First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
FordPass is a privacy nightmare. I cringed at not only what data they shared but who with. Now I notice on an update that they want you to "log your journey." Right....

I think you can get around this while still benefiting from the points. Put your FordPass on your iPad (if you have one) and delete it off your iPhone. This way, they aren't tracking you and getting any data off your phone.

v/r,
Rich
On Android v9 and up you can go in and set the permissions the FordPass app gets. I blocked all but location and that is set to "Only when app is in use" Since I never use it I'm not too concerned about that for now. I also shut off the Wifi and "Log Your Journey" access in the truck, as well as all other possible means for it to communicate back to Ford. But even with that all shut off or blocked, there's no way to completely shut down tracking on the truck unless you disconnect the modem, WiFi and Sirius antennas.

In this day and age its becoming nearly impossible keep them from tracking you and selling your meta data with everyone. But you can make it as difficult as possible, and minimize what they can get.
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Not to hijack thread, but somewhat related. The dealer I bought from was so nice, all lovey dovey until I signed the paperwork. They handed me the keys and kicked me to the door. No explanation of how anything on truck works. Still trying to figure out the technology. If it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't have known about the points. I did get them. Not even an intro to service department or how things work around there as far as getting service.
Maybe I've been spoiled by other manufacturers. This is my first new Ford. SMH...

Make sure you answer the survey with this information.
Agreed. The Ford survey is how the dealers get paid for the new car/truck sales. Anything less than a 5 star rating and the dealer gets squat for that sale.

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Make sure you answer the survey with this information.
Oh I did include it in the survey. I waited 2 weeks to think and be fair. The owner sent me an email a couple days after I bought to say if I can't give 5 stars to call and he'd make it right. I pondered, but the horse had already left the barn. there was nothing he could do to make it right. Even if he threw services my way, the same thing would happen to the next customer, and that wouldn't be right. I wouldn't want anyone else to feel cheated like I did. I was fair about presale service.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
FordPass is a privacy nightmare. I cringed at not only what data they shared but who with. Now I notice on an update that they want you to "log your journey." Right....

I think you can get around this while still benefiting from the points. Put your FordPass on your iPad (if you have one) and delete it off your iPhone. This way, they aren't tracking you and getting any data off your phone.

v/r,
Rich
My understanding is if you don't activate the modem, you don't get the points. For me it wasn't worth the loss of privacy.

My other concern is they can update the truck software via the modem.... uhm. no thanks.

gov cheese

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt super cab
my sales guy sat there, we set it up, then had me sign off on a sheet for him to show I did.

find another dealer I'd say.

D
I had to opt out of ford pass twice. Wrote not only NO but "F" NO!!!! My sales person ask me not to do that. Then he looked at me dumb founded as i was the first person to turn down "free points offer. Well, you are not getting those points for free you are selling your information for cheap. i refuse to plug my phone directly into the USB port. Use a cigarette lighter adapter to USB to charge the phone.

Will be disconnecting the TCU from the antenna at some point as i will not use the "free" hot spot modem or Sirius radio. Will update firmware with a thumb-drive if needed. Always look at what is being fixed before downloading updates. If it is something i have no interest in using there is no point in updating unless it fixes a security risk.

Reminds me need to increase the tin foil layers in my stylish reflective hat.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Ford giving me the run around over some BS 60 day deadline to link to modem. First Ford Pass rep said we met deadline and sent case up the chain. Now Ford is backpedaling and denying me my points; trying to offer me 10,000 points consolation offer. This is total nonsense, we bought the vehicle and nobody from Ford ever said anything about a 60 day deadline. Ford chasing away customers for absolutely no reason is baffling to me?
I had the same thing happen to me, only I met the deadline and Ford failed to make the connection.
After they failed three times, the time expired and they gave me 10000 Courtesy Points without taking responsibility.
The dealer tried, the service dept. tried and the Marketing dept at Ford tried.
They even informed me that it only worked with I-phone.
My Samsung now works just fine.
Anyway I settled for the 10000 points and I have no idea what that's worth! :facepalm: :LOL:

Last edited:

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
My sales guy told me it would take a week for the points to show up, as we configured everything on my phone right there on the lot on the day I bought it. I waited 2 weeks, and nothing showed up. I called my sales guy, and he said to give it a month. So I did. After a month, app still showed 0 points, as did the Ford website. I finally took the time to chat with someone on Ford.com about it, and they said clearly something was screwed up with my FordPass account. They said they would escalate it, and that I'd get a phone call from someone within 3 days. That was more than 10 days ago. No phone calls. No emails. Nada from Ford.

But I opened my FordPass app today while looking at this conversation, and there are magically 42,000 points there now. I don't recall the last time I looked... probably 3 days ago. ?‍♂

I don't have any immediate plans to use the points for anything, and I've disabled as much as I can to cut down on compromising my privacy... but whatever. I hear it's hard to get parts paid for with FordPass points, and I don't want to take it to the dealer for most routine service - I'll do all that myself. So, maybe I'll never even use them. Then again, maybe I can get one of my local dealers service depts to order parts for me, so I can get a little discount on the FPP leveling kit....

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Crew 4x4 XLT Blue
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
Do is there something more to activating the modem then just activating Ford pass, pretty sure I got my points and am using a rooted Samsung burner phone with almost everything disabled but still curious.

Also if my truck is an xlt without the 302 package isn't the entire GPS module not installed in the truck? If that is the case and my phones location GPS is disabled they then shouldn't be able to pin point track me correct?

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Yeah, no kidding. This will be what I remember in five years when I purchase a new vehicle and it's not a Ford. A lousy $210.
While I understand your frustration...I'm flabbergasted that you want to hold a corporate entity accountable because your dealership and more so your sales guy screwed you. Ford is clear with their rules governing the program and your dealership ineptitude should reflect directly on them. I'd have understood if your were to say in five years your going to find a new dealership; your anger and frustration is misdirected.

As many have said, their salsesguy, like my own, sat down with them and made them download the app prior to leaving.

Fight your dealer, not Ford.

Jbroke

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Sports
While I understand your frustration...I'm flabbergasted that you want to hold a corporate entity accountable because your dealership and more so your sales guy screwed you. Ford is clear with their rules governing the program and your dealership ineptitude should reflect directly on them. I'd have understood if your were to say in five years your going to find a new dealership; your anger and frustration is misdirected.

As many have said, their salsesguy, like my own, sat down with them and made them download the app prior to leaving.

Fight your dealer, not Ford.
Yup even close to an hour after the dealership was closed for the day my guy went through the entire truck with me, including fordpass

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I found out what 10000 points are worth.... $50
That's .5% of the accumulated points with strings attached.
About 15 minutes in the service dept.
I guess I could have had them adjust my tire pressure on delivery instead. :clap:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
So I found out what 10000 points are worth.... $50
That's .5% of the accumulated points with strings attached.
About 15 minutes in the service dept.
I guess I could have had them adjust my tire pressure on delivery instead. :clap:
:idea: $50... that would be enough coin to replace those (2) missing bed tie downs..

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
anyone else ever wonder what else they deleted off the truck to save costs.

surely two tie down rings wasnt the saving grace to turn a higher profit.

I think theres more missing.....

like half the bolts to hold things together. shorter welds, thinner sheet metal, less paint and primer....
I think there was a supply problem on the tie downs, no evidence of the quality issues you mention.
There are things which were promised, but I think they may be incompetence in marketing.

For instance.... Lumbar support on the passenger seat, some of the Co-pilot features, the productivity screen, etc.

Deleted member 1634

I think there was a supply problem on the tie downs, no evidence of the quality issues you mention.
There are things which were promised, but I think they may be incompetence in marketing.

For instance.... Lumbar support on the passenger seat, some of the Co-pilot features, the productivity screen, etc.
That's a problem we run into all the time. Marketing/sales promises something, then it's up to engineering to either make it happen or get blamed when it doesn't work/can't happen. Marketing basically sets the constraints for the design, whether it's physically, time, or monetarily possible.
Sponsored