First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
COTA/L
My truck has the 18" wheels with 260/65R18's which are 30.5" tall. Im planning on getting a full set of winter tires but was hoping to drop down to 17" rims as I have found several really good deals from private sellers. Much cheaper than buying 18's. But then I remembered the spare and thought what happens if I get a flat in the winter and have to use the spare. So I did a tire comparison with a 265/65R17 and they are almost identical in height( 30.6 vs 30.5), diameter ( 95.8 vs 96) and the width is exactly the same. Even the revolutions per mile are almost exact ( 661 vs 660). My question is would this be a problem were I to need to use the spare in winter time? Would that minuscule amount of difference cause any problems while I drove it to get the other one fixed? I cant imagine having to drive more than and hour or so at most. Wasnt sure about driving with 3 tires on 17" rims and 1 tire on an 18 " rim even though the tire itself is almost identical. Thanks all.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
With the tires being that close you should be fine. If it were a much bigger difference then you would want to change the spare.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
With the tires being that close you should be fine. If it were a much bigger difference then you would want to change the spare.
I would check the spare size. There have been post where the spare is not an exact match for what's on the truck. But, yes what you are talking about should not cause issues.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
I would check the spare size. There have been post where the spare is not an exact match for what's on the truck. But, yes what you are talking about should not cause issues.
The spare tires seem to be a pretty mixed bag on the Ranger. Everyone seems to have something different. My XLT with the optional 18" wheels and Dyanpro AT-M tires has a steel 17" wheel wrapped with a Dynapro HT tire.

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
it is not an issue for those vehicles that come with "donut" spares, other than the distance/speed limit. It would be a bigger issue if the Ranger was All-Wheel-Drive as opposed to selectable Four-Wheel-Drive

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Mine came with 18" Lariat wheels but the spare is a 17" steelie and Hankook tire. I plan to sell the tire only (spare) when I buy new tires and keep.the steelie since my new wheels are 17" , I will just buy 5 tires and an extra tpms. Anyone have any idea what is the max tire size that will store under the truck in the oem location? I've searched and used every wording parameter I could think of on here and didn't see a max. I plan to buy a 285 70r 17 tire.

Dunneldeen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
Mine came with 18" Lariat wheels but the spare is a 17" steelie and Hankook tire. I plan to sell the tire only (spare) when I buy new tires and keep.the steelie since my new wheels are 17" , I will just buy 5 tires and an extra tpms. Anyone have any idea what is the max tire size that will store under the truck in the oem location? I've searched and used every wording parameter I could think of on here and didn't see a max. I plan to buy a 285 70r 17 tire.
Kind of resurrecting this thread as I was wondering the same thing. What size of spare can you fit under the vehicle. By size, I'm thinking height more then width. Would it fit something like a 265/65R18 (31.5") tire?

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Kind of resurrecting this thread as I was wondering the same thing. What size of spare can you fit under the vehicle. By size, I'm thinking height more then width. Would it fit something like a 265/65R18 (31.5") tire?
I was able to put the same 285 70 17 on the steel spare rim. Opted out of a tpms on it.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
it is not an issue for those vehicles that come with "donut" spares, other than the distance/speed limit. It would be a bigger issue if the Ranger was All-Wheel-Drive as opposed to selectable Four-Wheel-Drive
Modern 4x4 with all the other systems at the wheel, tires have to be close or you could have problem. My 2010 F150 went into full warning mode with three 235/65-17 and a single 235/60-17 on the right rear.

Less than 3/4 inch diameter disparity.

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Yes. That is roughly the same size as the Tremor comes with.