John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
When I picked up the truck, it was down an 1/8 of a tank. I mentioned it to sales guy and he gave me the choice of waiting for them to run to the gas station or a free ballcap. I'm a sucker for a ballcap. Tonight I went to fill up for the first time and when the pump clicked off, I gave it a few more squeezes. Got in truck and it's showing down an 1/8. Ford Pass matches so I don't think it's the trouble some have reported with that.

The only thing I can think of is that I was at Costco and they have the nozzles with the seal around them and that maybe caused the issue?

Anyone experience something like this? I searched threads and didn't see any posts about it.

EDIT - It was the Costco pump. Stopped at Mobil and it filled up no problem.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
When I picked up the truck, it was down an 1/8 of a tank. I mentioned it to sales guy and he gave me the choice of waiting for them to run to the gas station or a free ballcap. I'm a sucker for a ballcap. Tonight I went to fill up for the first time and when the pump clicked off, I gave it a few more squeezes. Got in truck and it's showing down an 1/8. Ford Pass matches so I don't think it's the trouble some have reported with that.

The only thing I can think of is that I was at Costco and they have the nozzles with the seal around them and that maybe caused the issue?

Anyone experience something like this? I searched threads and didn't see any posts about it.
Iā€™m pretty sure nozzles nationwide have the collar to prevent spills. Itā€™s a Fed requirement I believe. Your gauge may be off, not the actual fill of the tank. My ā€˜20 fills up just fine for whatā€™s itā€™s worth.

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m pretty sure nozzles nationwide have the collar to prevent spills. Itā€™s a Fed requirement I believe. Your gauge may be off, not the actual fill of the tank. My ā€˜20 fills up just fine for whatā€™s itā€™s worth.
Most of the stations in my area don't have them yet, just Costco. I did have issues sometimes with my VW at those pumps if it wasn't sealed exactly right.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi John,

There are some threads in the forums that indicate a vent hose routing/kinking that when fixed remedy the problem. Have the Dealer inspect your fuel tank venting hose and its connections... Mine has been spot on from the get go as others have indicated....get it checked out!

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
first try a different station.

only threads i recall were the vapor recovery pumps giving guys issues.

I've never had an issue with mine.

but you might want to keep a jerry can with you, drive it till it says zero (if you get that far) and fill it to capacity at a different station, and see how many gallons you put back in.
that will let you know if its a quantity indication issue, or a pumping issue.
I'm thinking it's the pump nozzle too. I'll try the Mobil near me since they have old style pumps and see what I get.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I handed a guy $10K in cash for a nice used BMW, and stopped on the way home to fill the tank. My heart sank when I couldnā€™t get any gas into it. Imagining absurd repair bills, I drove home cursing myself for the oversight. You can imagine my relief when I discovered that there was nothing wrong with the car. It was the pump that caused the problem, and I never encountered it again in 25,000 miles of driving.

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Hi John,

There are some threads in the forums that indicate a vent hose routing/kinking that when fixed remedy the problem. Have the Dealer inspect your fuel tank venting hose and its connections... Mine has been spot on from the get go as others have indicated....get it checked out!

Best,
Phil
Thanks Phil. I saw those posts but it I thought they were having the opposite issue - overfilling. I'll try another pump and if I get the same result, back she goes.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape

Mine pops off at Costco all the time. Have to hold it

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Mine pops off at Costco all the time. Have to hold it
I have it a bunch of extra squeezes but I'm thinking it's those nozzles. I'll hit a Mobil and see what I get.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee