Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
its not a Ford problem, its an Apple problem, I think last month apple said they were going to stop carplay support and updates because to many issues they cant seem to resolve ie: its making them look bad LOL
I was Apple way back in the mid 80s had all their phones upto about 6 years ago and gave TF up on them for good, I will never own anything with an apple logo on it ever again, you gota know if their products got shitty enough to piss off a decades long user its a pretty bad product?
9 months every day use, I probably plug it in 5 times a day, I have never had even one issue with my "android" auto hooking up, cable or bluetooth it just works ...
Well that would suck big time if Carplay support is stopped...it's the ONLY reason I use Sync...

OT, but I have a major beef with Apple and their lousy habit of removing older app that were created for Wi-Fi controlled device/toys...a few years ago, I received a very cool 1/18 RC limited edition MassEffect ND1 6 wheel drive with POV camera...it was app controlled through iPhone...the app isn't supported anymore and you can't get one so my very cool limited edition RC is now a brick! DON'T BUY ANYTHING THAT REQUIRES AN APPLE APP!!!!!:mad:
Sponsored

Billythekidd

First Name
Willyu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
its not a Ford problem, its an Apple problem, I think last month apple said they were going to stop carplay support and updates because to many issues they cant seem to resolve ie: its making them look bad LOL
I was Apple way back in the mid 80s had all their phones upto about 6 years ago and gave TF up on them for good, I will never own anything with an apple logo on it ever again, you gota know if their products got shitty enough to piss off a decades long user its a pretty bad product?
9 months every day use, I probably plug it in 5 times a day, I have never had even one issue with my "android" auto hooking up, cable or bluetooth it just works ...
I think you may be confused about Car Play: GM is dropping both Car Play and Android Auto.. I use the current car play without any problems at all in my Ranger with cable and in my Mazda MX 5 wireless. While I do agree the Apple of today is not the Apple of yesterday, it is still a good experience and I still take it over PC any day. Yup, I have been using Apple since the 80's with my first being an Apple II....

Apple is working with automakers to make a brand-distinct CarPlay experience. Apple's next-generation CarPlay environment arrives in 2024. The company previewed the Aston Martin and Porsche's CarPlay interfaces. The next-gen CarPlay interface features brand-distinct design touches.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
OT, but I have a major beef with Apple and their lousy habit of removing older app that were created for Wi-Fi controlled device/toys...a few years ago, I received a very cool 1/18 RC limited edition MassEffect ND1 6 wheel drive with POV camera...it was app controlled through iPhone...the app isn't supported anymore and you can't get one so my very cool limited edition RC is now a brick! DON'T BUY ANYTHING THAT REQUIRES AN APPLE APP!!!!!:mad:
I have one of the original DJI drones with camera. I bought it to get footage of our house being built, and don't use it much any more. I went to use it a year ago and the app was not available any longer for my new phone. I don't know that's an apple issue, or the company didn't update the app for that camera for the new IOS. Luckily I still have my old phone and the app was still installed, so I can still use the drone cam if I ever want to again.

Billythekidd

First Name
Willyu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Well that would suck big time if Carplay support is stopped...it's the ONLY reason I use Sync...

My question is who stopped supporting, Apple or the company that made the app? Just curious.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My question is who stopped supporting, Apple or the company that made the app? Just curious.
Apple constantly updating their IOS...if older apps aren't keeping up...eventually Apple just deletes the apps...

I have a iPhone 7 in perfect condition but Apple won't support even their own older products and so it can't get upgraded...then apps that are being updated along with IOS won't work with my older phone...WTH!? I begrudgingly upgraded my phone...

Billythekidd

First Name
Willyu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Apple constantly updating their IOS...if older apps aren't keeping up...eventually Apple just deletes the apps...

I have a iPhone 7 in perfect condition but Apple won't support even their own older products and so it can't get upgraded...then apps that are being updated along with IOS won't work with my older phone...WTH!? I begrudgingly upgraded my phone...
I am guessing like most things that software updates, IOS in this case require hardware features that are not available in in older phone. If you had the app and a working phone, it should not have stopped working... The app when it is no longer supported by the manufacturer (just like many Apps for Macs or PC's no longer will run on older hardware) should still work on the older hardware without an update. For example, I have an old app that is on my iphone 6 to control a old Parrot drone my daughter gave me. The IPhone still works and so does the app. The problem came about when the manufacturer (Parrot) no longer allowed the app to connect to their network as it was no longer supported by Parrot.

Just wait until Windows 10 support ends... they are estimating that it will cause an enormous amount of physical waste as people need to buy new machines because Windows 11 requires a new security chip that the old machines do not have... Yes there are some work arounds but most of those do not let one update the Windows software which is almost a weekly event now.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you had the app and a working phone, it should not have stopped working...
Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention to the wonderful Apple feature "offload unused apps"...years go by and I bring out the toy but the app is gone...I go try and reinstall it only to find they've removed it from their store... :mad:

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I am not an apple fanboi... but, I had to upgrade from my iphone 5 a while back because verizon wasn't going to support it. It wasn't because of Apple, per se, other than the hardware wasn't up to snuff. And M$ does the same thing. Most of the time software will run on a new version of windows, or perhaps the OS has a compatibility mode, but sometimes it just won't work.

Again, I'm not taking sides, but sometimes it just happens and they can't keep supporting old stuff if the user base isn't there to justify it. Still sucks if you are the one to get bit.

First Name
Jayrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance
Anyone following this thread using Android auto? Using google maps and its really lagging at times, only started about 4 months ago. I see there's a revised TSB 23-2307 published in October referring to a blanket of issues which could affect Android and Apple users alike.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Anyone following this thread using Android auto? Using google maps and its really lagging at times, only started about 4 months ago. I see there's a revised TSB 23-2307 published in October referring to a blanket of issues which could affect Android and Apple users alike.
I think this TSB is just referring to all the issues caused by build 22251 and having the dealer update to 23188.

Grandaccess

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I was thumbing through the settings today and noticed it said an update happened on 1/4/24?
I didnt notice anything change and everything still works good, probably some background bugs they have to keep fixing for those apple phones?

lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
student
It's funny reading all these posts about how terrible Carplay is, but it's just as bad with Android auto! Screen locks up and I have to unplug my phone and plug it back in to get it the Ford screen to respond to touch pretty much everytime I get in the car now. Pretty annoying. It does seem like it's become worse lately so maybe Ford has been making updates?

R80GSEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger 4WD Lariat, R80G/S, 05 Ural Gear Up, 70 SL350
QUICK CARPLAY SYNC RESET

My dealer finally told me the shortcut. I tried everything; open and closed doors, turn truck on and off, wait five minutes, unplug and plug iPhone, etc.

Now all I do is press the radio power button and the fast-forward button at the same time. Hold them down. Sync will go black, reset, and CarPlay works every time.

Hope this helps. I make a lot of texts and calls for work so this is an absolute requirement for me.

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Executive Pastor
I have 95k miles and use AppleCar play all the time for music and nav. I have had not had any issues with the SYNC unit until about 6 weeks ago. Now, I have to reboot the SYNC almost every time I get in it and many days a few times before I even complete a 15 min drive.
One interesting glitch is the back-up camera will stay on while in drive for sometimes over a mile or so.
The update site says I need an update, so I will try the wifi way today and if that doesn't work, I will use the USB version next week while I drive to o . Here's hoping it works.

OP
OP

TBM837

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
QUICK CARPLAY SYNC RESET

My dealer finally told me the shortcut. I tried everything; open and closed doors, turn truck on and off, wait five minutes, unplug and plug iPhone, etc.

Now all I do is press the radio power button and the fast-forward button at the same time. Hold them down. Sync will go black, reset, and CarPlay works every time.

Hope this helps. I make a lot of texts and calls for work so this is an absolute requirement for me.
I'm slow over here, but is the truck motor on or just accessory power?
Sponsored