Scrolling ads

BigOlBish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Rapid Red
Did they just add these? Been on here using my phone since like December and I can't remember ever seeing them til now. These forums already aren't setup that great now I gotta deal with this shit every time

Screenshot_20210205-225636_Chrome.jpg
Sponsored

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I don't use my phone for this site. But, I'm guessing they have to pay for the cost of the site someway. I've noticed on a couple other apps that ads have been popping up in places that they weren't before.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Did they just add these? Been on here using my phone since like December and I can't remember ever seeing them til now. These forums already aren't setup that great now I gotta deal with this shit every time

Screenshot_20210205-225636_Chrome.jpg
I'll occasionally go on here with my phone using Safari and have never seen any ads. That ad could be telling you something? lol ? J/K

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
I just noticed that one and this annoying overlay ad at the bottom. Also seem like the ads changer every 60 seconds or so and make everything shift. It's all annoying af.

Seems like it might be time to turn on the ad blocker

Screenshot_20210206-083048.png

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
As far as I can recall, this forum has always been supported by ads. Without advertisers, people would need a paid subscription to access forums like ranger5g.com.

Anyone using social media and online community forums should expect to give up a certain degree of privacy and information and to be presented with ads based on the privacy and information they forfeited when they signed up. Itā€™s just the way these things work.

Iā€™m fine with all that but that doesnā€™t mean anyone else has to be. Itā€™s the choice we all make when we join a platform. I think this is a great forum with invaluable information and advice. To many, the members are the forum and disrespecting ranger5g.com isnā€™t going to win anyone much support from the members.

There are ads on here - all kinds of them - usually several per page. Itā€˜s spelled out in the forumā€™s Privacy Policy. If people are bothered by the ads, there are browser settings or browser add-ons that can be used. If not, maybe this forum isnā€™t for them.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
The day I did a google search for pictures of the Bronco Outer Banks I started getting pop-ups for vacations at the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Big Brother is watching you.......:inspect: :shock: :)

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I logged in through my phone to check it out. I don't see any ads. I'm on a Samsung with the stock browser. In the add-ons I have choices for ad blockers. I use Ad Block Plus there and it works.
Screenshot_20210206-091851_Samsung Internet.jpg

On the PC I've got even more power. I use Ublock origin and NoScript to completely control display of web pages. Not only no ads, popovers, overlays or animations but I'll remove annoying elements of web pages.

OP
OP

BigOlBish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As far as I can recall, this forum has always been supported by ads. Without advertisers, people would need a paid subscription to access forums like ranger5g.com.

Anyone using social media and online community forums should expect to give up a certain degree of privacy and information and to be presented with ads based on the privacy and information they forfeited when they signed up. Itā€™s just the way these things work.

Iā€™m fine with all that but that doesnā€™t mean anyone else has to be. Itā€™s the choice we all make when we join a platform. I think this is a great forum with invaluable information and advice. To many, the members are the forum and disrespecting ranger5g.com isnā€™t going to win anyone much support from the members.

There are ads on here - all kinds of them - usually several per page. Itā€˜s spelled out in the forumā€™s Privacy Policy. If people are bothered by the ads, there are browser settings or browser add-ons that can be used. If not, maybe this forum isnā€™t for them.
If you want to get upset with my saying the layout of the forums suck then go ahead. Never said anything about the members.

I understand ads are necessary which is why I didn't have my adblocker on before but if they're going to start allowing intrusive ads then it's time to turn it on. Maybe they get paid more to allow them but I'd be curious to see if it evens out eventually from the people getting upset and using an adblocker

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I'm with you OP.

I've never used a blocker. But I might now.

I don't mind ads normally.

These new ads are obtrusive AF and really suck.

OP
OP

BigOlBish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The day I did a google search for pictures of the Bronco Outer Banks I started getting pop-ups for vacations at the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Big Brother is watching you.......:inspect: :shock: :)
Yeah It doesn't really bother me. I work in cybersecurity so I understand how it works and what they use it for. If you're not on someone list for doing bad then there's nothing to worry about. Dont have a problem with ads but they changed something yesterday to allow the scrolling ones that would shift my screen when trying to select stuff

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Thank you, BigOlBish. Your post got me thinking. Iā€™m not complaining about this forum as yaā€™ll know I love it. But frankly, I got sick and tired of an ad with a woman with some big pink thing stuck in her mouth. Looked very obscene. For some reason havenā€™t thought about ad blockers, but I installed one just now and WOW! What a difference! :turkey: :turkey: :turkey:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Thank you, BigOlBish. Your post got me thinking. Iā€™m not complaining about this forum as yaā€™ll know I love it. But frankly, I got sick and tired of an ad with a woman with some big pink thing stuck in her mouth. Looked very obscene. For some reason havenā€™t thought about ad blockers, but I installed one just now and WOW! What a difference! :turkey: :turkey: :turkey:
My wife strolled behind me just as that one came up.

"What are you doing?!?!"

:crackup:

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Just something to think about before you start running an ad blocker: :cool:

I have a couple of websites that provide useful information that people are looking for. It costs money and a lot time to create such sites. Money needs to be spent on hosting and developers so that it runs fast. Security is another issue. Plus, technology is changing all the time and you have to keep up with it. This doesn't account for the time spent on content creation that the websites provide.

Forums are a whole other can of worms to run. They take even more work to keep them running smoothly and security is an even bigger cost / issue.

What's funny is how people on the internet just assume that these websites are created for little money and other peoples enjoyment. These same people typically are the ones that get offended when these website try to recoup costs or earn a revenue from their efforts such as running ads.

Websites with good content and well run forums require revenue - ads is one of those sources. I personally do not like intrusive ads or pop ups, so I make sure that the media platform I use does not use them. It's the choice of the one running the website. Some of those ads can make good money.

There are exceptions of course, but quality websites and popular websites usually find a good balance. If you have a website you frequent, then email them and tell them if certain ads or ad placements are more of a hinderance and interfering with the experience. Most will listen and adjust when people complain.

Running ad blockers drives down revenue and closes some good websites. If they aren't selling a product, then there is no reason to keep running one if you can't make any money.

If everyone who participates here started running ad blockers, then were are you going to go for your Ranger 5g information and entertainment?

Just something to think about. I will slowly step off my soap box now. :whew:

OP
OP

BigOlBish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just something to think about before you start running an ad blocker: :cool:

I have a couple of websites that provide useful information that people are looking for. It costs money and a lot time to create such sites. Money needs to be spent on hosting and developers so that it runs fast. Security is another issue. Plus, technology is changing all the time and you have to keep up with it. This doesn't account for the time spent on content creation that the websites provide.

Forums are a whole other can of worms to run. They take even more work to keep them running smoothly and security is an even bigger cost / issue.

What's funny is how people on the internet just assume that these websites are created for little money and other peoples enjoyment. These same people typically are the ones that get offended when these website try to recoup costs or earn a revenue from their efforts such as running ads.

Websites with good content and well run forums require revenue - ads is one of those sources. I personally do not like intrusive ads or pop ups, so I make sure that the media platform I use does not use them. It's the choice of the one running the website. Some of those ads can make good money.

There are exceptions of course, but quality websites and popular websites usually find a good balance. If you have a website you frequent, then email them and tell them if certain ads or ad placements are more of a hinderance and interfering with the experience. Most will listen and adjust when people complain.

Running ad blockers drives down revenue and closes some good websites. If they aren't selling a product, then there is no reason to keep running one if you can't make any money.

If everyone who participates here started running ad blockers, then were are you going to go for your Ranger 5g information and entertainment?

Just something to think about. I will slowly step off my soap box now. :whew:
I agree they're necessary but as of yesterday got a lot more intrusive and obnoxious. I don't use an ad blocker but with the way things are going I will start to. That's what this thread is for, if the owner/admin sees and realizes they might end up losing money then they will consider reverting it.
Sponsored