First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
Question- When you shift to S sport, does the finger trigger on the shifter stay depressed, or does it pop out like on all the other shift positions?
Sponsored

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Mine stays depressed making it very easy to skip back into D.

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
I can't seem to get my shifter to go into Sport from a dead stop. Is this normal?

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I can't seem to get my shifter to go into Sport from a dead stop. Is this normal?
No , somethings wrong ....push the button down, keep it depressed and pull back to sport...if that doesn’t work, Id see the dealer..
Regard
Doc

EDIT : I assumed you were already driving and then trying to engage sport from a dead stop like at a red light..

Regards

Last edited:

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
um...no

it should be pretty easy to do.

can you describe in fuller details the steps you are following for this to happen
Starting off in our driveway, I tried a couple of times to go straight to S, but it wouldn't pull all the way down. I had to start in Drive and then change to Sport. That's really all I know to say about it. Thanks for your reply.

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No , somethings wrong ....push the button down, keep it depressed and pull back to sport...if that doesn’t work, Id see the dealer..
Regard
Doc
Thanks. I'll do that.

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did hold the button down and on the advice of another forum member, I've started using S when driving slowly on city streets and in store parking lots. It keeps the truck from jerking and lugging the engine. It seems to want to use fifth or sixth gear at around 25MPH in Drive.

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will be trying it tomorrow. Thanks to you and Doc for taking the time to reply.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 XL STX FX4
I did hold the button down and on the advice of another forum member, I've started using S when driving slowly on city streets and in store parking lots. It keeps the truck from jerking and lugging the engine. It seems to want to use fifth or sixth gear at around 25MPH in Drive.
Does your Ranger jerk around a lot in 6th at those speeds? I was a little concerned the 1st time mine went to 6th at between 20-25 mph, probably 1300 rpm or so, but it never lugged on me and a slight bit of gas pulled it up to above 1500 rpm without downshifting or jerking. These engines have gobs of low end torque so i wasn't worried, but im curious if your truck did indeed lug at that speed/gear. I was just driving home today and coasted down to 20 from 6th gear (at just over 25), and it downshifted into 5th at right around what I'd estimate to be ~22 mph & ~1200 rpm, so im guessing that's the computer's lower limit.

Mpro2

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt
Question- When you shift to S sport, does the finger trigger on the shifter stay depressed, or does it pop out like on all the other shift positions?
I was at my dealership two weeks ago and asked them the very same question. They said it was standard for the trigger to stay depressed while in sport mode. They said that it was to make it to where you could quickly pop it back in to drive mode if needed.....I know, weird.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
It’s intentionally locked out until you are in drive so you don’t go all the way from park to sport accidentally. The theory behind this is to keep complaints of the shifter always ending up in sport mode. Once you are in drive release the button then press it again and sport will be available.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
It’s intentionally locked out until you are in drive so you don’t go all the way from park to sport accidentally. The theory behind this is to keep complaints of the shifter always ending up in sport mode. Once you are in drive release the button then press it again and sport will be available.
Legit complaints, I had a focus that would always end up in sport mode by mistake. Not a big deal unless I accidentally shifted manually.

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
Starting off in our driveway, I tried a couple of times to go straight to S, but it wouldn't pull all the way down. I had to start in Drive and then change to Sport. That's really all I know to say about it. Thanks for your reply.
That is the way you have to do it, you can not go straight to "Sport" mode.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
That is the way you have to do it, you can not go straight to "Sport" mode.
This is true, however, if you are at a red light afterwards it will shift to sport at idle. I was thinking he meant from a dead stop...
Regards

Last edited:

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Regard
Doc

EDIT : I assumed you were already driving and then trying to engage sport from a dead stop like at a red light..

Regards
EDIT: Captaineddie, “I can't seem to get my shifter to go into Sport from a dead stop. Is this normal?“
Sponsored

Last edited: