Taste of Winter

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Us central/southern California people only have to deal with snow when we go up in the mountains for fun, for those of you who do live in the snow, do you ever bother with chains? I’m used to rally car driving my Fiesta in the snow with chains on which was a blast, driving my super duty in muddy fields (ag industry,) and ripping around in RZRs.. Obviously 4wd provides more traction accelerating but I’ve found chains help out most with braking and turning.. thoughts?
Chain are not used much at all. Maybe see them on the plows at time in Minnesota.
Sponsored

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
I am kinda looking forward for winter. This will be my first ever 4x4 I've ever owned. My past Rangers and Explorer were just the standard 2wd. Last winter was rough for us here, and I did get stuck a couple of times.

Ranger Danger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger FX-4 Off-Road BLK PKG Cactus Gray
Occupation
Stay at home puppy daddy
I am kinda looking forward for winter. This will be my first ever 4x4 I've ever owned. My past Rangers and Explorer were just the standard 2wd. Last winter was rough for us here, and I did get stuck a couple of times.

You just jinxed it, gonna be a light winter now! I said the same thing when I bought my first AWD, a Subaru and wanted it to storm! Maybe two storms that year...few years ago here we had a Blizzard of 78 twice every week, never seen anything like that!

Deleted member 1634

Us central/southern California people only have to deal with snow when we go up in the mountains for fun, for those of you who do live in the snow, do you ever bother with chains? I’m used to rally car driving my Fiesta in the snow with chains on which was a blast, driving my super duty in muddy fields (ag industry,) and ripping around in RZRs.. Obviously 4wd provides more traction accelerating but I’ve found chains help out most with braking and turning.. thoughts?
Really all you need is a good set of snow tires and some common sense, and you'll be fine in the snow with pretty much any vehicle. I lived for many years in the UP of Michigan (where the average is 300+ inches of snow) driving just a front wheel drive Focus, and it did wonderfully with snow tires and someone behind the wheel who knew what they were doing. In my mind chains are really only needed for people who only see snow rarely or people who aren't prepared for it, either with summer/all season tires or who are unaccustomed to driving in it. Or those who need that extra starting torque for heavy loads like plows or tow trucks. We used chains on our plow truck growing up because it had to get going from a stop with the heavy load of pushing all the snow. Once you got going, you didn't really need them.

Deleted member 1634

You just jinxed it, gonna be a light winter now! I said the same thing when I bought my first AWD, a Subaru and wanted it to storm! Maybe two storms that year...few years ago here we had a Blizzard of 78 twice every week, never seen anything like that!
I think all the predictions are that it will be the same or more intense than last winter. And since we're already getting started relatively early again this year, I wouldn't be suprised. I'm thinking we'll have plenty of reason to use the 4WD, don't worry.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Really all you need is a good set of snow tires and some common sense, and you'll be fine in the snow with pretty much any vehicle. I lived for many years in the UP of Michigan (where the average is 300+ inches of snow) driving just a front wheel drive Focus, and it did wonderfully with snow tires and someone behind the wheel who knew what they were doing. In my mind chains are really only needed for people who only see snow rarely or people who aren't prepared for it, either with summer/all season tires or who are unaccustomed to driving in it. Or those who need that extra starting torque for heavy loads like plows or tow trucks. We used chains on our plow truck growing up because it had to get going from a stop with the heavy load of pushing all the snow. Once you got going, you didn't really need them.
Chains in the mountains are totally important for 2WD vehicles (Mostly trucks), and can even help on 4WD vehicles. Generally it's correct that you can get by with zero trouble in just about any vehicle with 4 wheels (not 4WD) and a decent set of snow tires. Even if you just go with All(no) Season tires, you'll do fine in most conditions.

Deleted member 1634

Chains in the mountains are totally important for 2WD vehicles (Mostly trucks), and can even help on 4WD vehicles. Generally it's correct that you can get by with zero trouble in just about any vehicle with 4 wheels (not 4WD) and a decent set of snow tires. Even if you just go with All(no) Season tires, you'll do fine in most conditions.
Agreed. Chains are important in the mountains for trucks or vehicles with heavy loads. The steep grades are a big part of that I'm sure. You'll do okay with all-seasons, but I've never been completely comfortable with them. I like not worrying, so I've always used snow tires (except on this truck which I'm not sure what I'll do yet) just so I can just worry less and have a less stressful drive.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
do they use their 4 way flashers in the rain?
it seems like this is becoming the norm for the drivers who are out of their comfort zone.
i had seen it start with snow storms, and i get it, it may help with visibility when the snow is blowing, but now they have started putting them on during the rain. its stupid and pointless in my opinion
In some places hazards are required when going a certain amount under the speed limit. Other people are paranoid the even going the speed limit they'll be hit by someone speeding. I'd rather have people driving slow than some asshat who's in a hurry, myself.

If they're speeding and using the hazard lights then I have no theory, they're just dumb. :LOL:

Deleted member 1634

do they use their 4 way flashers in the rain?
it seems like this is becoming the norm for the drivers who are out of their comfort zone.
i had seen it start with snow storms, and i get it, it may help with visibility when the snow is blowing, but now they have started putting them on during the rain. its stupid and pointless in my opinion
In some places hazards are required when going a certain amount under the speed limit. Other people are paranoid the even going the speed limit they'll be hit by someone speeding. I'd rather have people driving slow than some asshat who's in a hurry, myself.

If they're speeding and using the hazard lights then I have no theory, they're just dumb. :LOL:
I noticed this whole "hazards on while cruising down the road in bad weather thing" a couple winters ago during a storm. It freaked me out and I didn't know what was going on. Made me think something serious had happened ahead, there was something wrong, or they were pulled off to the side in distress since that's what I associate with hazards on. I almost don't like doing it while moving down the road at all. If you're going slow, then just go slow, it's fine, we'll all adjust accordingly. If someone is speeding up behind you so fast that they can't see you with just your running lights on, then their going way too fast and having hazards on wouldn't help anyways it seems. At least that's what I've experienced.

Deleted member 1634

in canada the RCMP advise against the practice, as hazard lights are for use in emergencies, or disabled vehicles.
their use is restricted if you're using them while moving.
They just encourage using your headlights and taillights as designed...just turn them on.
Yes!! Perfect reasoning and explanation! Having your hazards on already means something, don't start using them for other things, it just makes the road a more confusing place.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Haven't used chains for years with how good the actual Winter Snow tires are now days.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
in canada the RCMP advise against the practice, as hazard lights are for use in emergencies, or disabled vehicles.
their use is restricted if you're using them while moving.
They just encourage using your headlights and taillights as designed...just turn them on.
https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/hazard-light-use/

It varies by province, but about 50% of them require use under various moving conditions. The States are a mixture of permitted, to permitted to indicate the presence of a road hazard (such as slow moving traffic).

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Or in places where they don't use salt on the roads and you need chains/studs for traction in the ice. Or when you drive on unplowed roads. Both of those situations apply to me which is why I have a set of chains in my truck. I used to put them on the front tires for stopping traction - I won't be able to do that on my new Ranger due to the small tolerance between the tire and strut in the front. But they definitely come in handy around here. Mostly for stopping - not getting going.

Chains definitely have their place, but I agree with you - on normal roads, most cars can do pretty well without them assuming a driver who knows how to drive in the snow.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Or in places where they don't use salt on the roads and you need chains/studs for traction in the ice. Or when you drive on unplowed roads. Both of those situations apply to me which is why I have a set of chains in my truck. I used to put them on the front tires for stopping traction - I won't be able to do that on my new Ranger due to the small tolerance between the tire and strut in the front. But they definitely come in handy around here. Mostly for stopping - not getting going.

Chains definitely have their place, but I agree with you - on normal roads, most cars can do pretty well without them assuming a driver who knows how to drive in the snow.
If you're purely in a winter environment then snow tires & studs will work better than chains. If you're a long distance driver then chains are your only options because you'd melt snow tires in the hotter places and the studs would be illegal.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
If you're purely in a winter environment then snow tires & studs will work better than chains. If you're a long distance driver then chains are your only options because you'd melt snow tires in the hotter places and the studs would be illegal.
Absolutely. But around here we don't have snow enough of the time, which is why chains work well. You can put them on when needed and take them off when you don't. Mountain passes are typically the place where they are needed. But interestingly enough, I've never used them in the passes - when I've gone over the roads have always been in good shape and they were not needed. The only place I use them normally is when i'm on unplowed roads or when we get a big dump of snow - they are useful until our limited snowplows can plow the roads.
Sponsored