Side Steps - Yay or Nay?

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I think I have narrowed down my search on the Ranger I would like but the only option I am torn on are sidesteps. I "think" ;) I like the look of them on the Ranger but do they get in the way? I already know I do not need them at my height but in my current Tacoma, I do not have side steps, purposely. When I tried some models with the side steps, they actually got in the way and made it awkward to get in.

So Is it an option worthy of it's cost for looks and function or just looks?
Sponsored

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I think I have narrowed down my search on the Ranger I would like but the only option I am torn on are sidesteps. I "think" ;) I like the look of them on the Ranger but do they get in the way? I already know I do not need them at my height but in my current Tacoma, I do not have side steps, purposely. When I tried some models with the side steps, they actually got in the way and made it awkward to get in.

Rock sliders instead ?

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
It is not a decision for an individual. This option is picked by the fan that will be passengers.

Reactions: EJH

OP
OP
troutspinner

troutspinner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
It is not a decision for an individual. This option is picked by the fan that will be passengers.
Family is fine without on my current truck. I am more wanting them for looks but if they are an impediment not using them, I’ll skip them.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I like them, came with the truck. I would rather have rock sliders.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
If you like them then I say yes. They are a necessity on mine because of my vertically challenged wife. They aren't in the way, and help also on the off chance some butthead slings their door open.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase

I am six-foot three inches and do not need the steps, but my wife is just south of five feet tall. She needs them, and they come in pairs, so I got the black OEM that comes with the Black Appearance Package. If it weren't for the wife needing them, I would not have put them on in the first place, but now that we have them, I kind of like them, not so much for looks, but because I can stand on them and look around over truck before getting in, which I like to do after a hike or similar outing, like taking a last look before going back.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Yay from me.

I’m 6’ tall and find then helpful for a number of reasons:
  • 2-1/2” lift and 32” tires - easier in and out for me
  • easier in and out for my passenger
  • use them when I clean the windshield
  • it’s easier to wash and dry the roof
  • they complete the look I was going for
  • most importantly, they hide that nasty pinch weld

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Yay for looks - although I do not like the look of all
Yay for protecting truck from rocks, because I have 1.5" spacers (sounds like dinner bell ringing when driving over dirt/gravel roads)
Yay for my shorter wife, and 90 yo Pop

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
As others have said, it depends on the individual and his/her passengers.

If one is in good health and at least 5'10" then side steps most likely will not be needed with a Ranger at stock height.

For myself and my wife, side steps are a must have item. I am 5'10" but have arthritis and fibromyalgia, the wife is 5'2" and has MS.

And as others have also mentioned, side steps do look good, are useful for entering/exiting the truck and offer some protection from rocks.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Nay! I have them ONLY because they came with the truck. I don't use them to get out of the truck and they're constantly hitting the back of my legs. I would prefer sliders which I will be getting on my Bronco. Some give you just enough to step on but offer better protection when off road.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
NAY for me. They're almost "in the way". I can get in the truck line without them. I'm 5 foot 10.
I drove a ranger WITH the side steps and for me to step up on them to get in was awkward, as my head was above the top of the door, and I was having to "duck" to get in. Also hurt my knees stepping up, then stooping down to get in.

Everyone has different needs however. I took the same truck WITHOUT the side steps.
Sponsored