First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Certified Hacker. Retired Veteran
I was filling up gas and I noticed when I have the hose in the tank, the capless piece looks like it has a hole on the top edge seal. But after I took the hose out, it gets covered back up. I'm just wondering if that's supposed to do that maybe to vent or do I need to get it looked at? Anyone noticed this?
Sponsored

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
It's magics.

CJBax

First Name
Cruiser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Development
I've been wondering, since anyone can just open the gas fill area, can someone siphon out my gas while I'm hiking a trail or out paddle boarding? I just assumed that's what tank cap locks or in-vehicle fill door releases were preventing, someone stealing your gas...

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I've been wondering, since anyone can just open the gas fill area, can someone siphon out my gas while I'm hiking a trail or out paddle boarding? I just assumed that's what tank cap locks or in-vehicle fill door releases were preventing, someone stealing your gas...
Short answer no they can not be siphoned.

Long answer:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/ford-easy-fuel-prevents-gas-theft-36806.html

Ford’s capless full filler deters gas theft two different ways. With Easy Fuel, a spring-loaded flapper door is held closed by latches that can only be released by a standard-size fuel nozzle. This eliminates the need for a fuel tank screw cap. When the proper nozzle is inserted into the filler neck of the system, the latches release, and the nozzle pushes the spring-loaded flapper door to the open position. When the nozzle is removed, the flapper door automatically is forced closed by the spring.

Easy Fuel has a unique mis-fueling inhibitor to reduce improper refueling and siphoning. The inhibitor consists of a fuel nozzle detector that guides the nozzle to the opening. If a nozzle or foreign tube of a different size – a diesel nozzle or plastic hose, for example – is placed in the filler neck of a gasoline-powered vehicle, the latches will not release.

“Unless they understand how the mis-fueling inhibitor works and come prepared, many would-be fuel thieves are unsuccessful in siphoning fuel from Ford vehicles,” said Aitken.

Another deterrent in Ford vehicles is associated with the on-board refueling vapor recovery (ORVR) system. The main purpose of the system is to prevent vapors from escaping during the fueling process. Another deterrent in Ford vehicles is an inlet check valve that is part of the on-board refueling vapor recovery system.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
The "Ford Easy Fuel cap-less fuel system" (and you thought it was just a fill area) has a check valve in the fill neck before the tank and a valve that's part of the vapor recovery system. Together they block siphons from reaching the tank.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
From the article: "A steel drill bit and a steel tank, if you were to throw a spark I doubt it would ignite anything, but I wouldn't want to test that theory," ???
I feel that way about putting an electric fuel pump IN THE TANK anytime I replace the pump.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Would a 2 dollar adapter funnel make it easier to steal gas?
I didn’t work very hard at it, but I would say that the funnel only helps with adding fuel. I would be interested to see the hose that would reliably snake down into the fuel.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
How does fuel get in then?
I don't know if this is the exact design Ford uses, but conceptually it's like this. In this example there's a ball that floats and lets gas into the tank, but gets pushed against a collar if a siphon tube is inserted.

1627410951140.png

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know if this is the exact design Ford uses, but conceptually it's like this. In this example there's a ball that floats and lets gas into the tank, but gets pushed against a collar if a siphon tube is inserted.

1627410951140.png
That'll make drilling the bottom of the fuel tank much more attractive ?
Sponsored