First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
Just rotated tires. Looked at rotors and pads again. All looks good, but brakes squeal annoyingly and have for the past 3000 miles. Ideas?
Sponsored

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
There could be several reasons your brakes are squealing, the cheapest 1st step for me after I determined the pads and rotor are good would be to use a brake squeal product. ( google brake squeal spray or grease). Don't know your comfort level with auto maintenance but I'll add, I would also get brake cleaner for the rotors and pads, wear clean gloves and don't get any of the brake seal product on the rotor or pad surfaces, oil on your braking surfaces are bad for braking. (even oils from your skin in my opinion).

I also found a YouTube video that may help, but I only recommend doing this work if you're confident with a wrench. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/live/rIoTp1AvtLs?feature=share

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
If thickness of pad physically looks good, might be wear squealer bent out towards rotor, now I have not had mine apart yet, but some posters report factory pads did not come with the wear squeal tabs.
or
the anti-rattle clips rubbing on the rotor as it spins, but this noise is more noticeable with just driving without hitting brakes.
1684453693912.png

OP
OP

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
audio / semi retired
Never heard of brake squeal products. I’ll google it. I do almost all of me vehicles’ maintenance and repairs.

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
Never heard of brake squeal products. I’ll google it. I do almost all of me vehicles’ maintenance and repairs.
It just reduces squealing in certain situations. OP see if you can find shims that go onto the pads the interface with the piston. Might help dampen things. Also could have deposits on the rotor face causing drag and thus squeal. Could try and get rotors turned if there still enough material.

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
There could be several reasons your brakes are squealing, the cheapest 1st step for me after I determined the pads and rotor are good would be to use a brake squeal product. ( google brake squeal spray or grease). Don't know your comfort level with auto maintenance but I'll add, I would also get brake cleaner for the rotors and pads, wear clean gloves and don't get any of the brake seal product on the rotor or pad surfaces, oil on your braking surfaces are bad for braking. (even oils from your skin in my opinion).

I also found a YouTube video that may help, but I only recommend doing this work if you're confident with a wrench. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/live/rIoTp1AvtLs?feature=share
I don't know who taught this guy to service brakes, but I'm glad I'm not paying him to do mine.

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired
Just rotated tires. Looked at rotors and pads again. All looks good, but brakes squeal annoyingly and have for the past 3000 miles. Ideas?
If the squealing started after rotating the tires, perhaps you bent a brake backing plate so that it is rubbing against a rotor.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
my brakes feel like warped rotors after they are warm and ive drive for a bit. slowing down from highway speed actually shakes the truck with a frequency in keeping with the speed of the truck. dealer "checked" and said pads etc. look good and said they were in the green. im certain that is total bs and they never looked. im going to do it myself this weekend.

OP
OP

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
audio / semi retired
If the squealing started after rotating the tires, perhaps you bent a brake backing plate so that it is rubbing against a rotor.
Nope. Been squealing for awhile. Seems it would be pretty hard to bend a backing plate just removing and installing wheels.

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
You have pad material on the rotor face then. Try some hard stops back to back to back and see if you can get some serious heat in them. Then drive around for 10-15 mins and try not to stop or use the brakes at all. This is called bedding in procedure. Guys who use tracks pads on the street need to do this as street driving wears out the transfer material
Sponsored