Trouble With Dealer and FordPass Points

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
So I got my 42,000 points and I activated my modem and all was good I figured I'd use them towards some accessories next time I went to the dealer. Recently I got a call from service dept at the dealer saying I have a complimentary oil change. I told the lady thanks but I do my own maintenance, she was nice and fine with that and said it's there if I ever want it. The very next day all my points are taken and it said redeem for PMP. I talked with them today and the service guy kept trying to come up with excuses. First it was Oh, you needed to activate your modem within 6 months to which I replied that I activated it right away. The second call was some other excuse I think that they were used for a maintenance visit to which I replied that I have never been in for one. His third call he informed me that when the truck was bought a paper was signed that agreed to put the points into a service plan. Now, when I got the truck I told the salesman I planned on doing my own maintenance but that I was excited to get fender flares and would have them put them on and I would use my points towards them. He said that was fine. He never told me about a paper that I signed putting them into a service plan and I really think I'd remember signing that.
Anyway, I'm curious if anyone else has had issues like this with their points. I gave the dealer the benefit of the doubt but the points being erased in the time-frame that I talked to that woman can't be a coincidence. I would guess the dealer can submit the points and get money for the "service" performed. The only service I got is the one up my backside. I swear no matter how vigilant you are they manage to get you somehow on something.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So I got my 42,000 points and I activated my modem and all was good I figured I'd use them towards some accessories next time I went to the dealer. Recently I got a call from service dept at the dealer saying I have a complimentary oil change. I told the lady thanks but I do my own maintenance, she was nice and fine with that and said it's there if I ever want it. The very next day all my points are taken and it said redeem for PMP. I talked with them today and the service guy kept trying to come up with excuses. First it was Oh, you needed to activate your modem within 6 months to which I replied that I activated it right away. The second call was some other excuse I think that they were used for a maintenance visit to which I replied that I have never been in for one. His third call he informed me that when the truck was bought a paper was signed that agreed to put the points into a service plan. Now, when I got the truck I told the salesman I planned on doing my own maintenance but that I was excited to get fender flares and would have them put them on and I would use my points towards them. He said that was fine. He never told me about a paper that I signed putting them into a service plan and I really think I'd remember signing that.
Anyway, I'm curious if anyone else has had issues like this with their points. I gave the dealer the benefit of the doubt but the points being erased in the time-frame that I talked to that woman can't be a coincidence. I would guess the dealer can submit the points and get money for the "service" performed. The only service I got is the one up my backside. I swear no matter how vigilant you are they manage to get you somehow on something.
Hi John,

Something here is way wrong. My guess is that you signed the fine print that the dealer used against you. My wife is a Legal Assistant (above a paralegal in training and experience) and when we bought our Lincoln, she read the fine print, much to the dismay of the "closer" at the dealer, Jim Click Ford/Holmes Tuttle Lincoln. I did not sign much of the crap they tried to upsell.

I think you may have been screwed and likely only a lawyer could straighten this out, and likely cost you more than the points are worth. I would clearly avoid any future dealing with this dealer. I would also recommend filing a complaint against the dealer with Ford Customer Service. Won't get you your points back maybe but at lease give the Dealer a black eye, hopefully. Just remember that Dealers are independent business and that Ford Motor Co. has minimal control over them, but if problems become systemic, the dealer can loose its franchise.

Sad...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Indy650

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Thanks for the reply Phil! I agree I'm not gonna deal with them anymore. I bought a 02 F250 years ago and it went great but I guess places change and it depends on the salesman. Another issue I had is the truck was part of that loaner program or whatever it's called so it had 2000 miles when I got it. I asked if they could change the oil just because I like to change oil early in a new engine( I know there are mixed thoughts on this) The salesman told me they "always" change the oil when the vehicles come out of the loaner program and that it was changed. Turns out there is no service history on the truck except what I've entered. I changed it at 6500 so it's not the end of the world but still it really bothers me.

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like there is a mix up at the dealership service dept. when you buy a vehicle anything you sign you get a copy of to keep in your valuable papers so you should have a copy of said document so just go through your documents.
A complementary service is something they provide at no cost to you and losing your rewards points given to you by Ford is coming out of your rewards points hence your pocket.

orangegrower

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Aston Martin Vantage - 2019 Shelby GT350 - 2019 Ranger Lariat
Somehow I got screwed out of my points when I bought my GT350. I have not followed up on it as it will Just piss me off even more.

OP
OP
Indy650

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
They said there is a paper I signed that put my points towards a premium maintenance plan and they were supposed to email a copy to me but they didn't of course and I just looked through all my papers from the dealership and the only relevant paper I found is a premium maintenance plan that I paid 350 bucks for. It says nothing about FordPass points. I am so f*cking pissed off about this it's not even about the 200 and whatever dollars it's the principle of the matter and that they took them the day after I told them I do my own maintenance like they thought I wouldn't find out.

Does anyone know if the dealer gets that money somehow? Like if my points go towards maintenance does Ford then repay the dealer for those points? Imagine the money they must make on that if that's the case because I bet they do this to every customer and only a select few notice or bother to look into it.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
They said there is a paper I signed that put my points towards a premium maintenance plan and they were supposed to email a copy to me but they didn't of course and I just looked through all my papers from the dealership and the only relevant paper I found is a premium maintenance plan that I paid 350 bucks for. It says nothing about FordPass points. I am so f*cking pissed off about this it's not even about the 200 and whatever dollars it's the principle of the matter and that they took them the day after I told them I do my own maintenance like they thought I wouldn't find out.

Does anyone know if the dealer gets that money somehow? Like if my points go towards maintenance does Ford then repay the dealer for those points? Imagine the money they must make on that if that's the case because I bet they do this to every customer and only a select few notice or bother to look into it.
Hi John,

You are asking good questions. Maybe the Dealer shows the purchase line item of $350, and how they were paid. Was it part of the sale price? Should be listed. Do not know if you financed or paid cash and do not need to know but there is a bill of sale...so if the bill of sale shows you paid $350...Why would they take your Ford Points?

Hope you can pin the dealer down on this...is the dealer close so you can visit or is it not worth it to pursue?

I never got Ford Points for my purchase and did not even know I was supposed to so I had my wife look at our paperwork...no signed document turning over the points to them, so will be talking to my salesman about this....It is almost a year now since I purchased my Ranger. Thanks for jogging me to look into this...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
I never got Ford Points for my purchase and did not even know I was supposed to so I had my wife look at our paperwork...no signed document turning over the points to them, so will be talking to my salesman about this....It is almost a year now since I purchased my Ranger. Thanks for jogging me to look into this...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil,

The 42,000 award rolled out in early April 2019 and was retroactive to purchases starting on April 2, 2019. The only notice I was given was verbally by the salesman, no mention of it in my paperwork.

JM

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Your dealer gives new meaning to the word "shyster", plain an simple.

What in the world does having to activate your modem have to do with acquiring your Ford Pass Rewards points? I created a Ford Pass account months before I took delivery of my 2020 and the 42K rewards were posted to that account approximately 12 days after I took delivery. When I met with the finance manager there was no such requirement to "put the points into a service plan" , if he had the audacity to pull this on me I would have told him what to do with the paper this requirement was printed on. As a matter of fact the subject never came up during this meeting at all.

I did activate and accept ATT's terms with regards to wireless service but I've yet to even use 1 bit of the service. When I activated my modem about 1 1/2 months after taking delivery. When the plan expires I have absolutely no intentions of extending it, ATT's service coverage here on Oahu is terrible.

Members should be advised that should you use your points for accessories that you will be charged full list price for the item any and all discounts you may have enjoyed in the past will not apply. I did use my rewards to purchase a tailgate dampener exactly a month ago, my rewards balance reflected this purchase immediately after, and remains the same to this day.

Sad to say bud, your dealer appears to have pulled a fast one on you, there is no way this has happened, nor will it happen to me.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil,

The 42,000 award rolled out in early April 2019 and was retroactive to purchases starting on April 2, 2019. The only notice I was given was verbally by the salesman, no mention of it in my paperwork.

JM
HI JM,

That explains it...purchased in late March.... Oh Well... Thanks!!!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
I have not had problems with my Ford Points. I recently used the first of them for my trucks first oil change. I asked them if I could upgrade the oil to a synthetic. They were happy to so so and as expected, charged me a few extra points for the cost difference.

I will be getting 2 oils changes with some points left over instead of the 3 oil changes with standard 5w-30, or whatever the recommended oil is.

I'm for sure happy with the FordPass and the point system ford is using. I even received an extra $1,000 off my truck just for using the Ford Pass App for my other Fords in the garage.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Make them SHOW you the Document they claimed you signed!

Rene Michaels

First Name
René
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 5' Box Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
With respect to auto salespeople out there, most can't cut it long-term and don't remain at a dealership very long. Over the years I have found few salespeople really know the product they are selling very well, let alone the fine print of warranties or contracts the finance manager in the back has customers sign.

I've sat in cubicles while purchasing vehicles and overheard conversations from other nearby cubicles, and you'd be surprised the crap you hear!

TRUST BUT VERIFY EVERYTHING!

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
With respect to auto salespeople out there, most can't cut it long-term and don't remain at a dealership very long. Over the years I have found few salespeople really know the product they are selling very well, let alone the fine print of warranties or contracts the finance manager in the back has customers sign.

I've sat in cubicles while purchasing vehicles and overheard conversations from other nearby cubicles, and you'd be surprised the crap you hear!

TRUST BUT VERIFY EVERYTHING!
Same here, in the almost 14 years I worked at a dealership I've heard all the stories salespeople tell potential customers.
Bottom line: if they could sell left hand thread light bulbs, they most certainly would!

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
I feel lucky that I've used my points at 2 different dealerships with no issues. i'm basically using my free oil changes to shop different service departments to find which one i like the best. I have 5 dealers within a 15 mile radius
Sponsored