Andrew

Andrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport
you're confused in thinking this is a community web site, rather than a money making venture. there might be some community-ness as a side effect, but the site is clearly not run by and for the community.
Well maybe need to start a new forum if this is going to be an issue going forward.
Sponsored

deeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I'd like to see members be able to start and manage group buys.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Unfortunately Forums don't pay for themselves, vendors do. The gear that this thread is talking about looks awesome, I'd like to see them pay their vendor dues to get a proper group buy going.

595 isn't that bad for a set of decent steel sliders, but I'm sure a proper group buy on this forum with our numbers would get the price down a fair amount.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Unfortunately Forums don't pay for themselves, vendors do. The gear that this thread is talking about looks awesome, I'd like to see them pay their vendor dues to get a proper group buy going.

595 isn't that bad for a set of decent steel sliders, but I'm sure a proper group buy on this forum with our numbers would get the price down a fair amount.
Vendors don't either, the plethora of ads plastered on every spare pixel pay for it. Yea they pay but it's not really enough to make much impact. And to say a proper group buy is just wrong. Most forum groups buys are organized by members, not vendors.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vendors don't either, the plethora of ads plastered on every spare pixel pay for it. Yea they pay but it's not really enough to make much impact. And to say a proper group buy is just wrong. Most forum groups buys are organized by members, not vendors.

I don't disagree with what you stated, however, vendors do make up a non-insignificant revenue stream in addition to ads.

AdBlock doesn't take away Vendor revenue.

I also don't disagree with the group buy statement, but unfortunately "Them's the rules"

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
vendors do make up a non-insignificant revenue stream in addition to ads.
That could be since I don't really know how much vendors pay for membership. I just assumed it was a fairly small amount.
I still think they should just help themselves by offering paid user memberships for like $10/year and incentivize that by providing locked content only available to paying members. Hell I'd pay for a membership just to hear the awesome stories from @P. A. Schilke. They should just have a Phil's Fireside Chat section that's only available for paid members. ?

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
you're confused in thinking this is a community web site, rather than a money making venture. there might be some community-ness as a side effect, but the site is clearly not run by and for the community.
This brings up another question. Who, exactly, does run this site? Who is benefiting from the ad/vendor revenue that it is generating?

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
This brings up another question. Who, exactly, does run this site? Who is benefiting from the ad/vendor revenue that it is generating?
Likely a company. Whoever it is didn't clean up the links on the main page of the website (before the forum) and they link both to a generic page for the theme they're using for the website as well as to the JL Wrangler Forums' Terms and Conditions instead of ours.

So whoever it is, runs at least a handful of sites.

***EDIT***

Here it is. It was buried on the T&C's on the JL Wrangler forum, but interestingly enough isn't listed here.

OBV2 LLC
4790 Irvine Blvd
Suite 105-253
Irvine, CA 92620
jlwranglerforums.com
jeepgladiatorforum.com
civicx.com
supramkv.com
bronco6g.com
ranger5g.com ranger6g.com
mustang7g.com
civicxi.com
nissanz35.com
rivianforums.com
taycanforum.com

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Likely a company. Whoever it is didn't clean up the links on the main page of the website (before the forum) and they link both to a generic page for the theme they're using for the website as well as to the JL Wrangler Forums' Terms and Conditions instead of ours.

So whoever it is, runs at least a handful of sites.

***EDIT***

Here it is. It was buried on the T&C's on the JL Wrangler forum, but interestingly enough isn't listed here.

OBV2 LLC
4790 Irvine Blvd
Suite 105-253
Irvine, CA 92620
jlwranglerforums.com
jeepgladiatorforum.com
civicx.com
supramkv.com
bronco6g.com
ranger5g.com ranger6g.com
mustang7g.com
civicxi.com
nissanz35.com
rivianforums.com
taycanforum.com

That address is also the same as the UPS store :) Someone figured out how to make money by selling ads and facilitating the sale of car parts. I say more power to them! Though I doubt a single forum covers it's own expenses.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
That address is also the same as the UPS store :) Someone figured out how to make money by selling ads and facilitating the sale of car parts. I say more power to them! Though I doubt a single forum covers it's own expenses.
If you look up the the LLC, there's a few actual addresses that are in Irvine, CA. No idea what's actually going on.

As for the cost, I have forums I run that I pay $10/mo for the server, $20/yr for the domain (not a .com) and the very very small amount of revenue I get from Adsense covers those costs twice over per year every year. The overhead of running a website is *very* small. That is unless you use something like vBulletin or XenForo with stupid licensing fees. But even though, you're talking another ~$200/yr or so. Ultimately drops in a bucket if you run even the least intrusive text ads from Google.

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport
I don't disagree with what you stated, however, vendors do make up a non-insignificant revenue stream in addition to ads.

AdBlock doesn't take away Vendor revenue.

I also don't disagree with the group buy statement, but unfortunately "Them's the rules"
The Admin clearly stated in a shut down post it has to be arraigned by a vendor or someone affiliated with the vendor. Therefore a member posting on behalf is affiliated. So them not the rules.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I've got zero problem with somebody making a buck off their ownership of this forum. After all, they're the ones who had the foresight to set the whole thing up. I've just been a wee bit uncomfortable with rules (reasonable though they may be in most cases) coming down from on high, with no indication anywhere on this site of who it is that hands down these rules. A little transparency can be comforting.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Admin clearly stated in a shut down post it has to be arraigned by a vendor or someone affiliated with the vendor. Therefore a member posting on behalf is affiliated. So them not the rules.
You need to pay the vendor tax which I believe they have not done, so the ā€œvendorā€ isnā€™t considered a vendor in this situation. Still the rules.

OP
OP
Andrew

Andrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport
You need to pay the vendor tax which I believe they have not done, so the ā€œvendorā€ isnā€™t considered a vendor in this situation. Still the rules.

Iā€™m sorry but not everyone can be a vendor. If I make a small item for the truck that costs 5 dollars I canā€™t advertise for it on here because I have to be a vendor? Doesnā€™t make any sense. Does this guy pay Ford to have a Ranger forum?? Umm...no so this whole thing is ass backwards. I understand wanting to make some cash but obviously some vendors canā€™t and wonā€™t. Either way if this site starts going downhill thereā€™s several Reddit Ranger forums to go to.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting tons of information on Shrock sliders here... :crackup:
Sponsored