Starting Ranger with FordPass in cold weather

canigetadollar?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Fun Haver
No issues with cold weather here. However I have discovered my rear defrost and seat heaters are enabled once the temperature passes a certain threshold.
Sponsored

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I make an "attempt" to remotely start the vehicle every morning before i leave for work. I would say 1-2 days a week it fails and will not start.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
The truck uses an AT&T cellular connection to the FordPass app so if AT&T reception is spotty in an area, FordPass will also be spotty.

If I park my truck in a certain part of my driveway the FordPass app won't work.
Exactly. Unlike the key fob remote start which needs to be in close proximity to the truck, the Ford Pass start will work wherever you and the truck has AT&T signal.
I wonder what they use in Canada? Hopefully not some crappy provider.
Red Green Telephone Ltd, Possum Lodge, Nunavut, CA
devil grin.jpeg

OP
OP
Igor

Igor

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2020 XLT 4x4 Sport
Today started no problem even under snow. So looks like it s server/communication issue.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I have troubles all the time. Part of the time my truck does not even show up in the APP.
Sometimes it fails to start. I even had it say failed to start but it started. Fords App is garbage.
Our Tucson never a issue and our Colorado never a issue. The Ranger more than half the time has issues. Ford needs to get this right no excuses now a days.

PierreD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
AV Tech
The most likely issue for not starting remotely is if your battery's charge level goes down to "save mode".
But the app does send a message that it is doing this. If you didn't get the message, a server error is probably the cause.
I started mine 2 days ago in -15......

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger , 2019 Ford Escape
Does anyone else have issues starting Ranger remotely with FordPass in cold weather?
Ford Pass had some issues a couple days ago on remote starting. They said the were working Diligently to get it resolved. Mine worked fine the next morning when i tried it.
Ford Pass has a history with failing in the past year that i have used it.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
I have troubles all the time. Part of the time my truck does not even show up in the APP.
Sometimes it fails to start. I even had it say failed to start but it started. Fords App is garbage.
Our Tucson never a issue and our Colorado never a issue. The Ranger more than half the time has issues. Ford needs to get this right no excuses now a days.
Haven't had trouble myself. Might be a Covid thing: maybe a shortage FordPass IT/admins availble.? Try:
  • Deleting the app and re-install it, then re-boot your phone
  • Delete all vehicles on the app and re-enter them.
  • On iPhone, go to: Settings> Cellular Data>ON scroll to FordPass turn it ON. If you are out of range of wifi, c-d will still communicate, but s-l-o-w-e-r, If you are in an area where coverage is marginal and/or no LTE, 4G or 5G. Might be slightly different on Android, but you want Cellular Data on and FordPass allowed to use it.
  • FordPass works on AT&T whether or not that is your personal cellular service, so even if you have 2 or more bars on your phone, the AT&T may be weaker or vice-versa.

Basically I think the way it works is, you send a start request to Ford via the app on whatever service you have, then Ford sends a command via AT&T to your vehicle. Your vehicle sends a confirmed or failed message through the same pathway back to your app.

ThtDrnGuy

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Real Estate Photographer
I had this issue this morning but said oh well. Went out and the truck was unlocked. Locked and tried again and it started right up. So maybe you forgot to lock the doors the night before. The app will not tell you if the truck is locked or not.

OP
OP
Igor

Igor

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2020 XLT 4x4 Sport
I had this issue this morning but said oh well. Went out and the truck was unlocked. Locked and tried again and it started right up. So maybe you forgot to lock the doors the night before. The app will not tell you if the truck is locked or not.
maybe

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger , 2019 Ford Escape
I make an "attempt" to remotely start the vehicle every morning before i leave for work. I would say 1-2 days a week it fails and will not start.
I find that if you "Refresh" the app after you open it and then push the Start command it will usually work. Sometimes the App says that vehicle information was last updated 8 hours or whatever hours ago.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I don't know, I never lock my truck in the garage. Used Ford Pass to start it this morning. Worked fine even locked the truck for me.

You think Ford pass has issues, check out the Mazda app. Now there is a piece of junk. Takes for ever to start the car, I'm talking minutes. That's when it works. The app doesn't show you if it worked or not, it sends a notification to your phone. Nothing like getting a notification that it failed several minutes later with it telling you there was a system failure and to try again later. Talk about useless.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Ex Ford employee here. FordPass communication has nothing to do with proximity of the vehicle to your phone. Basically you are communicating with their servers in Dearborn/Allen Park, Michigan and sending an encrypted request. That request is then unencrypted, processed into a response, re-encrypted and sent to your vehicle. Failures can be anywhere in that path. I'm waiting for the day that they try and monetize it.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Only issue I've had is the app not recognizing my "push and hold."

I've just got to figure out the proper technique apparently.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
Ex Ford employee here. FordPass communication has nothing to do with proximity of the vehicle to your phone. Basically you are communicating with their servers in Dearborn/Allen Park, Michigan and sending an encrypted request. That request is then unencrypted, processed into a response, re-encrypted and sent to your vehicle. Failures can be anywhere in that path. I'm waiting for the day that they try and monetize it.
I think FordPass Connect is now lifetime free. They bake the service cost in as part of the other telemetry you do have access to: miles to empty oil life, etc, and don't have easy access to: how often windows are operated, heated seats are on, ASS is used, etc.
I have Dronemobile app start on my 2009 Mariner and the basic service is $122.09/ 36mo. They hit me up now and then to go premium and get a bunch of stuff I already have free on other apps-where is the car parked, where is food/gas service/etc. I think OnStar is free now, too, at least for basic service.
Sponsored