First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I was driving back to Mexico this morning when all of a sudden the wrench warning appeared on the left dash screen. Then I got a notification from the Ford app about a minute later which is nice to see this works so fast. I was going up a pretty steep hill with the cruise control (first time in 2 years I've used it) set to 70 when it came on and Annie looked it up and it said Powertrain malfunction. Damn you Sid @Msfitoy my heart sunk because the first thing I though of was the transmission. :eek: But then I remembered I still had 63.970 miles left before it exploded so I calmed down a little.:whew:

I was about 20 miles from the border and there was no other warnings (no cel's) and no loss of power so I continued there. After being parked for 90 minutes I started it back up and the wrench was gone and it drove perfect all the way back. I've read where some have had this exact thing happen but they had their check engine light come on which I never had. I've never seen the reason why and most said theirs cleared up like mine did but something must be causing this? It seems like it's connected somehow to the CC because I've never seen it before and it was fine all the way back. I'll bring it by Autozone later this week when I have time to see what codes (if any) were thrown but did anyone get any official word as to what's causing this?

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 12.35.51 PM.jpeg
Sponsored

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
The wrench light on earlier ford pcm strategies was tied to torque management. Specifically the drive by wire throttle control. Not sure if the same applies today as I haven't dabbled in yhe current generation of pcm's. Common checks were the throttle valve sticking due to carbon buildup and also air leaks in the intake system.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The wrench light on earlier ford pcm strategies was tied to torque management. Specifically the drive by wire throttle control. Not sure if the same applies today as I haven't dabbled in yhe current generation of pcm's. Common checks were the throttle valve sticking due to carbon buildup and also air leaks in the intake system.
Thanks Jason! I was trying to search a little on my phone while Annie was seeing the dentist. I did see where some had the throttle valve sticking. Strange it didn't come on at all (180 miles each way) on the way back but I'll have to get the codes. Actually I should just pick up a code reader seeing as these vehicles now have so much tech it'll be good to have one handy. Does anyone has a good link for one?

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired
Thanks Jason! I was trying to search a little on my phone while Annie was seeing the dentist. I did see where some had the throttle valve sticking. Strange it didn't come on at all (180 miles each way) on the way backbit I'll have to get the codes. Actually I should just pick up a code reader seeing as these vehicles now have so much tech it'll be good to have one handy. Does anyone has a good link for one?
I use Forscan with an adaptor to read DTCs.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
To start instead of calling it The Money Pit you should call it the Damper Pit!

Second with the symptoms you described I'm wondering if you actually have a problem with the throttle body acting up? I know EcoBoost engines do have the problem on earlier models. I don't think it's too common but is still possible on the Ranger

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
I was driving back to Mexico this morning when all of a sudden the wrench warning appeared on the left dash screen. Then I got a notification from the Ford app about a minute later which is nice to see this works so fast. I was going up a pretty steep hill with the cruise control (first time in 2 years I've used it) set to 70 when it came on and Annie looked it up and it said Powertrain malfunction. Damn you Sid @Msfitoy my heart sunk because the first thing I though of was the transmission. :eek: But then I remembered I still had 63.970 miles left before it exploded so I calmed down a little.:whew:

I was about 20 miles from the border and there was no other warnings (no cel's) and no loss of power so I continued there. After being parked for 90 minutes I started it back up and the wrench was gone and it drove perfect all the way back. I've read where some have had this exact thing happen but they had their check engine light come on which I never had. I've never seen the reason why and most said theirs cleared up like mine did but something must be causing this? It seems like it's connected somehow to the CC because I've never seen it before and it was fine all the way back. I'll bring it by Autozone later this week when I have time to see what codes (if any) were thrown but did anyone get any official word as to what's causing this?

I think you can pull codes on your My Callibrator.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase

Dave I thought I was headed for limp mode the 1st time it happened 2 yrs ago. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong. Happens once or twice a year for me, it has NOT done it at highway speeds, mine has been at lower speeds right after or shortly after starting. It's done it 11 times so far, have saved the last 10. Asked my dealer to make sure to document it on my profile in case it blows up, first few times it was under the 3 yr warranty, I'm on an extended warranty now. When mine goes off I get both the pre collision and power train faults plus transmission shifting gets sluggish and a bit jumpy. I've found that if I pull over, shut the truck off and open my door and close and lock it, sit for 2-5 minutes and when I start it back up it's back to normal. Just shutting off and sitting won't cure mine, opening the door and closing it shuts the brain off for a restart PC wise. I learned how to do this via the Dodge dealer we got our police interceptors from, it worked on both my Charger and Durango.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think you can pull codes on your My Callibrator.
I read where someone said they cleared their codes with it. Now that I'm home I'll hook it up later and see.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Dave I thought I was headed for limp mode the 1st time it happened 2 yrs ago. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong. Happens once or twice a year for me, it has NOT done it at highway speeds, mine has been at lower speeds right after or shortly after starting. It's done it 11 times so far, have saved the last 10. Asked my dealer to make sure to document it on my profile in case it blows up, first few times it was under the 3 yr warranty, I'm on an extended warranty now. When mine goes off I get both the pre collision and power train faults plus transmission shifting gets sluggish and a bit jumpy. I've found that if I pull over, shut the truck off and open my door and close and lock it, sit for 2-5 minutes and when I start it back up it's back to normal. Just shutting off and sitting won't cure mine, opening the door and closing it shuts the brain off for a restart PC wise. I learned how to do this via the Dodge dealer we got our police interceptors from, it worked on both my Charger and Durango.
11 times? o_O I really wanted to try and see if it came back on with the cruise set but I didn't want to take any chances and get stuck out in the middle of I-8. Hopefully it was a fluke thing and it doesn't happen again. Thanks for the tips Mike!

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I read where someone said they cleared their codes with it. Now that I'm home I'll hook it up later and see.
For what it's worth, the dealer said there wasn't a code the 1st time and they obviously couldn't duplicate the issue, that's when I asked it to be documented and I've just kept every msg I get off the app

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I know I can pull and reset codes with my FPP tuner, I also have the BT dongle and app from Foursrtoke that works well.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
11 times? o_O I really wanted to try and see if it came back on with the cruise set but I didn't want to take any chances and get stuck out in the middle of I-8. Hopefully it was a fluke thing and it doesn't happen again. Thanks for the tips Mike!
You're welcome Dave. It has never happened while on cruise, low speeds like parking lot or slowed to turn and when I accelerated slightly it kicked in. The 1st time it happened I left my hazards on and stayed in the slow lane of the interstate, only a few minutes from home , it was a Sunday so I couldn't go to dealer. After I parked it for an hour it self cleared. After that I remembered the Dodge fix so I've done that since and it fixed it. The 1st time it was a few weeks after I had ford install the Roush tune but we don't believe it's connected and my Roush rep had never heard of the tune doing that and they've not emailed me about any code updates

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I know I can pull and reset codes with my FPP tuner, I also have the BT dongle and app from Foursrtoke that works well.
I just connected it and mine can read the codes. Looks like similar ones a few others were having and then it cleared up. Hopefully it's just the throttle valve sticking but strange that I never lost hp (no limp mode) and it didn't do it on the way back.

IMG_8383.jpg

IMG_8384.jpg
Sponsored