Supercab Rear Seat Headrest

JDPerry3000

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ingot Silver Ranger XL
You have a 2019? 2020 doesn't have the button. Ford deleted that feature for 2020 and I suspect Ford is using what's left of 2019 parts so the only things missing are the hole in the cover and the button.
Ok. Didn't realize they changed the design. It made it so much easier to remove.
Sponsored

TampaMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SuperCab XLT FX4
thanks....just went to Lowes for a 1/2 inch wooden dowl. Will put furniture pad on the end of the dowl as a little protection so it won't rub through the seat fabric. Saw the bolt on the seatback and will remove this. What a pain in the a.... Why didn't Ford just keep the damn button on the 2020????

TampaMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SuperCab XLT FX4
thanks....just went to Lowes for a 1/2 inch wooden dowl. Will put furniture pad on the end of the dowl as a little protection so it won't rub through the seat fabric. Saw the bolt on the seatback and will remove this. What a pain in the a.... Why didn't Ford just keep the damn button on the 2020????
Update: You only need to loosen the bolts on the rear seatback about halfway...then you can remove the headrest. Then tighten them back down. Do the modification mentioned in the earlier post. You can then tilt the headrest, re-insert them...good to go!!

allcos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Scab 4X4 XLT
Occupation
Retired
Thank you guys. $1.78 at Lowes for 1/2" Dia X 36" poplar dowel cut to (2) 1 7/8" long. ~20 min for install. Have a cap on the truck with limited rear view area. Will take any additional open area in my mirror

TampaMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SuperCab XLT FX4
Did mine yesterday. :thumbsup:
20200912_102254.jpg
Yep...much better visibility. I considered taking them out all together but then thought if, by chance, someone wants to squeeze in those seats for a short ride I better have the headrest.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I removed mine as it's unlikely anyone will sit back there. My '88 Ranger regular cab long bed had bucket seats and I could lean my head back and rest it on the rear window. During a long drive, when I was feeling sleepy, I'd do that for just a bit and the road vibration would knock me awake like a slap in the face. lol Never actually fell asleep to see if it would work as a sleep sensor.

Reactions: Doc

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
Yep...much better visibility. I considered taking them out all together but then thought if, by chance, someone wants to squeeze in those seats for a short ride I better have the headrest.
This was my thought process as well. Back seats is going to be mostly for storage, but I wanted to leave at least one seat intact for the off chance I needed to stuff somebody back there.

Reactions: Doc

Tank20xl

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL Supercab
Just competed this and now have the hidden button folding rear headrests in my 2020 xl supercab. Thanks for all the info and pics

Taz

First Name
Moya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT, Super cab
Occupation
Retired
That was the best tip for correcting the headrest problem. I used the dowel and placed a felt pad on the end, so it wouldn’t wear the fabric.

PowerTools

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger SuperCab, 2003 SportTrac
Occupation
yes
Hah! My 2020 super cab now has folding headrests! Also makes removal much easier as well!

Everything is there except the button and the trimmed hole in the headrest cover. I removed the headrests, removed the cover, cut a piece of 1/2" wooden dowel rod 1-3/4" long and slid them into their respective holes, reinstalled the cover, reinstalled the headrest into the seat, good to go!

What gets me is that the foam is even cut for the button. I would have paid for the hole and button and not blinked. I just don't get it.

Oh, and the folded headrest's highest part is about even with my tailgate in my rear view mirror.

So, now I have folding headrests with hidden buttons.

Almost forgot, thanks for the pics. Once I saw the springs in the pic, I couldn't stand it and went out and took everything apart.
Thank you! This is why I have no posts of my own. You guys answer all my questions already. Found a dowel in the garage, cut to length and good to go. Hardest part was figuring out how to remove the cover from the headrest. I rolled the bottom of the back and it came right out of the channels on the 3 bottom flaps, which are visible in your later photos. We should all log an entry somewhere if we ever actually flip these back up.

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
Thank you! This is why I have no posts of my own. You guys answer all my questions already. Found a dowel in the garage, cut to length and good to go. Hardest part was figuring out how to remove the cover from the headrest. I rolled the bottom of the back and it came right out of the channels on the 3 bottom flaps, which are visible in your later photos. We should all log an entry somewhere if we ever actually flip these back up.
Glad it worked for you.

I flipped one back in September. I went with 2 friends (they are brothers and tall) to get a steak. I let one drive and I sat in the back. Not terrible but not good either.

Oh, and both drove the truck, and both liked it.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I pulled mine straight up and out. You just need to press the buttons.
Sponsored