First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 2WD in Magnetic
Occupation
Retired
Is anyone else bothered with having to pull the trigger on the shift lever to shift from Drive back into Neutral?

The seems us WRONG and have never had to do that on any other vehicle I have had, including other Fords.
This just seems like a safety issue to me. If I have a runaway throttle and wanted to slap it into neutral to stop the acceleration, I certainly would NOT want my anxiousness to cause me to accidentally go too far and put it in Reverse, or Park, by mistake.
Sponsored

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Is anyone else bothered with having to pull the trigger on the shift lever to shift from Drive back into Neutral?

The seems us WRONG and have never had to do that on any other vehicle I have had, including other Fords.
This just seems like a safety issue to me. If I have a runaway throttle and wanted to slap it into neutral to stop the acceleration, I certainly would NOT want my anxiousness to cause me to accidentally go too far and put it in Reverse, or Park, by mistake.
Better than having it accidentally slapped into Neutral when you’re off roading or on a Highway!

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired

Re: run away throttle. Since the ranger is "electronic" the brakes take priority over the throttle. My Taurus might also require me to press the button to move the shift lever, but it is so automatic that I will have to actually try it to be sure.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

The trans is electronic. You can shift from drive to reverse while moving over 20 MPH and nothing bad will happen.

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The trans is electronic. You can shift from park to reverse while moving and nothing bad will happen.
I will let you try that one to confirm.... :)

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I will let you try that one to confirm.... :)

As a way of protecting us from ourselves, automakers design a function called Reverse Inhibit into transmissions to prevent inadvertent selection of reverse. "Putting it into reverse [in modern cars] when going forward has no action at all, the car just ignores the request until you get down to a proper speed," said Renneker, using Ford's six-speed automatics as an example; "It'll just say 'hey, I know you want reverse pal, but I'm just not going to give it to you until the appropriate time.'"

https://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/20/reverse-transmission/

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
As a way of protecting us from ourselves, automakers design a function called Reverse Inhibit into transmissions to prevent inadvertent selection of reverse. "Putting it into reverse [in modern cars] when going forward has no action at all, the car just ignores the request until you get down to a proper speed," said Renneker, using Ford's six-speed automatics as an example; "It'll just say 'hey, I know you want reverse pal, but I'm just not going to give it to you until the appropriate time.'"

https://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/20/reverse-transmission/
I'm sure that is how it works - and it totally makes sense, I'm just not going to test it..... I've seen YouTube videos where people have done it just to see what happens and it works just as you stated.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm sure that is how it works - and it totally makes sense, I'm just not going to test it..... I've seen YouTube videos where people have done it just to see what happens and it works just as you stated.
What's the matter McFly....Chicken??

Me too.....;) :)

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have used it to look out back on occasion. The backup camera comes on... Fun stuff. LOL
I make sure I am faster than 20MPH when I put into reverse. The first time I tried it my asshole puckered up pretty good.....All good now.

Here is a Ford Fusion video with the same dashboard as the Lariat

https://www.motor1.com/news/134477/shifting-to-reverse-while-driving/

If you have an old Ranger, these guys put it into reverse at 40MPH ......This will not happen with the 2019s.
https://www.motor1.com/news/239244/ford-ranger-shifts-reverse-video/

Last edited:
OP
OP

UncleBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Relax, it’s not a Toyota :crackup:
It happened to me in a Chevy van a number of years ago when the motor mount failed. The rising motor caused the throttle to go to WOT. It was pretty scary the first time when you didn't know what was happening.

OP
OP

UncleBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I have used it to look out back on occasion. The backup camera comes on... Fun stuff. LOL
I make sure I am faster than 20MPH when I put into reverse. The first time I tried it my asshole puckered up pretty good.....All good now.

Here is a Ford Fusion video with the same dashboard as the Lariat

https://www.motor1.com/news/134477/shifting-to-reverse-while-driving/

If you have an old Ranger, these guys put it into reverse at 40MPH ......This will not happen with the 2019s.
https://www.motor1.com/news/239244/ford-ranger-shifts-reverse-video/
Well, maybe Reverse is protected but I would still like to be able to slap that shift lever into Neutral in an emergency without having to fumble around trying pull on the lever.

pboggini

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XL Ranger 4x2 Supercrew.
It happened to me in a Chevy van a number of years ago when the motor mount failed. The rising motor caused the throttle to go to WOT. It was pretty scary the first time when you didn't know what was happening.
Happened in my '65 Mustang getting on the freeway. Of course I had my foot to the floor accelerating and when I shifted I noticed that the pedal didn't come back up (throttle return spring came off). Just turned it off, pulled over, fixed the spring and sped off. Ah, the days of driving a car that didn't know better than me:).

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Nothing more annoying than someone fiddling around in the car and accidentally bumping the shifter from drive to neutral. Especially on the interstate. Thank god it has a button lock out to prevent that.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Remember the Dodge push button trans controls? People would get stuck in the snow and go back and forth from d to r until their transmission was cooked. You lucky people who live in the snow can test out what speed you can shift from drive to reverse and back as you try to get unstuck next winter LOL.
Sponsored