Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Oh so they weren't threaded holes for bolts, just actual holes?

The way people phrase it sounds like the places are just filling threaded holes full of the liner without covering them up.
That’s exactly what they’re doing and your original comment is bang-on. They should be plugging all the extra threaded holes in the bed before spraying. There are threaded holes for extra tie-downs, swing boxes, bed extenders, etc. To me, it’s no different than overspray on your window or bed rails.

If it was my company, I would do it and brag about the value added step. It can’t be much more than $1 in plastic plugs and five minutes work. Seems like a cheap way to bolster your reputation and set yourself apart from your competitors.
Sponsored

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Many people want the unused holes to be covered over with liner material. Rather than risk having the wrong size or thread pitch bolts inserted by the liner installer, you can make a $10 trip to the hardware store and fill the holes yourself. I don't understand why so many people end up buying and using taps to clean out the threads. It's far easier to thread a bolt in before spraying.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Pretty happy with mine. Make sure any other bed accessories don't interfere and you'll be good.
This! I really wanted to get at least one for some extra storage but my bed extender would be in the way. That's more of a necessity for me right now as I use it everyday for work carrying a 6' ladder.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
This! I really wanted to get at least one for some extra storage but my bed extender would be in the way. That's more of a necessity for me right now as I use it everyday for work carrying a 6' ladder.
In the same boat. Topper part of my Fas-Top looks like it'll be in the way when stowed. May be putting my boxes up for sale or just running them with the topper up. Haven't decided yet.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Many people want the unused holes to be covered over with liner material. Rather than risk having the wrong size or thread pitch bolts inserted by the liner installer, you can make a $10 trip to the hardware store and fill the holes yourself. I don't understand why so many people end up buying and using taps to clean out the threads. It's far easier to thread a bolt in before spraying.
I have the factory Ford spray in liner. All the empty threaded holes for whatever were filled with liner material. All others, like myself, who had to 'tap' out holes seem to have the factory liner also. Since it is sprayed before delivery, we have no option to fill those holes with dummy bolts or plugs, hence the need for a tap. It is easy and only took me a minute each to clean them out.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
To offer a minority opinion here, I’m not overly fond of mine. And perhaps that's because of the use case I had in mind. I was hoping to use it to keep loose camping supplies in place and organized. Except you cant open the lid with it in the stored position, and you basically have to have an empty bed to swing it open. Combined, it means that its not easily accessible.

In order to get any use at all of out it, I have now converted it to emergency supplies. So I have my jumper cables, straps, bungees, extended medical kit, spare wiper fluid, and extra sunblock/bug spray there. It works well in that capacity, as I no longer have to go looking for any of that stuff, but I don't actively need any of it either, it’s just not what I envisioned. I am getting a bit more use out of it now by installing quick fist clamps to it to hold the hatchet, flashlight and mallet, a few of the tools I wanted to store in it to start with.

Last edited:

Ericrcif

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariant FX4
Occupation
Retired
Have one on the driver's side and would get one for the other side but I have a Builtright panel there. I like it.

Rangerguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCrew
To offer a minority opinion here, I’m not overly fond of mine. And perhaps that's because of the use case I had in mind. I was hoping to use it to keep loose camping supplies in place and organized. Except you cant open the lid with it in the stored position, and you basically have to have an empty bed to swing it open. Combined, it means that its not easily accessible.

In order to get any use at all of out it, I have now converted it to emergency supplies. So I have my jumper cables, straps, bungees, extended medical kit, spare wiper fluid, and extra sunblock/bug spray there. It works well in that capacity, as I no longer have to go looking for any of that stuff, but I don't actively need any of it either, it’s just not what I envisioned. I am getting a bit more use out of it now by installing quick fist clamps to it to hold the hatchet, flashlight and mallet, a few of the tools I wanted to store in it to start with.
This is the problem I find. Too bad the top doesn’t open when the case is in the stored position.

ryday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
They're super handy for essential carry items.. I've got a roadside emergency kit, jumper cables, trailer hitch, nicer lug wrench, snake light, ponchos, bug spray, sun screen in one. The other has tow straps, bungies, rope, capless tank fuel funnel, a couple extra kn95 masks, and I put together an all purpose tool set in one of the soft tool bags from harbor freight.

ranger-rick-roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
If you have the sprayed in liner, you will need both a 6mm x 1.00 and 8mm x 1.25 tap to clean out the bolt holes. Easy though.
I need to do this. Having no experience with tapping bolt holes. Do I tap straight through the bedliner and then continue on through the existing thread? Or do I just need to get through the bedliner?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I need to do this. Having no experience with tapping bolt holes. Do I tap straight through the bedliner and then continue on through the existing thread? Or do I just need to get through the bedliner?
Run it all the way down.

The metal tap matches the threads cut into the metal bed. They will match up and clean all bed liner material out.

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
Do these companies really not put a plug in the holes before spraying the liners in? It costs $550 in Canada for them to do the job. Is it too much to expect them to cover things?
Yes, it is, apparently, to much to ask!! They filled mine as well.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I just ran a tap in the holes and installed my box on the passenger side. I put all my tire change tools and extra tie straps inside it.