The Dreaded Wrench Light Came On.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I just connected it and mine can read the codes. Looks like similar ones a few others were having and then it cleared up. Hopefully it's just the throttle valve sticking but strange that I never lost hp (no limp mode) and it didn't do it on the way back.

IMG_8383.jpg

IMG_8384.jpg
Body control code could be unrelated as those linger without setting check lights. Check your charge pipe connections and trace all the intake pipes for anything obvious.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I think it has to do with the steep hill and the CC going WOT trying to maintain 70MPH, especially as it didn't do it on the way back. By the way, were you headed down to Los Algodones?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I just connected it and mine can read the codes. Looks like similar ones a few others were having and then it cleared up. Hopefully it's just the throttle valve sticking but strange that I never lost hp (no limp mode) and it didn't do it on the way back.

IMG_8383.jpg

IMG_8384.jpg
The underboost is the only one to worry about. The U0422 is normal after calibrating the tire size.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think it has to do with the steep hill and the CC going WOT trying to maintain 70MPH, especially as it didn't do it on the way back. By the way, were you headed down to Los Algodones?
You're probably right about the steep hill. I was trying to read through some older threads where this happened to others and one (I can't remember who right now) said his went off while the CC was set going up a very steep hill too.

Yes we went to Los Algodones. We've been going there for about 12 years now and I have a really great dentist there. You can't beat the prices (and quality of work) especially when I don't have dental Insurance.

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired

IMG_8383.jpg

IMG_8384.jpg
From the shop manual:
P0299 - Turbocharger/Supercharger A Underboost Condition

Description: This DTC sets when the actual TCBP value is less than the desired TCBP value by 27.6 kPa (4 psi) or more for 5 seconds, indicating an under boost condition.
Possible Causes: Damaged turbocharger wastegate regulating valve solenoid
TC wastegate regulating solenoid valve stuck
Wastegate stuck open
Wastegate control hose open or restricted
Air leak between turbocharger and throttle

Diagnostic Aids: Check tubing for restrictions, cracks and incorrect fitting connections.

Check the turbocharger wastegate regulating valve solenoid for correct operation.
Application Key On Engine Off Key On Engine Running Continuous Memory
All GO to Pinpoint Test HN .

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The underboost is the only one to worry about. The U0422 is normal after calibrating the tire size.
Like Jesse said it could've been trying to maintain WOT going up the steep hill with the CC set. It ran perfect all the way home and even did a very quick "Italian Tune Up" just to make sure. :wink:

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You're probably right about the steep hill. I was trying to read through some older threads where this happened to others and one (I can't remember who right now) said his went off while the CC was set going up a very steep hill too.

Yes we went to Los Algodones. We've been going there for about 12 years now and I have a really great dentist there. You can't beat the prices (and quality of work) especially when I don't have dental Insurance.
You got that right, a great little town, good food and beer, and great medical facilities and pharmaceutics. I go once a year, RV in Winterhaven boondocking.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I just thought about it but I'm also wondering if that recirculation/ blow off valve might be having a problem? To be specific the OEM ones don't necessarily like more than Factory boost.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You got that right, a great little town, good food and beer, and great medical facilities and pharmaceutics. I go once a year, RV in Winterhaven boondocking.
That whole area from Yuma down is the RV capital in the winter. I'm sure you have but have you been to the restaurant (I can't think of the name) that is on the backside of the Purple Pharmacy? The one with the outdoor seating and they always have a band playing there? They have some good food and drink there and then there's the street vendor that has the fish tacos. ?

1679434836126.jpeg

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
From the shop manual:
P0299 - Turbocharger/Supercharger A Underboost Condition

Description: This DTC sets when the actual TCBP value is less than the desired TCBP value by 27.6 kPa (4 psi) or more for 5 seconds, indicating an under boost condition.
Possible Causes: Damaged turbocharger wastegate regulating valve solenoid
TC wastegate regulating solenoid valve stuck
Wastegate stuck open
Wastegate control hose open or restricted
Air leak between turbocharger and throttle

Diagnostic Aids: Check tubing for restrictions, cracks and incorrect fitting connections.

Check the turbocharger wastegate regulating valve solenoid for correct operation.
Application Key On Engine Off Key On Engine Running Continuous Memory
All GO to Pinpoint Test HN .
Thanks Bill!!

Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Raptor week 40, Wildtrak `22 2.0 diesel - sold
Sorry to read not good news. If you have CC on this truck it’s meant to work there.
In general you can drive if the light is yellow. Worked for me first time. Second time was hell… Same messages, totally different reasons.
For me it took battery disconnecting to get notifications to app. Still wasn’t saying much.
After last incident I started to track what my truck is doing time to time. This Ranger really takes care that I learn everything, is it my free will or not ?

6D9C4772-BA1E-4E1E-9993-69C699311562.jpeg

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That whole area from Yuma down is the RV capital in the winter. I'm sure you have but have you been to the restaurant (I can't think of the name) that is on the backside of the Purple Pharmacy? The one with the outdoor seating and they always have a band playing there? They have some good food and drink there and then there's the street vendor that has the fish tacos. ?

1679434836126.jpeg
Yes, I have been there, and the fish taco's are great, I go down for med's and dental work, 1/5th the price and the same level of work. We boondock off of Sidewinder road, some great spots, and the Cheveron at Sidewinder & I8 has water and dump station.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Sorry to read not good news. If you have CC on this truck it’s meant to work there.
In general you can drive if the light is yellow. Worked for me first time. Second time was hell… Same messages, totally different reasons.
For me it took battery disconnecting to get notifications to app. Still wasn’t saying much.
After last incident I started to track what my truck is doing time to time. This Ranger really takes care that I learn everything, is it my free will or not ?

6D9C4772-BA1E-4E1E-9993-69C699311562.jpeg
Thanks Kristina. Boy you've had your share of codes. lol You've had no luck finding out what's causing yours?
Sponsored