Stock Bridgestone DUELER 255/65R17 for winter

Igor

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2020 XLT 4x4 Sport
Will it be useful in winter? At least for first season.
Or I need something better?
Sponsored

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
hope so... my plan was to use them. I believe they are rated for snow

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
how many miles are on them? I've got 17K miles on mine and they are kind of sketchy when it rains now; taking off from a start or going around corners. i don't think they would do well in snow with some miles on them.

Reactions: EJH
OP
OP
Igor

Igor

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
how many miles are on them? I've got 17K miles on mine and they are kind of sketchy when it rains now; taking off from a start or going around corners. i don't think they would do well in snow with some miles on them.
About 4K KM = ~2.5K Miles

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
If you drive very conservatively, and can choose not to drive when conditions are very bad, you might be satisfied with the Duelers. If you simply must drive, without regard for weather and road conditions, my personal choice would be to get a set of tires that will perform better in demanding winter conditions.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
My 2016 Subaru Forester came stock with Bridgestone DUELERs (not sure if they were the exact same variety on the Rangers?). Those tires were terrible in rain, and dangerous in snow. I always use winter/snow tires in the winter, but still ditched the Duelers after 15k or so miles because they sucked so much.

Peter949

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
My Lariat comes with Duelers and in water it's sketchy. As you can see I'm not the only one with real world experience. Your safety is worth the price of replacement. I live in the west where it doesn't rain much so I'm going to use them until time to change.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
In all honesty the factory bridgestone's are terrible for winter. How do I know? Well I had them on my truck for about a month until I put actual snow tires on my truck. That was last year and I can tell you right now that they are absolute garbage. I don't know how bad the snow guess where you are compared to Colorado but I had trouble out here in Colorado. As much as I hate to say it and you are best off getting proper snow tires for your truck.

bloosh

First Name
Braelin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I just did a 14 hour drive yesterday and hit a storm with these tires. With 23k miles they are definitely not working as well as last year. Especially if they are new I think they are adequate if you're willing to take it slow when needed.

I'd like to get some snow tires though. Anyone have any recommendations for keeping the same wheels? My regular driving range is anywhere from central Nevada - Salt Lake City - Butte Montana - NE Washington so versatility is helpful.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just did a 14 hour drive yesterday and hit a storm with these tires. With 23k miles they are definitely not working as well as last year. Especially if they are new I think they are adequate if you're willing to take it slow when needed.

I'd like to get some snow tires though. Anyone have any recommendations for keeping the same wheels? My regular driving range is anywhere from central Nevada - Salt Lake City - Butte Montana - NE Washington so versatility is helpful.
I don't know what you have to deal with for weather conditions normally in the winter out there and Utah but here in Colorado I ran the Cooper M&S Tire. I ended up studying them due to an accident I had beforehand and for the most part they did pretty well over the winter. There is still sometimes I slipped and slighted but not as bad if I didn't have snow tires.

SPEEDBUILT

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Strength Coach

Bridgestone Blizzak, or Nokian Hakkapalita have superior rubber compounds for winter driving.

OP
OP
Igor

Igor

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thinking of ging with Genera Grabber ATX 265/70R17 non LT as all around tire.

SPEEDBUILT

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Strength Coach
I would go with the Falken at3w if you are expecting it to handle snow and ice.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For winter conditions on the road those would be a terrible choice. These pictures are from my 1992 Pathfinder with General Grabbers and rhe winter performance sucked.

IMG_20191031_124229.jpg

IMG_20191031_124224.jpg

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
For winter conditions on the road those would be a terrible choice. These pictures are from my 1992 Pathfinder with General Grabbers and rhe winter performance sucked.

as a former nissan driver.... it wasn't the tires
Sponsored