First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Mechanic
Once I finish designing the new bed rack I will move the Hatch RTT over to the Ranger. After I’m satisfied with the bed rack design I’ll start designing the HVO Bed Camper and HVO Flatbed/Canopy.
6F072772-B2FD-4265-8F32-FB3DD4807C13.jpeg

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
No pics in the wild and not mounted on the Ranger, but the Ranger can surely pull it.

I actually used to have this tent mounted on the roof of my former SUV, but the wife didn't like the climb and I didn't like having to close everything up to drive the vehicle.

So, I bought a 4x6 utility trailer off CL and built it into this.

I've had this tent several years now.

Thinking about getting a Free Spirit in the spring.

IMG_0033.jpeg

IMG_0032.jpeg

Last edited:

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
More of my CVT Mt. Shasta and my brother has a Smittybilt Overlander XL Gen2. The fog sure gave it a Silent Hill vibe.

A81C4872-B9FA-4DF6-98AC-AAA9552A4DB2.jpeg

2A238932-E7D9-4E07-AFA2-078158E39B3F.jpeg

68D776CA-7EA8-443C-AAD0-CBA583C2EA48.jpeg

BD4719EA-7B04-48D6-92D1-B083D3C2600C.jpeg

D3371AEA-8349-4785-BF79-EAC8679577FB.jpeg

43D26BAB-82E9-42F8-8FE2-3353B697A610.jpeg

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
Here’s ours, we’ve had it 18 months and just spent our 16th night in it. Surprised at how much she likes it. Home made rack on Retrax pro cover.

E433CDF5-48EA-4977-8186-AB1BCB18E958.jpeg
I haven't run the numbers on the weight situation there, but we also have the Retrax pro and have had great success utilizing Yakima cross-bars for extra gear. Would these have worked for you, or did the weight required necessitate the home-made rack?

RoadTripRanger.jpg

Mcoop57

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4X4, 2016 Honda Goldwing, 2017 Volkswagen GTI
Occupation
Retired
I haven't run the numbers on the weight situation there, but we also have the Retrax pro and have had great success utilizing Yakima cross-bars for extra gear. Would these have worked for you, or did the weight required necessitate the home-made rack?

RoadTripRanger.jpg
I actually found a “mother lode” of aluminum 1X2’s locally for free (long before i even bought the truck) so I never considered using anything else.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm leaving my work vehicle home and taking the Ranger in, in the morning. After I installed my RTT, I had a really annoying, LOUD, whistling noise on the interstate on the way back to the house (that didn't happen on normal surface streets, interstate only). Hopefully on the way to work tomorrow I can figure out how to make it STOP before my wife hears it and kills me. :D

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I'm leaving my work vehicle home and taking the Ranger in, in the morning. After I installed my RTT, I had a really annoying, LOUD, whistling noise on the interstate on the way back to the house (that didn't happen on normal surface streets, interstate only). Hopefully on the way to work tomorrow I can figure out how to make it STOP before my wife hears it and kills me. :D
I'm in the same boat as you! I didn't have the whistle show up until I mounted the tent on the rack. Very noticeable when driving 80mph on I-75 to and from the Ocala area. I'm wondering if its air getting trapped and pulled into the tent cover.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the same boat as you! I didn't have the whistle show up until I mounted the tent on the rack. Very noticeable when driving 80mph on I-75 to and from the Ocala area. I'm wondering if its air getting trapped and pulled into the tent cover.
Before I leave work this evening I'm going to pull my cover off, re-strap the tent, and put the cover on facing backwards from how it's on now.

I think I strapped the tent down too much and the cover is really loose towards the front of the truck because of that. Fingers crossed!

But, I have to say, it wasn't near as bad on my way to work this morning as it was the last time I drove it!

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Before I leave work this evening I'm going to pull my cover off, re-strap the tent, and put the cover on facing backwards from how it's on now.

I think I strapped the tent down too much and the cover is really loose towards the front of the truck because of that. Fingers crossed!

But, I have to say, it wasn't near as bad on my way to work this morning as it was the last time I drove it!
Once zippered up, my tent comes with two cross straps, and I have tightened them the most I feel comfortable. I even loosened and re-screwed their attachment point under the tent to allow a more snug feel. I hope this helps with some of the noise.

During the return trip my brother thought I had them too loose and had me tighten them a bit more. He noticed some ballooning in the center of the tent cover at highway speeds prior to stop to fill up.

I currently have the tent opening to my driver's side, I am thinking of turning her to open to the rear in the near future. Doing this will make the openings in the non-zip area of the cover face the rear of the truck rather than in the direction the air is coming from.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
You guys probably already know this, but if you make a half twist before you tighten your straps on the cover it will keep them from flapping.

When I had mine on my old SUV, the straps would flap no matter how tight I pulled them.

Simply turning the strap over 180 degrees before buckling and the flapping stopped (the twist is across the middle of the cover).

Last edited:

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You guys probably already know this, but if you make a half twist before you tighten your straps on the cover it will keep them from flapping.

When I had mine on my old SUV, the straps would flap no matter how tight I pulled them.

Simply turning the strap over 180 degrees before buckling and the flapping stopped.
Thanks! Didn't know!

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
Once I finish designing the new bed rack I will move the Hatch RTT over to the Ranger. After I’m satisfied with the bed rack design I’ll start designing the HVO Bed Camper and HVO Flatbed/Canopy.
6F072772-B2FD-4265-8F32-FB3DD4807C13.jpeg
nice color coordination!
Sponsored