Lighted Shifter Bezel?

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Not sure what to call it, I searched and saw a post from another user, but didn't see a good answer. My 2020 ranger does not have a lighted shifter bezel. AKA: the PRNDS area on the console is not lighted. I know on the F-150 they did this also and there is no rhyme or reason by year or trim level. So 2 questions:

Do some of you have lighted shifter lights? Anyone know the part number for it?

Also my vehicle does not have the ecoboost emblem on the back... Not complaining, I really don't like the blue oval on the tailgate either (I like a clean look), but curious why it's missing.
Sponsored

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
My June 2020 built Lariat has the PRNDS light.

Nobody has reported having an indicator, so the light is not very useful.

AverageWhiteGuy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Professional Procastinator
[...]My 2020 ranger does not have a lighted shifter bezel. AKA: the PRNDS area on the console is not lighted. [...] Do some of you have lighted shifter lights? Anyone know the part number for it?
I'm going to take a picture when I go on break, but here's what I found on ford's website for my 2020 Ford Ranger Lariat:
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/gear-shift-lever-13095253-1#sectionId:141075383
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/panel-console-9878087-1#sectionId:95018946

Also my vehicle does not have the ecoboost emblem on the back... Not complaining, I really don't like the blue oval on the tailgate either (I like a clean look), but curious why it's missing.
I don't think I have ecoboost emblem on the back, do you mean the FLEX FUEL green emblem? I would never put 85 percent ethanol fuel in a direct injected inline 4, don't care if they say it "can do it". :p

Last edited:
OP
OP
daczone

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I'm going to take a picture when I go on break, but here's what I found on ford's website for my 2020 Ford Ranger Lariat:
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/gear-shift-lever-13095253-1#sectionId:141075383
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/panel-console-9878087-1#sectionId:95018946

I don't think I have ecoboost emblem on the back, do you mean the FLEX FUEL green emblem? I would never put 85 percent ethanol fuel in a direct injected inline 4, don't care if they say it "can do it". :p
I thought it was an ecoboost emblem. On the right of the tailgate, but I have nothing there. So I'm not really sure.

OP
OP
daczone

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
According to this thread, removing the shifter backlight was a running change implemented in July 2020.

My 2019 XL lights up, but I actually didn't notice this until members started bringing up that theirs didn't.
Thank You... That sums it up. I couldn't find a part number for that anywhere. Seems like a silly thing to remove. I noticed at night when I went to put it into gear, but my wifes F-150 has the same thing, no light (but used to). I guess at least I have the engine mushroom cover.

AverageWhiteGuy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
@daczone ;;
I thought it was an ecoboost emblem. On the right of the tailgate, but I have nothing there. So I'm not really sure.
ford_ranger_back_ecoboost_emblem.jpg

You are correct, it is a ecoboost emblem! :O

Interesting.. they sell the bezel for about $30 mrsp:
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/body/other-body-related-parts-general/name-plate-7794011-1

[...]My 2020 ranger does not have a lighted shifter bezel. AKA: the PRNDS area on the console is not lighted. [...] Do some of you have lighted shifter lights? Anyone know the part number for it?
ford_ranger_lighted_shifter.jpg

I took apart my shifter cover earlier to install the auto start stop eliminator dongle. I could probably pop it open, and take a look. But I make no promises, I remember it being real difficult to get underneath the plate. I should also mention it is connected in some way, to the instrument panel, because I can lower or raise the brightness with the LED brightness dial on the left side of the driver wheel. (Also.. while the instrument cluster will detect the position of the shifter, the illuminated cover doesn't... that drives me a little bonkers... :p )

Last edited:

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah after 40 yrs of driving I seem to be trained to look at the floor shifter not the dash when I put it in gear. I have found neutral a few times when shooting for drive. So I can relate to being driven crazy ☺
My 2019 is lighted BTW. I wonder if a tab could be added to the mechanism to block the light...
My Frontier had a really dim light with a light pipe that moved with the shifter. After 10 yrs of owning it I finally found a brighter LED (it was an odd non-std bulb) so I could see it.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Seems to me like something that if it wasn't there to start with you wouldn't miss it. Kind of useless anyway as it doesn't tell you what gear your in anyway. I came from a manual and didn't even notice it was there. Any automatic I've had had the indicator in the dash.

Just another trivial issue for people to complain about. Thank you COVID.

OP
OP
daczone

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Seems to me like something that if it wasn't there to start with you wouldn't miss it. Kind of useless anyway as it doesn't tell you what gear your in anyway. I came from a manual and didn't even notice it was there. Any automatic I've had had the indicator in the dash.

Just another trivial issue for people to complain about. Thank you COVID.
Sadly from owning Audi's in the past they really know how to do the Ambient Lighting, the Ranger and the color lights on the door handles is rather silly, but when I grab the shifter in the dark there really should be lights there. After all you are moving the lever that makes the car move.

I'm willing to buy that lighted piece if I knew the part number. Just seems like it's something that should be there.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Sadly from owning Audi's in the past they really know how to do the Ambient Lighting, the Ranger and the color lights on the door handles is rather silly, but when I grab the shifter in the dark there really should be lights there. After all you are moving the lever that makes the car move.

I'm willing to buy that lighted piece if I knew the part number. Just seems like it's something that should be there.
I don't think you're understanding how useless the light was. It doesn't show anything about what gear it's in. Unless you're having trouble finding the big honking shift handle it isn't adding anything. And even then, it isn't lighting up the part you actually grab.

AverageWhiteGuy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
I don't think you're understanding how useless the light was. It doesn't show anything about what gear it's in. Unless you're having trouble finding the big honking shift handle it isn't adding anything. And even then, it isn't lighting up the part you actually grab.
That's why we need you to re-engineer the light so it does things it was never meant to do. Get on it VAMike, we're rooting for you! :D

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
That's why we need you to re-engineer the light so it does things it was never meant to do. Get on it VAMike, we're rooting for you! :D
I think it's easier to just ignore it.
Sponsored