khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
My 2013 Escape requires me to push the button to shift from D to N.
Sponsored

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Drove my 2011 Taurus this morning and remembered to check. Button NEEDS to be pressed to get from drive to neutral.

Lloyd C

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Lexus RX350
Is anyone else bothered with having to pull the trigger on the shift lever to shift from Drive back into Neutral?

The seems us WRONG and have never had to do that on any other vehicle I have had, including other Fords.
This just seems like a safety issue to me. If I have a runaway throttle and wanted to slap it into neutral to stop the acceleration, I certainly would NOT want my anxiousness to cause me to accidentally go too far and put it in Reverse, or Park, by mistake.
I wondered why I have more than once ended up in reverse rather than neutral when driving onto a conveyor belt when going through an automatic car wash. When not completely stoped I find the neutral position a bit clumsy do to the trigger. Thanks for sharing why this has happened. It is inbarrasing to stop the conveyor, find neutral and then have to be reset on the conveyor by an operator who is holding back a laugh.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

First modern engines will not over rev. Fuel and spark can be cut. This concern is way in the past....there are no runaway engines anymore... Different story if you get the brake pedal and the throttle confused...remember the Audi 5000? It is more of an issue when you need to accelerate and accidentally knock the shifter into neutral....lets say you see a hole in traffic and accelerate into that hole only to bump the shiftier into neutral...now you are dead stick in on coming traffic....much more dangerous than worrying about a runaway engine that will not happen.....besides the brakes override the throttle on modern calibrations....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired.

TimberWolf2018

First Name
TW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, crew,
Remember the Dodge push button trans controls? People would get stuck in the snow and go back and forth from d to r until their transmission was cooked. You lucky people who live in the snow can test out what speed you can shift from drive to reverse and back as you try to get unstuck next winter LOL.
Dude I have a fx4 if I get stuck in snow while normal driving we have bigger issues....lol

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
It's not the fx4 that gets people stuck in the snow, it's the turbo :LOL:
Or the "I have 4WD so I can go ANYWHERE" mindset....

TimberWolf2018

First Name
TW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, crew,
Or the "I have 4WD so I can go ANYWHERE" mindset....
for 10 years my daily driver was a neon sport. I live in the snow belt of Canada and I never got stuck once. I can't imagine a situation where I could get stuck in snow with my new ranger under normal driving conditions.

Lloyd C

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Lexus RX350
for 10 years my daily driver was a neon sport. I live in the snow belt of Canada and I never got stuck once. I can't imagine a situation where I could get stuck in snow with my new ranger under normal driving conditions.
I pulled a Toyota Land Cruiser out of a mountain road ditch filled with snow using Trail Management. The truck is awesome regardless of perceived minor issues/differences.
Sponsored