing more than a simple Google search away. The premise that ethanol requires more energy than it produces has been thoroughly debunked by multiple sources.
Google's objectivity has also been debunked in recent years.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Goodyear
Google's objectivity has also been debunked in recent years.
Can you cite any data from this century that concludes that ethanol has a negative fuel balance?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Can you cite any data from this century that concludes that ethanol has a negative fuel balance?

https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2001/08/ethanol-corn-faulted-energy-waster-scientist-says
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesc...al-corn-ethanol-is-of-no-use/?sh=7d24bac967d3

I've never been a fan of ethanol - the US has a surplus of oil from the ground, ethanol has been and continues to be subsidized , a select number of farmers have become very wealthy from it's mandated use and I agree its continued use is largely based on politics, itscontinued use does cost the US consumer hundreds of millions in additional annual fuel cost.

Now the US government does cite studies that show that ethanol is not a negative fuel balance , but the link to the Forbes article cites a number of other considerations - one example is Brazil where use of sugar cane to produce ethanol is a primary driver of extensive clear cutting of the amazon rain forest.

The reasons that once prompted the need for ethanol - primarily to decrease dependence on imported oil have long ceased to exist, in other words if the gov subsidies were removed and ethanol use no longer mandated it likely would not survive in the free market.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Goodyear
https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2001/08/ethanol-corn-faulted-energy-waster-scientist-says
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesc...al-corn-ethanol-is-of-no-use/?sh=7d24bac967d3

I've never been a fan of ethanol - the US has a surplus of oil from the ground, ethanol has been and continues to be subsidized , a select number of farmers have become very wealthy from it's mandated use and I agree its continued use is largely based on politics, itscontinued use does cost the US consumer hundreds of millions in additional annual fuel cost.

Now the US government does cite studies that show that ethanol is not a negative fuel balance , but the link to the Forbes article cites a number of other considerations - one example is Brazil where use of sugar cane to produce ethanol is a primary driver of extensive clear cutting of the amazon rain forest.
I don't have a dog in the fight for or against ethanol. But the statement that producing ethanol yields a net energy loss is false and nothing in article supports it being true.
Sponsored