Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
most people don't do their homework on the F-150's. ever see a "package" called 6600 gvwr? or 7350 gvwr? Thats the max tow rate for that particular f-150 based on the frame inside of it.

yes the most sold standard versions of the F-150, tow less than the stock Ranger.

if you want those high tow packages you need to pay for it and massively so.

half the reason i bought a ranger was the best tow ratings, per price. Ranger with tow pacakge/ 7500 lbs. Want a colorado, tacoma, galdiator, f-150, etc that can tow 7500, well you better deep dive into the options, and pacakges because you have to get all the checkboxes correct. miss one and your towing ability is drastically reduced.
There are not different frames between the different GVWR packages. Suspension components or whatever yes, but same frame in all of them. Maybe more homework needed..
Sponsored

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
There are not different frames between the different GVWR packages. Suspension components or whatever yes, but same frame in all of them. Maybe more homework needed..
https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2020/12/ford-f-150-gvwr-package-explained/

Ford F-150 has several different frames in addition to all the other components. or shoudl i say they have a base frame, with additional reinforcements added for higher tow packages. Either way it is multiple frames for the trucks.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I will say I know I am a bit of a naysayer when it comes to "improving" interiors. I just saw the new GMC Sierra's interior in the Denali Ultimate trim and it is very aesthetically pleasing, albeit I don't know how the open pore wood and leather would hold up to mud, oil, and general dirtiness that comes with life.

Maybe we do want a luxe Ranger interior after all?
I'd like a sensible, cleanable interior (I don't particularly need or want wood and "leather") along with functional improvements (memory seats are worth $$$ if your wife drives your truck on occasion). For reasons of maximizing profit margins, they won't sell you the functional stuff without the appearance stuff. The reviewers contribute massively to the problem, bitching endlessly about "hard plastic" (I *like* hard plastic, it's much more durable and easier to clean than taping pillows all over the interior).

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
probably be more cost effective to go to an upholstery shop and have a custom build interior done
You can do custom Katzins front and rear seats for $1,500-$2,000 which is the major part. Add a couple grand more for the dash, door liners, console and headliner and you're well under $10K

Craftsman

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Furniture Maker
Traded my 2018 F-150 with max tow packages (13,500 lbs) and it definitely had the heavy duty frame

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS; Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADA
so...all this talk about the F150 having different frames for towing got me into googling.
all I have found are these general specific changes.
numerous websites reflect the same...none reference upgraded frames, other than certain cab configurations.

those that claim the frames are different, do we have written documentation on that?
different bumpers and/or stab bars do not constitute frame changes. where's the beef in this sandwich??

https://vehq.com/ford-regular-tow-package-vs-max-tow-package-what-truck-owners-need-to-know/
I was able to find different part numbers for the same frame depending on engine choice:

One frame style for the 3.5L EB & 5.0, one for the 3.0T Diesel, and another for the 3.3 NA and 2.7T.

https://www.carid.com/2021-ford-f-1.../ford-oe-frame-and-components-4240796652.html

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Wow, i see some big prices you all paid for rangers
Xlt, 4x2 31k
Locking rear end, ac, power windows, android auto, lane assist, trailer sway, blind spot, cheap thin aluminum bed, no damper, tows awesome! 1700 payload!! Hauls awesome! Sand, mud, a few dings here and there, especially in the bed! Leather seats would just get ruined by my leather gloves, chains, ropes, and so on, lots of power! Lots of torque! Tow and sport mode awesome!

The bad,
Small bed( its a midsize get over it)
Drive mode sucks( i get it cafe standards)
Ac controls are small
Hard to clean mud off the carpets

No way i was getting a cheap xl vinyl seat f150 for under 40. Used at 30k, with 70k miles on it

Love the truck. Ill get rid of it when the gdi engine loses performance. I do not like gdi. But the power when they run right

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS; Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADA
Xlt, 4x2 31k
Locking rear end, ac, power windows, android auto, lane assist, trailer sway, blind spot, cheap thin aluminum bed, no damper, tows awesome! 1700 payload!! Hauls awesome! Sand, mud, a few dings here and there, especially in the bed! Leather seats would just get ruined by my leather gloves, chains, ropes, and so on, lots of power! Lots of torque! Tow and sport mode awesome!

The bad,
Ac controls are small

No way i was getting a cheap xl vinyl seat f150 for under 40. Used at 30k, with 70k miles on it

Love the truck. Ill get rid of it when the gdi engine loses performance. I do t like gdi. But the power when they run right
The Ranger's bed is actually steel, the tailgate is aluminum. Also, most of us paid more because 4x4 alone is about a $3.8k option. My 4x4 STX with everything your truck has except a touchscreen was about 35k.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Xlt, 4x2 31k

The bad,
Ac controls are small

No way i was a cheap xl vinyl seat f150 for under 40. Used at 30k, with 70k miles on it

Love the truck. Ill get rid of it when the gdi engine loses performance. I do t like gdi. But the power when they run
The Ranger's bed is actually steel, the tailgate is aluminum. Also, most of us paid more because 4x4 alone is about a $3.8k option. My 4x4 STX with everything your truck has except a touchscreen was about 35k.
Steel? Thats good, its just too thin. I have to be real careful to place things in the bed. Not throw. Oh ok. I see the 4x4 is expensive. I would like it but have never needed it. I lkke the extra payload, no front axle or transfer case adding weight. Hopefully buy a bronco for 4x4 stuff!
Tow the bronco, with the ranger, to moab! Lol

Gumbo

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
sales
I've watched a lot of his videos over the years and I think he actually wasn't as harsh on the Tremor as I was expecting. His biggest complaint about the transmission is solved for $700 with the perfomance tune. The only car I've seen him rave about at all was the Toyota Corolla Hatchback. That should give some perspective. I sold a Porsche Macan S to buy my Tremor. The Porsche is without a doubt the best all around driving vehicle I've ever owned, but It's not a truck (even though I used it like one to the extent possible) and it doesn't have much clearance, and you damn sure don't want to take it off road or load kayaks on it. I love my ranger and don't miss the Porsche at all, so I don't really care what he thinks.

staryoshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring
Occupation
Data Guy
//snip//
Love the truck. Ill get rid of it when the gdi engine loses performance. I do not like gdi. But the power when they run right
A tricked out F-150 crew cab XL with the 2.7 would run me $1500 more than a base Lariat Ranger (Optioned the way I'd like them both), it's a tough call for me :p

He definitely doesn't care for the Ranger, I didn't feel what he did with the tranny, I think the powertrain is one of Ranger's main selling point from my drives. I did love the underside examination. He sounds knowledgeable but perhaps a little biased.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
A tricked out F-150 crew cab XL with the 2.7 would run me $1500 more than a base Lariat Ranger (Optioned the way I'd like them both), it's a tough call for me :p

He definitely doesn't care for the Ranger, I didn't feel what he did with the tranny, I think the powertrain is one of Ranger's main selling point from my drives. I did love the underside examination. He sounds knowledgeable but perhaps a little biased.
I agree. The drivetrain is awesome. But.........in normal mode......it does suck. 30mph, in 8th gear!!!???? That is whats causing the vibrations in the rangers. Makes total sense, design flaw in engineering. But give it gas or drive in tow or sports mode, truck cant be beat. Geese tyrant sounds cynical, but has a few good points too. Still not enough to make me want another brand. This truck is awesome for features and price. Like a 90s f150! Just better

staryoshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring
Occupation
Data Guy
I agree. The drivetrain is awesome. But.........in normal mode......it does suck. 30mph, in 8th gear!!!???? That is whats causing the vibrations in the rangers. Makes total sense, design flaw in engineering. But give it gas or drive in tow or sports mode, truck cant be beat. Geese tyrant sounds cynical, but has a few good points too. Still not enough to make me want another brand. This truck is awesome for features and price. Like a 90s f150! Just better
I'd live in eco most of the time anyway ;) Heck I've started looking for eco detunes already, lol. He made some fair points, just felt like he was looking for reasons to be snarky lol. I'll have to see if I can replicate the vibes. What's better in the segment? Not much :p

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I'd live in eco most of the time anyway ;) Heck I've started looking for eco detunes already, lol. He made some fair points, just felt like he was looking for reasons to be snarky lol. I'll have to see if I can replicate the vibes. What's better in the segment? Not much :p
A custom tune could net a person great economy. As delivered, 8th gear @30mph, is not at all economical.
Sponsored