James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
If only we could figure a way to fold the middle head restraint...??‍♂
Unfortunately, you're on your own on that one. I have a super cab, not super crew. My truck only has the side bucket seats (well, not sure what to call them, really). I don't have anything to take apart!

Wonder if you could adapt one of the side headrest restraints?
Sponsored

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
Unfortunately, you're on your own on that one. I have a super cab, not super crew. My truck only has the side bucket seats (well, not sure what to call them, really). I don't have anything to take apart!

I’m leaving it under my rear seat storage. Problem solved!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi James,

Back in 1974 when we lunched the supercab for the first time after Dodge lanuched the Club Cab, we called them "flip seats". This is when I found out that I do not do well traveling sideways...not a pretty picture...Hork! Affirmed on the Corporate Jet with sideways plush seats at the front of the airplane...Hork!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
Hi James,

Back in 1974 when we lunched the supercab for the first time after Dodge lanuched the Club Cab, we called them "flip seats". This is when I found out that I do not do well traveling sideways...not a pretty picture...Hork! Affirmed on the Corporate Jet with sideways plush seats at the front of the airplane...Hork!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
My grandfather had the sideways jump seats in one of his fords when I was a kid. Super fun when you're young. I couldn't imagine it as an adult.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
REALTOR

I opened it & see it’s only foam & the 2 chrome bars. No hinges or springs like the outboard restraints. When installed it’s the same height as the other ones folded. Side view & rear view. Thanks again!

78F4741A-E1FA-4E95-A129-B4F679CB2713.jpeg

A8DE0B63-E770-49C5-A177-5947431D0A16.jpeg

Last edited:

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi James,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil,

I can't express how much I enjoy your back stories and experiences, although maybe a little too much detail with this one!

Both my old 2000 Ranger Super Cab and my 2011 Ranger Super Cab had flip seats. I really liked those because they didn't take up a lot of room, but were there if you needed to transport an extra person or 2.

A long time ago, my Dad was to take my uncle to Duke hospital in NC from Virginia. It snowed over night and Dad asked if I would take him since my tires were better. Dad went along and rode in the jump seats. After the trip, he commented that the seats weren't too bad. Not sure I would agree.

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I opened it & see it’s only foam & the 2 chrome bars. No hinges or springs like the outboard restraints. When installed it’s the same height as the other ones folded. Thanks again!

78F4741A-E1FA-4E95-A129-B4F679CB2713.jpeg
Wow! It doesn't get any better than this!

I think you're done. Looks good!

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
Retired
Hah! My 2020 super cab now has folding headrests! Also makes removal much easier as well!

Everything is there except the button and the trimmed hole in the headrest cover. I removed the headrests, removed the cover, cut a piece of 1/2" wooden dowel rod 1-3/4" long and slid them into their respective holes, reinstalled the cover, reinstalled the headrest into the seat, good to go!
Thanks for the tip. Added the dowels to mine yesterday. :)

Larry

TampaMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SuperCab XLT FX4
Okay...I want to make that mod but can't figure out how to remove the rear headrest. It butts up to the cab ceiling and can't be removed. Do I need to take the rear seat back off (or loosen it) to remove the rear headrest? If so, how? The rear headrest annoys the crap out of me as it interferes with visibility!

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
REALTOR
Okay...I want to make that mod but can't figure out how to remove the rear headrest. It butts up to the cab ceiling and can't be removed. Do I need to take the rear seat back off (or loosen it) to remove the rear headrest? If so, how? The rear headrest annoys the crap out of me as it interferes with visibility!
From a earlier post: “The seat backs have a bolt securing them that has to be removed so it can be tilted to remove the headrest.”

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
I too felt like you did. Here’s what I did. Put headrest to headliner. Then grab metal rods of headrest and pull towards from of truck while also pulling upwards. The rear seat back cushion will flex enough forward to let it pull out. The fabric of headliner and headrest will be making contact, but fear not as there were no abrasion wear marks as a result of doing this.

JDPerry3000

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ingot Silver Ranger XL
On the supercab head rest there is a button on the side that allows it to fold forward. After that I had enough room to pull the headrest all the way out.

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
On the supercab head rest there is a button on the side that allows it to fold forward. After that I had enough room to pull the headrest all the way out.
You have a 2019? 2020 doesn't have the button. Ford deleted that feature for 2020 and I suspect Ford is using what's left of 2019 parts so the only things missing are the hole in the cover and the button.

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
To access the bolt holding the seat, open the car seat anchor flap between the headrest posts at the top of the seat back. Reach in and move the nylon web out of the way and you can see the bolt.
Sponsored