Owned fo 2 Months, Some Observations

Truck2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
So far I love this truck, It's my first truck although I have driven several in the past. I have the Lariat Chili Pepper Red FX4 with tan leather interior and chrome package. My last vehicle was a compact car so it took a bit of get used to "floating" above the road but I think it's great and have fully adjusted. I love the look both inside and out as well as the feel. I put a bed rug in the back with a swing box, couldn't be happier.

Only mods were switching out the puddle lights and license plate lights for LED's and did the vinyl inlays in the "Ranger" on the grill and the one on the dash.

I do have a couple issues, that I consider minor, but could turn into something more.

Small items:
  • I have door rattle on both driver and passenger side front doors. It occurs more often on the passenger side. It's noticeable at certain bass levels even at low volumes. I plan to have the dealer fix it because I'm leery I'll break some tabs. Then again, I'm hoping the dealer doesn't mess it up or scratch the front face when doing it.
  • I had to remove part of the plastic on the front bumper to adjust the rubber cover behind the front tow hook. There was a gap forming because the rubber piece wasn't pushed up high enough so it wasn't being pinched between the bumper and the plastic fascia. Not a huge deal.
  • I have the chrome side steps and near the back on the drivers side the black plastic portion on top of the chrome wasn't glued properly and it's starting to pull away. This causes water to pool under it and of course doesn't look good. Hopefully the dealer can fix that.
  • I found a small dent right in the middle of the hood near the front. There is no scuff in the paint, and I found it pretty early so it was likely like that before I bought it, but who knows. Went to a repair shop to see how much it would cost to fix and it was $125 due to being aluminum. Ugh. I'm going to see if the dealer will cut me a deal on fixing it. Can't place blame on anyone cause who know, but still bummed.
Possibly bigger issues:
  • I notice almost every time I come to a stop there a small clunk that I can feel in my hands and feet. It usually happens after I stop and then let off the gas to start going again. It's almost like a stutter, but the RPM's don't move. When I googled it, it sounds like what one would get with "floating calipers" but I'm not sure that applies here. I didn't notice it until a couple weeks ago, but it's just enough to be irritating.
  • Engine buzz. I've accepted this is one of those "is what it is" sounds from a turbo charged engine. With the fuel injectors shooting around 1500 psi and with 4 of them going I imagine it would sound like buzzing, just wish it could be dampened somehow.
  • About once a week, I'll start accelerating and I don't get any response. It's like it's bogging out. Then turbo kicks in and I rapidly accelerate. I've recognized this most when heading around a round about. It could just be more noticeable then because it's startling to be in a turn, press the peddle and nothing happens, and then all of a sudden a burst of acceleration.

Any comments, particularly on the "possibly bigger issues" would be much appreciated. So far this has been the best vehicle I have owned and love all the features. If I can solve a few kinks I could see this being a 10+ year keeper for sure.

(I found it's older brother in the wild)

Truck.jpg
Sponsored

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
About once a week, I'll start accelerating and I don't get any response. It's like it's bogging out. Then turbo kicks in and I rapidly accelerate. I've recognized this most when heading around a round about. It could just be more noticeable then because it's startling to be in a turn, press the peddle and nothing happens, and then all of a sudden a burst of acceleration.
Sounds like a common thing i've encountered with several fords that have ecoboost engines. for me it was typically an exact case of Accelerate, brake, accelerate nothing, Surge of power. Noticed this mostly when i'd go to make a left turn, tap the pedal, change my mind and brake, then go for the next gap.

IIRC i've had this with the Flex, Tauris, MKX, MKC, and Edge (Every ford with an ecoboost i've driven for a reasonable amount of time to experience that scenario)

OP
OP

Truck2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Sounds like a common thing i've encountered with several fords that have ecoboost engines. for me it was typically an exact case of Accelerate, brake, accelerate nothing, Surge of power. Noticed this mostly when i'd go to make a left turn, tap the pedal, change my mind and brake, then go for the next gap.

IIRC i've had this with the Flex, Tauris, MKX, MKC, and Edge (Every ford with an ecoboost i've driven for a reasonable amount of time to experience that scenario)
That's probably the exact scenario too, especially heading into and around a round about. Brake, gas, brake gas etc.

Shavlik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Point 3 seems normal, point 2 I have also, that buzz stinks when I want to turn turns off and just ride and relax without anything around I can hear that buzz. Point one, that's not the engine stopping and starting with our auto stop is it?

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired

Sounds like you are exactly describing "Turbo Lag" caused by the diverter valve going full open (as it's designed to do) when you let off the gas/brake and almost immediately get back on the gas. With the valve wide open there is a perceived loss of power and when the valve slams closed the full boost of the turbo kicks in giving that SURGE of power. Perfectly normal and easily fixed by replacing the stock diverter valve with a "progressive" diverter valve. See this GFB DV+ post in the 2.3 L Ecoboost Engine Exhaust, Tuning Bolt-On's forum.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you are exactly describing "Turbo Lag" caused by the diverter valve going full open (as it's designed to do) when you let off the gas/brake and almost immediately get back on the gas. With the valve wide open there is a perceived loss of power and when the valve slams closed the full boost of the turbo kicks in giving that SURGE of power. Perfectly normal and easily fixed by replacing the stock diverter valve with a "progressive" diverter valve. See this GFB DV+ post in the 2.3 L Ecoboost Engine Exhaust, Tuning Bolt-On's forum.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I was never completely clear on what exactly that replacement valve did. Your explanation makes perfect sense.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I have 1200 miles on my Ranger, and so far I have/had only 2 issues.

1. Noticed something hanging below the truck. Drivers side. Crawled under and found some tape was dangling from wire harness. Added some tape. Issue resolved.

2. Passenger side rear seat in Supercab. The flap over the child seat restraint was sticking up. Closer inspection revealed the velco tab sewn to seat fabric is too far back to receive the velco on the flap.
Not worth time...just pushed flap into opening.

Other than that truck has been perfect in every way.

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
thanks for the info! Until now my daily drivers have always had engines without Turbos so i always chalked it up to me driving it "Wrong" I'll have to look into that progressive valve!

Formula Indy

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I have 1200 miles on my Ranger, and so far I have/had only 2 issues.

1. Noticed something hanging below the truck. Drivers side. Crawled under and found some tape was dangling from wire harness. Added some tape. Issue resolved.

2. Passenger side rear seat in Supercab. The flap over the child seat restraint was sticking up. Closer inspection revealed the velco tab sewn to seat fabric is too far back to receive the velco on the flap.
Not worth time...just pushed flap into opening.

Other than that truck has been perfect in every way.
I had that same tape hanging on mine

OP
OP

Truck2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Point 3 seems normal, point 2 I have also, that buzz stinks when I want to turn turns off and just ride and relax without anything around I can hear that buzz. Point one, that's not the engine stopping and starting with our auto stop is it?

It's not the auto start stop, but it almost feels like that. (I always turn it off) Almost like an engine sputter but again there doesn't seem to be any visible change in the RPM's, although it's a digital gauge so it might not be as visible as it would be on a traditional gauge.

I asked a passenger yesterday and they noticed it as soon as I pointed it out. They said "maybe its a truck thing". My guess is it has something to do with either th ebrakes or the drive shaft.

Anyone have any other ideas and/or notice on theirs?

rglasgow48

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Carrera/17 Audi Q5
So far I love this truck, It's my first truck although I have driven several in the past. I have the Lariat Chili Pepper Red FX4 with tan leather interior and chrome package. My last vehicle was a compact car so it took a bit of get used to "floating" above the road but I think it's great and have fully adjusted. I love the look both inside and out as well as the feel. I put a bed rug in the back with a swing box, couldn't be happier.

Only mods were switching out the puddle lights and license plate lights for LED's and did the vinyl inlays in the "Ranger" on the grill and the one on the dash.

I do have a couple issues, that I consider minor, but could turn into something more.

Small items:
  • I have door rattle on both driver and passenger side front doors. It occurs more often on the passenger side. It's noticeable at certain bass levels even at low volumes. I plan to have the dealer fix it because I'm leery I'll break some tabs. Then again, I'm hoping the dealer doesn't mess it up or scratch the front face when doing it.
  • I had to remove part of the plastic on the front bumper to adjust the rubber cover behind the front tow hook. There was a gap forming because the rubber piece wasn't pushed up high enough so it wasn't being pinched between the bumper and the plastic fascia. Not a huge deal.
  • I have the chrome side steps and near the back on the drivers side the black plastic portion on top of the chrome wasn't glued properly and it's starting to pull away. This causes water to pool under it and of course doesn't look good. Hopefully the dealer can fix that.
  • I found a small dent right in the middle of the hood near the front. There is no scuff in the paint, and I found it pretty early so it was likely like that before I bought it, but who knows. Went to a repair shop to see how much it would cost to fix and it was $125 due to being aluminum. Ugh. I'm going to see if the dealer will cut me a deal on fixing it. Can't place blame on anyone cause who know, but still bummed.
Possibly bigger issues:
  • I notice almost every time I come to a stop there a small clunk that I can feel in my hands and feet. It usually happens after I stop and then let off the gas to start going again. It's almost like a stutter, but the RPM's don't move. When I googled it, it sounds like what one would get with "floating calipers" but I'm not sure that applies here. I didn't notice it until a couple weeks ago, but it's just enough to be irritating.
  • Engine buzz. I've accepted this is one of those "is what it is" sounds from a turbo charged engine. With the fuel injectors shooting around 1500 psi and with 4 of them going I imagine it would sound like buzzing, just wish it could be dampened somehow.
  • About once a week, I'll start accelerating and I don't get any response. It's like it's bogging out. Then turbo kicks in and I rapidly accelerate. I've recognized this most when heading around a round about. It could just be more noticeable then because it's startling to be in a turn, press the peddle and nothing happens, and then all of a sudden a burst of acceleration.

Any comments, particularly on the "possibly bigger issues" would be much appreciated. So far this has been the best vehicle I have owned and love all the features. If I can solve a few kinks I could see this being a 10+ year keeper for sure.

(I found it's older brother in the wild)

Truck.jpg
where did you get the vinyl inlays for grill? I have saber color and want saber color inlays!