Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
Was on my way to Green Bay to pick my daughter up at the airport and passed this Santa Cruz on the highway. Not a bad looking little crossover, I refuse to call it a truck cuz it's actually an SUV with a little bed. ?

I do think Hyundai will sell a bunch of these as will Ford with the Maverick. Not everybody needs or want a full framed truck.

PXL_20211003_195524947.jpg

PXL_20211003_195537171.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I know there's a niche for these but being a "truck guy" they're just not for me. I (like you) just cant call these a truck. lol I just have flashbacks of these. ?

Brat.jpg

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I know there's a niche for these but being a "truck guy" they're just not for me. I (like you) just cant call these a truck. lol I just have flashbacks of these. ?

Brat.jpg
If you have one of those in good condition right now, it is worth multiples of its original cost.

The rear Death Seats, I mean "Sport" seats, were a way for Subaru to avoid the Chicken Tax.

I would love to have one, but then I do like Subarus.

They bring out my inner lesbian.

Concerning the Santa Cruz, I drove one recently and I found it overall a bit "meh".

It was peppy (281HP and AWD) and handled like a car.

I didn't really care for the center stack.

Every control is a featureless touch sensor.

2022-Hyundai-Santa-Cruz-interior.jpg

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
If you have one of those in good condition right now, it is worth multiples of its original cost.

The rear Death Seats, I mean "Sport" seats, were a way for Subaru to avoid the Chicken Tax.

Concerning the Santa Cruz, I drove one recently and I found it overall a bit "meh".

I owned 2 brats. The first was a 1980 model from the east coast, so it had already started to rust. They had terrible rust problems. The 2nd was a 1979 I bought from a coworker that moved here from AZ, and it was rust free. They were great little vehicles and small enough that you could almost lift them out of a jam if they got stuck, but I never got mine stuck.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Maybe it's because I just got up but that center stack looks way to busy. :crazy:

I'm sure the old Brat is worth some good coin now that everything is over inflated. I still wouldn't want one and have no need to bring out my inner lesbian. lol :wink:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

You're not alone.

Growing up, my mom & step-dad's house was a Subie home. Mostly GL wagons and sedans but a Brat followed my step-dad home once. My older sister got to put some miles on it, but it was gone before my time

Still had some good times in that thing. So much so, I've almost bought one or two as an an adult. Alas the one's I looked at were pretty rough.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I've never had a BRAT but I had a Baja Turbo that I absolutely loved.

Part of me was hoping that the Santa Cruz would be a reincarnation of the Baja and I was excited for it.

Sadly, it isn't. I'd take the Baja Turbo over it any day.

The good thing is that the Santa Cruz is apparently a hit so that may make Subaru revisit the Baja. I really hope they do.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
:rockon:
Those are interesting, i may drive one as a around town rig. saw one last week and told a buddy hey the el camino is back! then I noticed it was santa cruz. hmmm. that name kinda spoils the fun of old school car truck romance. who wants to go "parking" in something named after a saint.
some of us with the grey hair coming on know the old song -
El camino, the front is like a car and the back is like a truck
elcamino the front is where we ride and the back is where we @#$%. it had a few more lines but yall get the idea lol.
I still remember a couple cheerleaders singing and clapping that one. ohh to be young again.

Hey, i woud not be shocked if ford turned the maverick into a ranchero at some point. might be cool.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
agreed! I kinda wish my new ranger didnt say ranger on the tailgate... i know that may get me some hate.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Man bun truck like the maverick ?
most likely would be! man bun with the tiny back pack or the man purse murse thing...
im glad guys like that exist though, when ever i see them i think some where a girl is gonna see him and it will make her want a hairy chested beef eating guy like me !

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase

Brat.jpg
Dave, I can't even call that Brat a baby EL Camino
Sponsored