First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I have yet to hear what the PCM and other relevant modules readouts from your truck say. It’s the keys to unlocking this puzzle as well as the physical post mortem tear down. Any fatality accident they sure pull this data and can say with a high amount of certainty it was caused by.... The combination of both tells the whole story. That includes the tune that was active. Honestly until that is resolved and presented in a written report it’s all speculation and excuses to kick the can down the road farther and keep you walking
Sponsored

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 VW Golf R Stage 2+, VW Tiguan Stage 1, VW 1958 Bug, 1776cc Stroker Motor, VW 2008 beetle, BMW 2012 K1600GTL, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, I didn't realize he changed the intake. That would be a BIG change to the engine itself. I'm not sure the full exhaust would cause a total meltdown. Believe me, I totally understand what you are saying. I purposely stayed away from anything other than a cat-back with no downpipe to be as careful as possible (I have a 5/125K warranty). I was after the extra performance gains my tune offers because she breathes twice as good....but not too good ;)
He deleted his showcase so when I went back in to look at what he had done to the truck it was gone.
I would never change a major engine component, like an intake, while under warranty. All I have done to mine is an EM-BOV and I installed the aFe power scoop on my stock air box and a K&N filter. That's it for engine mods....and I would challenge Ford in a minute if they tried to tell me that hurt my Ranger! Even with my tune I don't feel like I'm pushing my motor to any limits at all....
Of course Ford doesn't give a rats arse how I feel about anything so there you go.....
As always...IMHO.
Deleted my Show case? What’s that? And I haven’t deleted anything... I had everything posted on my page with picture etc... My mods are:
1: blow off valve
2. ECU Upgrade, intake, inter cooler tubes with ECU remap and Dyno pull
3. 3” Catted down pipe, with remap, and Dyno pull..
4. 3” AFE Apollo GT straight through exhaust...
Everything is AFE and purchased through 5 Star Tuning.. but what’s a show case? I’m sorry if I’m ignorant to a show case?? Is that what would be considered a Signature? On other forums??

Last edited:
OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 2019 Ford Ranger, 2012 VW Golf R Stage 2+, VW Tiguan Stage 1, VW 1958 Bug, 1776cc Stroker Motor, VW 2008 beetle, BMW 2012 K1600GTL, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Vehicle Showcase
What’s a show case??

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Deleted my Show case? What’s that? And I haven’t deleted anything... I had everything posted on my page with picture etc... My mods are:
1: blow off valve
2. ECU Upgrade, intake, inter cooler tubes with ECU remap and Dyno pull
3. 3” Catted down pipe, with remap, and Dyno pull..
4. 3” AFE Apollo GT straight through exhaust...
Relax man.....
I looked at where you had a showcase posted and all I saw was you were "going dark".
Look, I'm all for you getting fixed up with Ford. I think Mac Haik dealerships are pirates....I've dealt with them years ago when I lived in Houston...I'm a native.
Don't pay any attention to the doom crew or reactionary crowd in here. I would be upset too but you'll get pissed in here quick if your not careful. I believe most folks in here have good intentions.

With that being said you do have done significant modifications to your truck. Stuff that would scare the crap out of me to do to a truck under warranty, but we all have our own ideas about life, right?

I guess the bottom line is that any of us that have done ANY modifications and run ANY aftermarket programming whether its custom or OTS potentially face the same outcome.

Good luck Shane, I will continue to watch for updates but will stay out of the fray on this from now on ;)

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
What’s a show case??
Look at the bottom of your profile set when you post.....
You'll see vehicle showcase 1, if you click on the 1 it will take you there.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
That would be a BIG change to the engine itself.
In years past, yes. With these motors, no. Intakes don't do much, and they don't require a tune. Downpipes are about the only mod that requires a tune. Charge pipe, blow offs, catbacks, intercoolers are all great upgrades that don't require tuning.

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Look at the bottom of your profile set when you post.....
You'll see vehicle showcase 1, if you click on the 1 it will take you there.
Thank you

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
In years past, yes. With these motors, no. Intakes don't do much, and they don't require a tune. Downpipes are about the only mod that requires a tune. Charge pipe, blow offs, catbacks, intercoolers are all great upgrades that don't require tuning.
I'll take your word for it that an intake would not change internal engine pressures. I was an avionics mechanic in the military and not an engine guy ;)

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
I'll take your word for it that an intake would not change internal engine pressures. I was an avionics mechanic in the military and not an engine guy ;)
The turbo is the key here. The turbo can only force so much air into the engine regardless of how much air is available. Then the computer measures the air and adds the correct amount of fueling. That's an oversimplified explanation, but basically the gist.

OP
OP
Project Midnight

Project Midnight

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think any tune is worth $14K. I think you could do a 2.7L swap for less than that, even if you paid a shop to do it. :)
That’s my dilemma... I want to purchase the new Ranger Raptor, and if I sell this or trade it in? Where’s the dollar value?? Would you buy a 2 year old truck with a new engine?? Why did this 2 year old truck, need a new engine?? Was the previous owner dogging it?? No, but I can’t prove that... If he had to replace the engine, is the transmission trashed?? No, but if it was me as a buyer, I’d walk away, and I wouldn’t blame any buyer otherwise... that’s my dilemma... I’m basically screwed... ?

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
All I know is I if paid for the teardown and fault detection I'd be pissed if the answer was "all the mods".

I've got a feeling that we aren't getting the whole truth.
Agree. And mentioned that Ford needs to be more open with their investigation multiple times in my prior post.

I paid for the initial tear down of $1600 to tell me what specific mod caused the failure... No returned phone calls, my wife would leave a message (1 message) daily to return a call. They then quoted $2000 for additional tear down to specifically see what ”mod” caused the failure... If you already blanket swept the first tear down, to “all the mods” do you think I’m going to pay an additional $2000 to say the same damn thing... no, I’m not... I’m not complaining to pay to play, I just want to know what happened... and if a warranty covers it, that would be awesome... did the oil pump go out, and Ford wants to blame “all the mods” to not cover the cost?? Who knows... I know that 5 Star has more pull of getting information from Ford, than we do... I paid for warranties, and I’m just playing my cards... just saying...
Genuinely confused what part of my post you actual read and comprehended and how that led to this post.

Which leads directly into comments about how Ford employees could potentially be tired of your personal and unique methodology in communications.

FWIW, I supported your argument, multiple times, that Ford needs to present their findings from the investigation and be more open. You got that, right?

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Who cares if they are tired of him, does it even matter. He paid for a product (tear down / diagnosis), now cough it up. If they want to "fire him" as a customer then refund his money and he can use it to go somewhere else.

I'm all for firing a customer (because some can be insufferable douche bags), but you don't get to keep the money and the product.

Companies that are quick to cash the check but slow to deliver are just as bad as terrible customers.

Edit: I could totally be that guy if my bank pissed me off I'd show up to deposit $5,000 in pennies.

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
The turbo is the key here. The turbo can only force so much air into the engine regardless of how much air is available. Then the computer measures the air and adds the correct amount of fueling. That's an oversimplified explanation, but basically the gist.
Here's what Anthony at @Livernois Motorsports says:

"Regarding adding an aftermarket downpipe, a tune update requires some adjustments to the rear o2 sensor readings to take that higher flowing catalyst into account along with some other proprietary calibration changes to optimize performance further. Since these vehicles are speed density and do not run a traditional Ford MAF like a 5.0L mustang would for example, there are no tune adjustments needed for many of the common bolt on mods that affect air / exhaust flow including charge pipes, cold air intakes, and cat back exhausts as well. Speed density vehicles such as this come factory equipped with a wideband o2 and MAP sensor based monitoring systems that allow the to adapt and adjust on the fly as needed where the ECU is able to adjust timing and boost accordingly to take full advantage of cooler more dense air charge entering the system. The most common mods that do entail new tune adjustments would be the higher flow downpipes, cooler thermostats, methanol injection, upgraded turbos, fuel systems, etc."

parkranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX super crew
Occupation
Locksmith
Who cares if they are tired of him, does it even matter. He paid for a product (tear down / diagnosis), now cough it up. If they want to "fire him" as a customer then refund his money and he can use it to go somewhere else.

I'm all for firing a customer (because some can be insufferable douche bags), but you don't get to keep the money and the product.

Companies that are quick to cash the check but slow to deliver are just as bad as terrible customers.

Edit: I could totally be that guy if my bank pissed me off I'd show up to deposit $5,000 in pennies.
Just a heads up, that's over 2700lbs worth of pennies! (Assuming 2.5grams per penny)
Sponsored

Last edited: