TONTO

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Vehicle Showcase
This is my first post after picking up my 2020 Ranger XLT yesterday! :handsinair: Such a great truck that has so many things on it that I wanted and some that I didn't even think about when buying one. It has the spray in bed liner but for some reason they didn't spray the inside of the tailgate. I'm not sure if it would have anything to do with the RetraxOne tonneau cover, but I don't think so. Anyway, I was wonder if there are any tailgate protectors that might work as opposed to getting it sprayed as I have no idea what type of spray in liner that it is? I know Dee Zee makes one but I was wondering if there were any more that you might know about. Thanks.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Could you send a picture of where on the tailgate it wasn't covered? I am aware that ford and other manufacturers have only put it on a certain are which is silly to me. Just want to clarify

OP
OP
TONTO

TONTO

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. I'm not sure why the dealership, which is in another city, did this either and I'll have to see if I can get in touch with the original salesman of this vehicle who had it put in.

Stephen

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Logistics
Check out the bolt in from Mountain Hatch. It is an FDA approved surface that is 100% flat, with a couple of cupholder indents. I plan to use it for a toddler changing table on family outings next summer ?.

I bought it on Black Friday but haven't installed it yet.

OP
OP
TONTO

TONTO

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If it ends up you need one, the OEM bolt on cover is great. Cup holders are an added bonus. :blush:

20200902_0097.jpg
That may be just what I need. Not the exact same color as the bed liner which is greyish but it should do the job and would be no different color wise as what I have now as I have a black tailgate.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I have the plastic drop in liner. It was installed by the dealership before I bought the truck. If I decide to replace it with a spray in I'll probably just keep the plastic panel on the tailgate. Easier to slid stuff on.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
i personally would go down the avenue of speaking to the dealer first and telling them the job wasnt completed.

maybe the liner place that did the work made a simple mistake.
Totally agree with this. My dealer spray in liner included the tailgate. Have not seen one yet that did not. Then if you wish spend the money on the plastic cover.

OP
OP
TONTO

TONTO

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
IMG_2773[1].JPG

So here is a pic of what I'm talking about. I talked to someone at the dealership who sold this to the original owner. Here's what he told me he thought had happened. They contracted with a local Rhino liner company to do their spray bed liners. He states that on 3 or more occasions the spray got inside of the tailgate operating mechanism causing what he said was a very expensive repair that the liner company had to pay for, so he thinks that they no longer will spray the tailgate. I'm not sure how that would occur and I've not heard of this being a problem for other truck owners that I know. So at this point the choice looks like to get just the tailgate sprayed or get something like the OEM tailgate protector which is the direction I'm leaning. Does the OEM protector cover the top of the tailgate as well?

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Another back story....Spray in bedliner... We at Ford Truck were approached to do spray in bed liners. The company that proposed this was eager to sell this to Ford Truck and make $$$. So we decided to take some prototypes and have them sprayed with this "stuff".... We would go through our normal testing in winter and then heading to our Arizona Proving Grounds in about Mid July for engine calibration testing, including octane determination. From Yucca Flats AZ, we would head to Needles California which is one of the hottest, dry climates in the USA. We are fully instrumented and much of the recording equipment etc is in the pick up box. Running a base line fuel called Indoline, we stopped at Irene's for lunch....a walk up burger place with hand wrtten posters of her born again Chirstian beliefs. It was tradition to stop at Irene's. Ambient temp were over 110°. After lunch we needed to tweek some engine components and went to grab our tools. The were embeded in the spay in bedline. What a mess. Black gooey mess. Finished up testing, scrapped our now tarred tool bags etc. Sent the spray in bedliner folks a not so warm AMF!

The modern sprayin liners are so, so much better!

I was so against them based on the above experience but my 2019 Ranger is spray in still have my replacement tool bag today...I really loved the original as it had a fold over top with a clip that the current one does not have....Sigh...

toolbag.jpg

Not seen is the center section what held metric and standard sockets and ratchets in ÂĽ and 3/8 up to 25mm and 1 inch standard...
Sponsored