Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
as a former nissan driver.... it wasn't the tires
It was my 4th nissan and I can tell you that the tires make a difference for the conditions. A ture winter tire will make the world of difference in winter conditions. Now if you go offroad the General Grabbers do alright. On slick icy and snowy roads they are not good what so ever.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Igor

Igor

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2020 XLT 4x4 Sport
For winter conditions on the road those would be a terrible choice. These pictures are from my 1992 Pathfinder with General Grabbers and rhe winter performance sucked.

IMG_20191031_124229.jpg

IMG_20191031_124224.jpg
Wow. It was ugly. Glad you are OK. But people in this thread have different opinion about General Grabber tires.

SPEEDBUILT

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Strength Coach
Wow. It was ugly. Glad you are OK. But people in this thread have different opinion about General Grabber tires.
If you want objective ratings, go to tire rack and see what they rate them at. Hint: it’s not even close between true winter tires and all-seasons. Winter tires rate between 9-10 on snow and ice, all-seasons would be lucky to rate above a 7, most good ones are at a 6.5. You have four points of contact on the ground-don’t skimp on tires. Besides, if it saves one fender bender they pay for themselves(similar cost as most deductibles).

OP
OP
Igor

Igor

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2020 XLT 4x4 Sport
If you want objective ratings, go to tire rack and see what they rate them at. Hint: it’s not even close between true winter tires and all-seasons. Winter tires rate between 9-10 on snow and ice, all-seasons would be lucky to rate above a 7, most good ones are at a 6.5. You have four points of contact on the ground-don’t skimp on tires. Besides, if it saves one fender bender they pay for themselves(similar cost as most deductibles).
Nothing against your experience, but here is rating from tire rack.
Winter/Snow Performance
8.9 - Excellent
  • 9.3 Light Snow Traction
  • 9.1 Deep Snow Traction
  • 8.2 Ice Traction

SPEEDBUILT

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Strength Coach
Nothing against your experience, but here is rating from tire rack.
Winter/Snow Performance
8.9 - Excellent
  • 9.3 Light Snow Traction
  • 9.1 Deep Snow Traction
  • 8.2 Ice Traction
It says 6 on the link you provided. You are looking at consumer ratings. I don’t trust those. They are also only comparing to other all-seasons. Again, it’s not even close when it comes to winter driving.

Last edited:

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
It was my 4th nissan and I can tell you that the tires make a difference for the conditions. A ture winter tire will make the world of difference in winter conditions. Now if you go offroad the General Grabbers do alright. On slick icy and snowy roads they are not good what so ever.
never buying or renting a nissan ever again. never. don't care what tires they won't stop the constant seal leaks, sticking shifter, piss poor gas mileage, bed falling off, check engine light never went off, replaced gas tank, fuel sender 3x, every EVAP valve/solenoid/sensor, knock sensor, timing belt, replaced transistor for heater fan 2x, bed fell off, never got over 15MPG- the hearse gets 14 in the winter- cruise control was a pain to set and then it never kept speed, my foot got stuck under the brake pedal many times... that caused a couple situations, bed fell off, spare tire rotted through the rim, i know I'm missing something, check out www.nissan.com . the truck was retired at 105,000 miles They are junk

#nissanhatred

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
never buying or renting a nissan ever again. never. don't care what tires they won't stop the constant seal leaks, sticking shifter, piss poor gas mileage, bed falling off, check engine light never went off, replaced gas tank, fuel sender 3x, every EVAP valve/solenoid/sensor, knock sensor, timing belt, replaced transistor for heater fan 2x, bed fell off, never got over 15MPG- the hearse gets 14 in the winter- cruise control was a pain to set and then it never kept speed, my foot got stuck under the brake pedal many times... that caused a couple situations, bed fell off, spare tire rotted through the rim, i know I'm missing something, check out www.nissan.com . the truck was retired at 105,000 miles They are junk

#nissanhatred
Being in Ohio and the fact that you're talking about the bed coming off tells me you never took care of your vehicles by washing them off from the salt on the roads. That is a entirely different subject that does not belong on this thread.

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
Was always doubtful when friends bragged about pure winter tires. Finally succumbed and installed a set of Michelin Ice-X winter tires on my wife's Escape. WOW! Next best thing to chains. Really. (BTW, as I write this there is 18" of snow out my front door and more on the way).

Suspect most all pure winter tires are close with only slight differences among them, but all are light years ahead of standard mud and snow tires.

Keep in mind they wear quickly so are best only used during the winter, exchanging with your OEM or "year round" tires normally on your vehicle.

Shadowdraxx

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Bum
They are possibly the worst OEM tires I’ve ever had. Not very confidence inspiring in the wet and ice is something you will want to avoid. Not sure on others but they seem to be wearing pretty fast too

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Finally succumbed and installed a set of Michelin Ice-X winter tires on my wife's Escape. WOW! Next best thing to chains.
Agreed. I have the Michelin Ice-X on our Subaru Outback. The only bad thing I can say about these tires is that they breed overconfidence on snow and ice because they are so amazingly effective. Over the years I have had only a few instances where they car got anything close to squirrelly, and that was on pure sheet ice that is only encountered very rarely.

My 2019 Lariat came with the Hankook Dynapro tires, and at first I agonized over swapping them out for the winter. (Really wasn't looking forward to finding and buying yet another set of wheels & tires and then having to store them off-season) I stuck with the Hankooks and after around 3,000 miles of winter driving they were okay. In the winter, my Ranger is mostly used for highway travel for skiing, and have had only a couple of instances where I had wished I had something better.

PierreD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
AV Tech
Got my winter tires. The Bridgestone are not good for winter.
AT tires are not best in winter (specially on ice) as they have too hard a compound in the cold...
If you want a very good performing winter tire at a reasonable price, you can't go wrong with these:
https://www.quattrotires.com/tires/WS71
They are also very smooth/quiet for a winter tire.......
Sponsored