Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
Of who? Its a general statement.

The current generation of misfits apparently love the "cancel culture".
Lol this has been happening for decades. Nice try playing the Generation Blame Game.
Sponsored

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
I think there is a LOT of speculation here. Motor hasnt been taken apart or diagnosed yet. Ford will have all the data they need form the PCM and they will see if it had too much timing or if it went lean. Then tear it down and it might be mechanical, oil pump or drive or spun bearing or many other things. I hope OP makes out well with Ford. Bret

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
tenor-46231375.gif

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I think there is a LOT of speculation here. Motor hasnt been taken apart or diagnosed yet. Ford will have all the data they need form the PCM and they will see if it had too much timing or if it went lean. Then tear it down and it might be mechanical, oil pump or drive or spun bearing or many other things. I hope OP makes out well with Ford. Bret
Hi Bret,

Well said....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
I have my ranger and I have an eco mustang. Honestly, this might be the first I've heard of a popped ranger motor. Mustang motors? I hear of those everyday. I will say that most of those I hear about (forums, facebook) with tunes have a hard time with their ford warranty covering it. There are some that do get help though. My advice is to be honest, cordial, and find a dealer that it willing to fight for you. You may luck out. Hopefully if you don't, then 5 star will have your back. I didn't know they offered warranties, but that's good to hear as long as they honor it as needed.

The mustang crowd cracks me up. It's usually some young guy beating the crap out of his car, sharing drag racing or burnout videos on facebook. A week later " I don't know why my car blew up". I'm not accusing you of that, I think it's mainly a twist of bad luck. Hopefully it all works out in your favor.
What are you seeing as the primary failure mode on the Stang forums? Just broken rods and pistons from non-vigilant owners or is something else at work like a weak link somewhere?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Yep, this was me that made that comment but as this thread is showing, shit spirals on accusations. I asked a question, not offering advise; how dare you accuse me of moral turpitude. You have no idea how I would react if this had happened to me so to question my ethics??? :mad:
Ugh. Let me walk you through this. You stated:

Jeebus! Soooo glad you got the warranty on the tune just in case. However, I am sure Ford would try and push for "it's their fault." Did you reset to factory tune before you took it in?
So why did you ask him about resetting the tune?

If I were standing beside you when you said that, I would have asked you: "Why would you do that?"

And in reply, you would have said to me what, exactly?

You see that's the thing about the internet. I can't see your face, I take what you write exactly the way it's written. You poke Ford with a stick, then ask about the reset.

Are you accusing Ford of moral turpitude?

Last edited:

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
You realize of course that Ford or the tune company is not going to pay for the new motor. The next year buyers will.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
That's what I read in the fine print at the Ford Performance blurb. Maybe this will change in time (with service records) but in the meantime where would it leave us if we install, then tow?
Which makes a person wonder if that is in the fine print on the other tunes also.

It kind of makes sense. The tune is about making short burst HP, right? (Think dyno pull) But if you are pulling that much for mile after mile, hour after hour that's some serious strain on the motor. (Think dyno pull and let the motor rev for hours - NASCAR style)

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Which makes a person wonder if that is in the fine print on the other tunes also.

It kind of makes sense. The tune is about making short burst HP, right? (Think dyno pull) But if you are pulling that much for mile after mile, hour after hour that's some serious strain on the motor. (Think dyno pull and let the motor rev for hours)
I can only speak for Livernois but they have a dedicated tow tune. I'm guessing for the reason/example you posted here.

Swishpapasweets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT,1998 Ford Ranger XLT
Hmmm maybe you can just swap in a used 2.7 ecoboost? Lol I was toying with the idea once my warranty expires

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Unless my logic is incorrect, I think the tow tune is more about the transmission programming than the engine programming. I could be totally wrong about this but someone probably knows..

And side note, instead of messing with a V6, you can install a 2 liter block punched out to 2.3L and really make some juice. Like 600+ hp. If that's your thing. Someone mentioned this a few pages back. Could be a good option when and if more of us start venting our blocks.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Ugh. Let me walk you through this. You stated:

So why did you ask him about resetting the tune?

If I were standing beside you when you said that, I would have asked you: "Why would you do that?"

And in reply, you would have said to me what, exactly?

You see that's the thing about the internet. I can't see your face, I take what you write exactly the way it's written. You poke Ford with a stick, then ask about the reset.

Are you accusing Ford of moral turpitude?
Yep, you're correct. Random highlighting words and sentences proves your point. Be happy pulling up your big boy pants and standing over your vanquished. Slide back into your cave until it's time to come out and throw your two cents of knowledge into the ring. I give.

Reactions: Doc

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I can only speak for Livernois but they have a dedicated tow tune. I'm guessing for the reason/example you posted here.
I did some programming.. 30 years ago :p, but it seems to me like they could have it set-up when you push the "Tow" button, that it changes the program... then when you disengage the "Tow" button, the tune changes back?

Maybe that's another $850... :surprised:
Sponsored