Shifter question

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
This gave me an excuse to crack the manual open (a rare occasion). From page 152 of 2019 v4 owner's manual: Press the button (1) on the transmission selector lever (2) to select reverse (R) or drive (D). After the transmission is in drive (D), you can then press the button (1) on the transmission selector lever (2) again to select sport (S). The current gear displays on the instrument panel.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
It’s intentionally locked out until you are in drive so you don’t go all the way from park to sport accidentally. The theory behind this is to keep complaints of the shifter always ending up in sport mode. Once you are in drive release the button then press it again and sport will be available.
I actually like it this way. In the wife's Mazda you pull the lever sideways to get into "sport mode" or whatever they call it, no interlock. Being an old manual jockey I tend to rest my hand on the shifter. Sometimes turning a corner I accidentally end up in their "sport mode" and wonder why it's not shifting.

(sidenote) Some mornings I really get mad at auto correct while typing. ?

OP
OP
RangerDangerStranger

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
I actually like it this way. In the wife's Mazda you pull the lever sideways to get into "sport mode" or whatever they call it, no interlock. Being an old manual jockey I tend to rest my hand on the shifter. Sometimes turning a corner I accidentally end up in their "sport mode" and wonder why it's not shifting.

(sidenote) Some mornings I really get mad at auto correct while typing. ?
You can turn it off in the phone settings. What I did.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You can turn it off in the phone settings. What I did.
Don't access the forum much from phone, pain to type on it, usually my tablet or PC. It forces me to read what I wrote before I post. Just annoying sometimes when I get fat fingered?

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Okay, guys, I tried going straight to Sport from a dead stop. It will go there only if I first stop at Drive for a moment and then move on down to Sport. I guess I need to get out the owner's manual again and re-read the section on the transmission. If only the truck didn't seem to "lug" at 25 MPH, I probably would've never even noticed anything. Once again, I want to thank all of you who have chimed in. This is why I love this forum so much!

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Okay, guys, I tried going straight to Sport from a dead stop. It will go there only if I first stop at Drive for a moment and then move on down to Sport. I guess I need to get out the owner's manual again and re-read the section on the transmission. If only the truck didn't seem to "lug" at 25 MPH, I probably would've never even noticed anything. Once again, I want to thank all of you who have chimed in. This is why I love this forum so much!
Funny, I've never noticed mine lugging at 25 MPH, not that anyone around here drives that slow in town much. I haven't used sport mode much, just started playing with it. I may be missing something, but some of the posts almost sound like the truck still shifts itself in sport mode. Mine does not I have to hit the plus or minus for it to shift. since I don't notice the lugging it's more of a pain than a help. My old 5 speed was second nature, didn't even think about it. This is a new trick I need to teach my old thumb. In the wife's Mazda you at least need to move the lever forward or back not the same as a real manual, but close.

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny, I've never noticed mine lugging at 25 MPH, not that anyone around here drives that slow in town much. I haven't used sport mode much, just started playing with it. I may be missing something, but some of the posts almost sound like the truck still shifts itself in sport mode. Mine does not I have to hit the plus or minus for it to shift. since I don't notice the lugging it's more of a pain than a help. My old 5 speed was second nature, didn't even think about it. This is a new trick I need to teach my old thumb. In the wife's Mazda you at least need to move the lever forward or back not the same as a real manual, but close.
Yeah, I have to drive through parking lots at the grocery stores, Home Depot, etc. and I'm afraid to go any faster for fear that a kid might run out in front of me or somebody will start backing out of a space without making sure the coast is clear. Otherwise, I am driving a wee bit faster.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah, I have to drive through parking lots at the grocery stores, Home Depot, etc. and I'm afraid to go any faster for fear that a kid might run out in front of me or somebody will start backing out of a space without making sure the coast is clear. Otherwise, I am driving a wee bit faster.
I agree with you on parking lot speeds, 25 is too fast. I just have not noticed lugging even in those situations. I've Been very happy with the way the transmission selects gears. Skipping 2nd can be annoying at times in traffic but I wouldn't say it over shifts and luggs the engine. Maybe mine has just auto-adjusted to my driving style better.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
in sport mode it will shift on its own until you hit either the up or down buttons.
Ah, that explains it. I did go into sport and shifted right away. Today I put it in sport mode at a stop light and didn't touch it, and it did shift.

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been using Sport from time to time and it does help when driving very slowly. I don't especially like it for automatic use on regular roads, though. It seems to want to stay in the lower gears for a little too long (in my opinion!).

Madtel4

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT-FX4, 2020 Ford Explorer ST, & 2018 Mustang GT
I drive in Sport most of the time. Also when in Drive I push the + or - button so the gear shows up in the display.
Lee

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
I am really shocked that is Sport mode the gear only display if you are actually paddle shifting.
Sponsored