Sponsored

Thermostat change - observations

db_tanker

Well-Known Member
First Name
Darrell
Joined
Mar 21, 2020
Threads
34
Messages
449
Reaction score
983
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
So was driving to get some lunch while at work and on the way back apparently my t-stat decided to say nope not gonna close anymore.

Got the code thrown at me saying coolant too low - P0128 - and so on the ride home that afternoon I watched my torque pro like a hawk and never saw coolant temp get above 178 F.

Got a new t-stat and degas bottle cap since that one had buggered threads from some bonehead at the dealer from a previous service I am guessing and got to work installing it all yesterday.

Everything was going swimmingly until I got to the throttle body. I mean...don't get me wrong I know engineers were involved in designing this garbage but seriously...the TB was held in with what looked like self-taps? The polymer intake is polymer...but they couldn't have bothered to install some kind of threaded insert? With a BOOSTED engine?

Second observation - I am not really familiar with this new style OAT coolant but there was absolutely no corrosion on the water neck or the block which I really liked not seeing.

Lastly I did the burp procedure and I have to agree with many others on here....that was not giving me the warm and fuzzies revving the engine that high. I made sure that it was good to go and got it out on a good stretch of secondary road very close to the house with a 55mph speed limit and got it out at 55 and locked into 6th gear for a mile out and a mile back. All the while my app was showing me a solid 195-197 F and the degas bottle was dead on (maybe a hair over) with two gallons total of factory yellow. (lol "YELLOW" coolant that looks og green)

Not too hard though at a few hours total taking my time.

D
Sponsored

 

Frenchy

Well-Known Member
First Name
Chris
Joined
Mar 15, 2020
Threads
169
Messages
7,699
Reaction score
10,978
Location
Elizabeth, Colorado
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier, 1994 F150 XL, 2022 Ford Transit
Occupation
Field Service Technician
For the coolant fill procedure, another acceptable method is to use a vacuum filler. Harbor Freight sells one and it works wonders. Just make sure you have a air compressor at home as it will be needed to operate the tool. As for the coolant, yeah that stuff works well. If it was orange, then you would have other problems.
 

Dereku

Well-Known Member
First Name
Derek
Joined
May 18, 2022
Threads
32
Messages
2,858
Reaction score
7,059
Location
Chicagoland Area
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Seriously, this yellow coolant is green for sure.

I have done 2 drain and fills. Next one is getting a new thermostat. I will agree that the burping procedure is crap. Cant just massage the hose like normal vehicles. Well pre-2005 normal I guess.
 

harringtondav

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dave
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Threads
25
Messages
461
Reaction score
856
Location
East Central Iowa
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
No experience with my 2019. I just turned 40K miles and cooling system is normal.
But I second @Frenchy . I changed the OAT in our two Mopar cars with an inexpensive vacuum filling tool.
It works great. It works on high venturi CFM from an air compressor. Mine runs out of wind and restarts before full vacuum pull down. No biggie, I just close the valve and let the compressor top off and repeat until the system draws down to the max vacuum I can get.
The vacuum guzzles a full dose of coolant leaving an inch in the pressure reservoir for top off.
My bellyache was with our Dart. The radiator drain isn't the lowest point in the system. The bottom hose has a trap bend that holds coolant/flushing solution, and was impossible to remove with the car on jack stands. I had to refill with undiluted concentrate to get the system full with hopefully the correct mix ratio. If I do it again I'll cut the hose and install a in-hose drain. Hopefully my Ranger fully drains.
OAT is superior to the old glycol, but adds a compatibility mystery with all of the colors available. I pay a few extra dollars for OEM brand for the peace of mind.
 
OP
OP

db_tanker

Well-Known Member
First Name
Darrell
Joined
Mar 21, 2020
Threads
34
Messages
449
Reaction score
983
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
. Hopefully my Ranger fully drains.
OAT is superior to the old glycol, but adds a compatibility mystery with all of the colors available. I pay a few extra dollars for OEM brand for the peace of mind.

I pulled the lower rad hose and drained that way. It was awesomely easy. And yep used motorcraft coolant :)

D
 


69/19Ranger

Member
First Name
Scott
Joined
Dec 28, 2020
Threads
3
Messages
23
Reaction score
78
Location
Socal
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 1969 Ranger, 2012 Mustang
Occupation
Automotive technician
The throttle body screws aren't exactly "self tapping" they are specifically for thermoplastic.
With fewer and fewer exceptions pretty much every engine with a plastic intake has the throttle body fastened with this type screw. (Among other components)

As far as burping the cooling system, vacuum filling is way to go if you don't want to deal cavitation problems.
 

TJC

Well-Known Member
First Name
Tony
Joined
Aug 28, 2020
Threads
47
Messages
4,149
Reaction score
10,615
Location
North Carolina
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
I purchased a nice vacuum kit, but have not used it yet. I'm going to change the coolant this year come fall. Guess I'll need to read up on the process. Seems more and more every maintenance procedure that I learned in my life has been obsoleted by these over engineered modern vehicles.
Sponsored

 
 








Top