Psykostevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
these gains seem to be with the CAI and tune only. looks like there may be more to eek out with the use of a better downpipe, chargepipes, and exhaust, each of which can help with power, torque, and throttle response.
The power comes from tunes that raise or ignore the airload and thermal limits in Fords factory calibration. Most likely this tune leaves all of Fords safety measures in place but raises the Demanded Torque output high enough to skim under those limits.
Sponsored

FlRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Only 14 hp?? I need more lol

Psykostevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Only 14 hp?? I need more lol
i think a lot of people will see it as underwhelming. I think that they actually used Before and After results on the 93 Octane. If that’s true, the OAR value would be set to the more optimal setting than what the truck is rated at on paper.

the recommended 87 octane fuel will cause a negative value for the OAR and therefor demand lower torque than the factory tune is capable of, and probably why we are only rated at 270/310. If you can use high enough quality fuel and allow the OAR to adapt to the highest value, this 2.3 seems to be programmed to produce about 330hp/340tq at the crank. I have a feeling that their numbers are taking 14hp gains on top of the more favorable 330-esque number meaning that this tune may produce 345ish crank HP.

I don’t have exact details on their testing parameters, but I can see what this stock tune is capable of in the right conditions.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
i think a lot of people will see it as underwhelming. I think that they actually used Before and After results on the 93 Octane. If that’s true, the OAR value would be set to the more optimal setting than what the truck is rated at on paper.

the recommended 87 octane fuel will cause a negative value for the OAR and therefor demand lower torque than the factory tune is capable of, and probably why we are only rated at 270/310. If you can use high enough quality fuel and allow the OAR to adapt to the highest value, this 2.3 seems to be programmed to produce about 330hp/340tq at the crank. I have a feeling that their numbers are taking 14hp gains on top of the more favorable 330-esque number meaning that this tune may produce 345ish crank HP.

I don’t have exact details on their testing parameters, but I can see what this stock tune is capable of in the right conditions.
Note, the performance numbers provided for the Ranger are provided on 91 octane, not 87. They "recommend" 87, but the truck is designed to run on 91 per the manual for both "towing and performance" scenarios.

Psykostevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Note, the performance numbers provided for the Ranger are provided on 91 octane, not 87. They "recommend" 87, but the truck is designed to run on 91 per the manual for both "towing and performance" scenarios.
And that wouldn’t be the case if the truck was really tuned for only 87.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
And that wouldn’t be the case if the truck was really tuned for only 87.
Which is my point. The 2.3L Ecoboost isn't tuned only for 87, so anything that's related to an 87-only engine doesn't apply to these.

Psykostevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Which is my point. The 2.3L Ecoboost isn't tuned only for 87, so anything that's related to an 87-only engine doesn't apply to these.
I am agreeing with you on this. After studying the tune for a while it’s very obvious this thing isn’t tuned for just 87.

Fish

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD Ranger Lariat Hot Pepper Red, 1993 F-150 XLT
Occupation
HVACR
Vehicle Showcase
Question on fuel ?
I also noticed that on Roush system, they want a min of 91 oct fuel on their CAI & tune. I have been using 93 octane having ethnol since I picked up my truck. I just started using a premium non-ethnol fuel, about 3 tanks now, and it seems to me that the engine is running better but I just noticed on filling the tank last time that it is a 90 octane fuel.
Question: Does anyone have knowledge on how a 93 oct fuel w/ethnol stackes up against a 90 oct fuel non-ethnol ??
And how that would work in our turbo engine with a Roush tune wanting a min of 91 oct ??
Thanks for any thought.

Psykostevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Question on fuel ?
I also noticed that on Roush system, they want a min of 91 oct fuel on their CAI & tune. I have been using 93 octane having ethnol since I picked up my truck. I just started using a premium non-ethnol fuel, about 3 tanks now, and it seems to me that the engine is running better but I just noticed on filling the tank last time that it is a 90 octane fuel.
Question: Does anyone have knowledge on how a 93 oct fuel w/ethnol stackes up against a 90 oct fuel non-ethnol ??
And how that would work in our turbo engine with a Roush tune wanting a min of 91 oct ??
Thanks for any thought.
Good questions. The stoich AFR in the tune is set at around 14.05 which is to be assumptive of E10-15 fuels. You can still run E0 fuels in it too, but the E0 Stoic is closer to 14.7 AFR. Regardless of which fuel you put it, the truck has a Wideband O2 sensor so it can maintain perfect AFR target in all closed or open loop driving modes. If the AFR adjustment exceeds a safety value (usually about 13% adjustment either way) it will throw a check engine light.

Being that the ECU is smart enough to figure out ethanol content, you shouldn’t throw a rich or lean code from just alcohol content and would more than likely be from a part failure or intake or exhaust leak.

Ethanol-free fuels tend to burn at a different rate than ethanol does, and requires a shorter injector window than ethanol fuels. But nothing you would feel yourself. More than likely there is an actual quality difference between the two fuels you got that goes above and beyond alcohol content.

Fish

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD Ranger Lariat Hot Pepper Red, 1993 F-150 XLT
Occupation
HVACR
Vehicle Showcase
Good questions. The stoich AFR in the tune is set at around 14.05 which is to be assumptive of E10-15 fuels. You can still run E0 fuels in it too, but the E0 Stoic is closer to 14.7 AFR. Regardless of which fuel you put it, the truck has a Wideband O2 sensor so it can maintain perfect AFR target in all closed or open loop driving modes. If the AFR adjustment exceeds a safety value (usually about 13% adjustment either way) it will throw a check engine light.

Being that the ECU is smart enough to figure out ethanol content, you shouldn’t throw a rich or lean code from just alcohol content and would more than likely be from a part failure or intake or exhaust leak.

Ethanol-free fuels tend to burn at a different rate than ethanol does, and requires a shorter injector window than ethanol fuels. But nothing you would feel yourself. More than likely there is an actual quality difference between the two fuels you got that goes above and beyond alcohol content.
Thank you Steve for the info. After reading, I did do some research on the internet in reguards to make-up of ethanol fuels and octane and now see clearer and with better understand all you stated. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Roush CAI this weekend. Looks nice, feels nice and sounds really nice! I'm holding off on the tune aspect until both my AFE charge pipes arrive and I decide what I'm doing with exhaust.

dannewps

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Installed the Roush Performance Pac Level 1 today. I am blown away by the package. I do have the SPD Downpipe and Axle Dump Exhaust. Together, this thing now rips. The turbo noise it loud and sounds great. Waiting on my Mountune FMIC to finish off the package. Well done Roush!

Intake 2.jpg

Intake.jpg
Sponsored