SiriusXM anyone else tired of their non-stop spam

gov cheese

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt super cab
Never used SiriusXM as source for the radio. They are now blasting non-stop spam to signup for more of their crap service. (snail mail and calls from three different numbers). Should have ask if i could opt out of sirius like i did ford pass. Have already ask them to take my number off the call list. seems to have had little affect.

Every once in awhile sync3 switch to Sirius on startup. 90% listen to thumb-drive MP3s.
Anyway to disable/remove Sirius as a source in sync 3.
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Never used SiriusXM as source for the radio. They are now blasting non-stop spam to signup for more of their crap service. (snail mail and calls from three different numbers). Should have ask if i could opt out of sirius like i did ford pass. Have already ask them to take my number off the call list. seems to have had little affect.

Every once in awhile sync3 switch to Sirius on startup. 90% listen to thumb-drive MP3s.
Check out the Forscan WIKI at the top of this forum. Haven't done mine yet but I believe it is an easy disable selection in the APIM using Forscan.

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Yeppers tired. Even if you sign up with them it won't stop. But with everything else going on, I can ignore the junk mail for a while.

CMJT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2017 Subaru Outback
It took me over an hour to cancel my subscription the last time I had it. Unbelievable the bs you have to put up with to try and cancel.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yeppers tired. Even if you sign up with them it won't stop. But with everything else going on, I can ignore the junk mail for a while.
Hi Aero,

I tore up the mailer but left my address intact, and loaded the shredded parts into the mailer and sent it back to them. I did this several times and they got the message. Being retired, I had fun with hounding them. I also sent them selected other junk mail but with my address removed...Credit card applicatons etc.

I have three radios on Sirius, here at the house, the RV and the Nautilus, with the 6 months free then transitioning to what the MKX was. Wife loves Sirius. Here at the house we run music all day....Sirius fits the bill as we do not have good radio reception except for Mexico Oompha Music.

So for us, Sirius works for us. Since Sirius/XM is associated with Ford, file a complaint with Ford Customer Service that Sirius is not honoring your request to be deleted.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

I get at least one every week to 10 days in the mail. Even when you call them and tell them to STOP sending them they still do. When I had my F 150 they did the same thing and I couldn't get them to stop then either. The only way I got them to stop is when I moved out here to AZ and I never had any mail forwarded and they didn't have my address. I guess the only way to get them to stop now is I'll have to move again. lol

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
I get at least one every week to 10 days in the mail. Even when you call them and tell them to STOP sending them they still do. When I had my F 150 they did the same thing and I couldn't get them to stop then either. The only way I got them to stop is when I moved out here to AZ and I never had any mail forwarded and they didn't have my address. I guess the only way to get them to stop now is I'll have to move again. lol
You can’t be Sirius? Lol!

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Sirius a few years ago settled a class action lawsuit with a settlement of $35 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius_Satellite_Radio#Class_action_lawsuits

Hooker Vs Sirius XM radio was settled with a settlement pool of $35 million in response to claims that SiriusXM denies that the company used robocalling techniques targeting non-subscribers that had received calls from SiriusXM after leasing or buying a car.
Of course that was related to robocalling. But maybe if they still refuse to remove you from their mailing list and phone list, gently remind them of it. You probably won't get far with first level customer support. Those employees just go off a check list of what they can and can't do. So perhaps asking to speak to someone higher up would help.

I just got a snail mail from them after buying my Ranger. As I have no interest in their product, when I have time I'm going to request I be removed from their mailing list, email list and phone list. I'll report back to let you know how it goes.

It might be a bit of a hassle because from their own privacy policy:

https://www.siriusxm.com/phx/privacy-policy

For our own marketing purposes – to offer extensions of service, new products or services; to send information on special deals, promotions, or information which we think may interest you; to perform market research
DO WE SHARE? Yes. CAN YOU REQUEST THAT WE STOP SHARING? No, you cannot stop this sharing, but you can tell us your preferred contact preferences.
So when I contact them my "preferred contact preferences" will be none. I didn't personally sign up for their service. My dealer apparently did when I bought my truck as part of the free trial. I don't feel a 3rd party should be able to grant permission for me to agree to the Sirius privacy policy. I've looked through all my paperwork I signed and received upon purchase and do not see anywhere where I agreed to the Sirius privacy policy. If they give me a hard time I will politely ask them to provide proof that I personally agreed to their privacy policy.

Also for people in California you now have the right to request they not sell your information. That law went into effect this year:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Consumer_Privacy_Act

For Sirius this is the link to do so:

https://www.siriusxm.com/ccparequest_DoNotSellMyInfo?intcmp=GN_FOOTER_NEW_DoNotSellMyInfo

I'm a big advocate against personal data selling without expressly given consent. It has gotten out of control over the years. That's one reason, among many others, I don't use social media after all the privacy breeches from places like FaceBook. I hope soon other states adopt the same types of laws.

Also note according to the Sirius privacy policy they can share your information with 3rd parties for "joint marketing with select content providers, retail outlets, or for third party offers."
Here is the link again:

https://www.siriusxm.com/phx/privacy-policy

For joint marketing with select content providers, retail outlets, or for third party offers – to offer opportunities or information; send information on products, services, or opportunities from our agents, such as automakers or retailers of satellite radios, or for other vehicle services DO WE SHARE? Yes, we may share. CAN YOU REQUEST THAT WE STOP SHARING? Yes, you can stop this sharing.
That language as far as I understand it means they can share/sell it to pretty much anyone. It seems to me "select content providers, retail outlets and third party offers" covers just about any business they want to "select" and share/sell it to. The "such as" as I read it means, as an example (they are synonymous), and doesn't expressly exclude businesses not related to automakers, satellite radios, or vehicle services . A good example of tricky privacy policy language in my opinion.

However, according to their privacy policy linked above, you can opt out from that. The method to do so is listed in the same link. I'll be doing that as well when I contact them.

Anyway, this was kind of a long rant. In summary I feel that people should have the right to not have their personal information (name, address, phone number, date of birth etc.) sold or traded to 3rd parties without expressly given consent. As well, we should have the right to request removal from marketing mailings, phone calls, and emails from companies that have our information via a simple "no longer contact" request without having to jump through hoops.

Don't even get me started on those damn junk mail plastic bag wrapped ad "newspapers" that get tossed in my driveway every Sunday, littering my property, that I have still had no luck putting an end to. :mad:

Last edited:

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I had XM before the merger with Sirius. Kept for a little while after the merger, but their libraries are pitifully small per channel. It gets too damn repetitive.

For local driving, I primarily listen to one local FM station with the most diverse music library I've encountered. I love that station.

For long road trips, I switch over to my mp3 library so I don't have to switch stations.

I'm tempted to activate the cellular modem in the Ranger so I can use streaming services for local drives when I want something specific, and for the unlimited data for long road trips so passengers have access without eating their data allowances. Not doing enough driving with covid to warrant that, though. I still have a pile of rollover data from Verizon this spring when they gave subscribers a bunch of extra data for free.

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
No one uses their phone to stream music?

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I'm tempted to activate the cellular modem in the Ranger so I can use streaming services for local drives when I want something specific, and for the unlimited data for long road trips so passengers have access without eating their data allowances. Not doing enough driving with covid to warrant that, though. I still have a pile of rollover data from Verizon this spring when they gave subscribers a bunch of extra data for free.
From what I looked up the Ford wifi with AT&T costs $20 per vehicle. You might be able to upgrade to an unlimited data plan for your phone for less. Of course that would not cover your passengers, but if you had an unlimited data plan you could always set up a personal hotspot on your phone for them to connect to when on the road.

I just looked up Verizon and the starting unlimited plan is $35 a month for one line:

https://www.verizon.com/plans/unlimited/

Of course that might be an intro offer. I don't use Verizon so I don't know.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
From what I looked up the Ford wifi with AT&T costs $20 per vehicle. You might be able to upgrade to an unlimited data plan for your phone for less. Of course that would not cover your passengers, but if you had an unlimited data plan you could always set up a personal hotspot on your phone for them to connect to when on the road.

I just looked up Verizon and the starting unlimited plan is $35 a month for one line:

https://www.verizon.com/plans/unlimited/

Of course that might be an intro offer. I don't use Verizon so I don't know.
I'm on Verizon. On that page, note that said price is if you're using it on 4 different lines. It goes up substantially if you reduce it. 2 phones on my plan, and it jumps up to $60/mo. That cheapest rate doesn't say anything about mobile hotspot data, either (the other plans mention what they cover). My current plan allows me to use mobile hotspot, but IIRC, it pulls from my regular data pool. I only use it on a pretty limited basis to buy new books on my e-reader when I'm not on another wifi network.

The current data allowance we pay for is substantially less expensive (old plan). And considering I almost never go over on regular use, my data allowance only becomes an issue when traveling.

If you pay for the ford pass thing on one of the 1 or 2 yr plans, the monthly cost goes down a lot. If doing that, the cost would be less, in fact, than it would cost to upgrade my current Verizon plan to unlimited data. And since the bulk of my data use occurs during road trips, paying for unlimited data on the truck modem makes more sense for me.

Adding the ability to stream gives me more music options.

Only drawback to relying more on mobile data is that I often drive into the mtns where mobile data service is more off than on, and AT&T's coverage tends to be poorer than Verizon's.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I'm on Verizon. On that page, note that said price is if you're using it on 4 different lines. It goes up substantially if you reduce it. 2 phones on my plan, and it jumps up to $60/mo. That cheapest rate doesn't say anything about mobile hotspot data, either (the other plans mention what they cover). My current plan allows me to use mobile hotspot, but IIRC, it pulls from my regular data pool. I only use it on a pretty limited basis to buy new books on my e-reader when I'm not on another wifi network.

The current data allowance we pay for is substantially less expensive (old plan). And considering I almost never go over on regular use, my data allowance only becomes an issue when traveling.

If you pay for the ford pass thing on one of the 1 or 2 yr plans, the monthly cost goes down a lot. If doing that, the cost would be less, in fact, than it would cost to upgrade my current Verizon plan to unlimited data. And since the bulk of my data use occurs during road trips, paying for unlimited data on the truck modem makes more sense for me.

Adding the ability to stream gives me more music options.

Only drawback to relying more on mobile data is that I often drive into the mtns where mobile data service is more off than on, and AT&T's coverage tends to be poorer than Verizon's.

Okay that makes sense as you know more about Verizon than me. I was just trying to offer looking into options that might help. But yes, using a personal hotspot on your phone will use your data. It is basically a "public" wifi stetup of sorts that uses your phone's data and allows others you give permission to connect and use the same connection.

As for AT&T I can say the coverage is poor at times in my area. That is who I use for my phone. I live just 15 miles from a major city and only get 2 bars at home. When I took my road trip a bit ago I lost service completely just about 40 miles out of the metro area until I got closer to the next town. The coverage in my area certainly is not the best. But I have been with them for a long time and have a good deal on my unlimited data plan. Since I don't travel in more rural areas often I can live with it.
Sponsored