First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
the magnuson law is great for certain things, but when a warranty has specific language stating things like "Damage caused by misuse or accidents / damage caused by alteration or modification" and you accept this legally binding contract.....what leg do you have to stand on when the technical expertise points to a failure because of "xyz" alteration.
The key is burden of proof. I've had dealers try to tell me that my aftermarket air intake caused my seat heater to quit working. Or that the shop that changed my oil caused my transmission to break. It simply takes the phrase 'Can you prove that xxx caused yyy to happen?' to eliminate most problems.
Sponsored

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
the magnuson law is great for certain things, but when a warranty has specific language stating things like...
I believe that part of the point of the Magnuson-Moss Act is that it renders certain types of warranty language unenforceable

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think everyone knows that adding certain mods can/will/might void certain parts of your warranty. Yes they're going to have full access to better lawyers than we will unless you have some very deep pockets but they still have to prove your mod caused the failure. Seems like we should wait for the OP to see exactly what caused this failure first. It might be something simple like a failed oil pump or a loose bolt somewhere? Maybe it was the tune but it seems unlikely because these motors are capable of far more power than what they have now. Unless the OP was beating the tar out of in night and day (highly unlikely) I'm guessing it was a mechanical failure. ?‍♂

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I just went out and checked my truck build date (09/19) and engine build date (08/21/19)! :clock:

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Wasn’t sure where to post this, but I feel like everyone should know... I’m running a 5 Star Tune, blow off valve, AFE inter cooler pipes, intake, and 3” exhaust... everything has been bought through 5 Star Tuning... I’ve had the 93 performance tune since 5,000 miles, and it’s ran flawlessly.... I’m currently at 19’000 miles... was heading to work one morning, and the low oil pressure light came on, CLANK CLANK CLANK, sounded like I threw a rod.... currently have it back at my dealer, to see if Ford will cover the repair... I think the oil pump went south, or maybe the rod bolts weren’t tightend to spec?? Don’t know, but I purchased the 5 Star Tuning Warranty when I bought the tune, just in case... I don’t think it was the tune, but I bet Ford is gonna try and blame them... My dealer is pushing for Ford to cover the cost, because the miles are so low... I had no check engine lights before the melt down... I’ll keep everyone posted how this comes out... Wish me luck... ?
Get a built motor for the same price... 2.0 block is better..it’ll take 500 hp ....Jmho
Regards
Doc
Edit : Call Panda ..

Last edited:

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
When experts build higher performance engines they dont just add equipment that increases HP or torque. They also add stronger lower end and driveline equipment. Also I would assume that if you think that you need more HP or torque you plan to be using it. So, wide open throttle and higher rpms were probably your norm. The bottom line is if you want to play then you have to pay. If you buy a steak from the store and take it home and burn it do you think that the store should give you a new steak free. :rolleyes:

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
We should also note that because it's not covered does not mean any warranties are voided - Benny
Perhaps this is a good thread and opportunity for our resident Ford Dealer to clarify some things. I know a lot of us on this forum bought our FPP tune from Levittown so it should be beneficial for everyone to hear their thoughts on the matter.

Benny, I have an email from Levittown that states my original 5/60k powertain warranty contract as well as my extended 8/125k extended warranty contract is still intact after installing the FPP tune. How the warranty was explained to me (by Mike D) is that the 3/36k warranty contract that comes with the FPP tune covers any parts or labor that may fault while the tune is installed, like if the ECM malfunctioned, or the Procal4 died. If after 3/36k but before 5/60k, or if I decided to install the FPP tune myself rather than an ASE shop or Ford Dealer, then I won't be eligible for a new Procal4 but my original powertrain will still cover a malfunctioned ECM even with the tune installed.

If any of this is correct or not correct could you please verify and explain. Thank you.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Perhaps this is a good thread and opportunity for our resident Ford Dealer to clarify some things. I know a lot of us on this forum bought our FPP tune from Levittown so it should be beneficial for everyone to hear their thoughts on the matter.

Benny, I have an email from Levittown that states my original 5/60k powertain warranty contract as well as my extended 8/125k extended warranty contract is still intact after installing the FPP tune. How the warranty was explained to me (by Mike D) is that the 3/36k warranty contract that comes with the FPP tune covers any parts or labor that may fault while the tune is installed, like if the ECM malfunctioned, or the Procal4 died. If after 3/36k but before 5/60k, or if I decided to install the FPP tune myself rather than an ASE shop or Ford Dealer, then I won't be eligible for a new Procal4 but my original powertrain will still cover a malfunctioned ECM even with the tune installed.

If any of this is correct or not correct could you please verify and explain. Thank you.
A tune is a tune and their warranty is ridiculous ...blow up your motor it’s on you ..

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Ok since no one has pointed out the obvious. If you share photos of your truck on here (like your avatar *cough cough* OP) - it is not unheard of for dealership employees to snoop on well known platform websites trying to connect the dots when they have suspicions....

Not to mention having morbid dickhead members who might figure out your locale info and ratting you out. Why? Because some people are just pieces of shit thats why. It could be as simple as jealousy of having money to modify your vehicle more than them or some other simple minded reason for being a butthole sniffer.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
You are hot rodding the motor, it died. Now Ford should fix it?
What am I missing?
I agree. Not that I want to wish ill will on anyone, but if the manufacturer is to be held responsible for failures on vehicles that are operating way outside of their parameters, where would they every draw a line? I think Ford should try to identify the cause to make sure it wasn't a random failure, but that will be hard to do. Glad the OP paid for the 5 star warranty. Good luck, hope it all works out!!

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Ford Has a similar tune, it’s just not Ford Performance tuned... ?
Yes, but Ford hast tested their own tune and deemed it to not be detrimental to durabilty and they make money off it also to offset potential failures. So IF an aftermarket tune was potentially or possibly to blame for a failure, you have to see Ford's point. You were smart to buy the 5 star tune with their warranty.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Of who? Its a general statement.

The current generation of misfits apparently love the "cancel culture".
I think if someone calls a dealer on a member of a forum it has a direct correlation with how much of a d*ckhead the member getting called about was.
Sponsored