First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I know there's a niche for these but being a "truck guy" they're just not for me. I (like you) just cant call these a truck. lol I just have flashbacks of these. ?

Brat.jpg
Wow, a Brat. My Dad bought one of those in '79. It was fun to drive, and tough as nails. It wouldn't haul a loaf of bread, but it would get through the rough if the holes weren't too deep. :)

As far as the Maverick, and Santa Cruz go I see them as just a different kind of Ridgeline. Until I see one of either on a work site I also refuse to call them a truck. However, I expect Ford and Hyundai will sell a ton of them. They will make good weekend warriors for city dwellers, and suburbanites that need to make a run for plants at their local Lowes/Home Depot.
Sponsored

Last edited:

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Why can no one produce a truck without embossing the model name in huge letters across the tailgate now? It was novel when it was just one or two models out there but now it's anything with a bed.
Phil, it reminds me of the old saying "monkey see, monkey do". I don't know who started it, but all the others followed right along.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
agreed! I kinda wish my new ranger didnt say ranger on the tailgate... i know that may get me some hate.
If I could get rid of the "RANGER" and Blue Oval on the grill, the "RANGER" and "LARIAT" on the fender vents, and the "RANGER" embossed on the tailgate, leaving only the Blue Oval on the rear I'd be very happy.

But I prefer a clean look, I can do without all the branding.

These little Hyundais are starting to pile up at the dealerships I drive by. Wonder if the novelty is wearing off a bit?

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
What's with all the ugly vehicles hitting the market? I don't like the Maverick front end (or the new Ranger, for that matter). I'm not a fan of this one, either, but it's marginally better than those.

And I also have a hard time with any center stack that lacks physical buttons and knobs. That tactile feedback is so important.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I know there's a niche for these but being a "truck guy" they're just not for me. I (like you) just cant call these a truck. lol I just have flashbacks of these. ?

Brat.jpg
I hated those Brats . One pulled out in front of me in '88 and totaled my '75 TA that I had just painted Corvette Firethorn Red . The impact slung two kids over the side that were in the bed seats on to the hwy and I just knew I had killed them . Luckily they got up quickly and dusted it off . The mom was hysterical and couldn't even get out of the car .

I loved that car .

75ta.jpg

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
That thing is an eye sore if you ask me. To each their own I guess
Start packing your visine to get ready for sore eyes. Those things are gonna sell. Today’s powderpuff, inclusion, don’t offend etc are gonna love it.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I hated those Brats . One pulled out in front of me in '88 and totaled my '75 TA that I had just painted Corvette Firethorn Red . The impact slung two kids over the side that were in the bed seats on to the hwy and I just knew I had killed them . Luckily they got up quickly and dusted it off . The mom was hysterical and couldn't even get out of the car .

I loved that car .

75ta.jpg
Wow Benny thank God the kids were alright that must of been a scary situation. Sorry to hear about your T/A looks like it was a beauty! ?

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
The rear Death Seats, I mean "Sport" seats, were a way for Subaru to avoid the Chicken Tax.
I'm curious, what's the Chicken Tax?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

These little Hyundais are starting to pile up at the dealerships I drive by. Wonder if the novelty is wearing off a bit?
Now that all the Gotta Have It Firsts have gotten theirs, the sales have cooled WAY off. The Maverick is handily beating it.

Like I mentioned in another thread, some of the Hyundai dealers in my area have gone from a $5k+ (one dealer was $20k :LOL:) markup to a $1k discount.

I expect some bargains on them soon.

As a side note, the Carmax offer on my truck had gone down by $2k, but this week it went back up by $1k, so not the same direction as the Santa Cruz :devil:

Chicken Tax

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I've never heard of this either so here's what I found

https://www.thoughtco.com/chicken-tax-4159747

• The “Chicken Tax” is a 25% tariff (tax) imposed on foreign-made light trucks and vans imported into the United States.
  • The Chicken Tax was imposed by President Lyndon Johnson in 1963.
  • The Chicken Tax was a response to a similar tariff imposed by West Germany and France on chicken meat imported from the United States.
  • The Chicken Tax is intended to protect the U.S, automakers from foreign competition.
  • Cold War tensions thwarted diplomatic attempts to prevent the Chicken Tax.
  • Major automakers have used loopholes to circumvent the Chicken Tax.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
Subaru used the seats in the BRAT bed to call it a passenger car, thus avoiding the 25% Chicken Tax that was levied on light trucks.
sneaky sneaky....that's definitely Brat-like behavior

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
They obviously aren’t getting feedback from buyers instead they just assume what looks good.
What's with all the ugly vehicles hitting the market? I don't like the Maverick front end (or the new Ranger, for that matter). I'm not a fan of this one, either, but it's marginally better than those.

And I also have a hard time with any center stack that lacks physical buttons and knobs. That tactile feedback is so important.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Was on my way to Green Bay to pick my daughter up at the airport and passed this Santa Cruz on the highway. Not a bad looking little crossover, I refuse to call it a truck cuz it's actually an SUV with a little bed. ?

I do think Hyundai will sell a bunch of these as will Ford with the Maverick. Not everybody needs or want a full framed truck.

PXL_20211003_195524947.jpg

PXL_20211003_195537171.jpg
Sorry, but IMHO its Butt Ugly!
Sponsored