Savagegeese

staryoshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring
Occupation
Data Guy
A custom tune could net a person great economy. As delivered, 8th gear @30mph, is not at all economical.
I went from a 4 speed a/t to a CVT. That gearing sounds so high to me, lol.
Sponsored

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Cars have changed a lot since I first saw this, but the physics behind it are unchanged. Under normal circumstances, you’ll see the greatest efficiency by traveling just below the speed where aerodynamic drag becomes a significant factor, in the highest gear that your engine can manage. Back in the carburetor days, this meant about 45 MPH. With today’s lower-drag cars, and EFI, you can probably run near 50 MPH before the drag becomes a serious problem. It’s boring beyond measure, but if you’re in the middle of nowhere, and the next gas station is a long way off, this will maximize your chances of getting there before you run out of fuel. Properly inflated tires are a must.

EDIT: This sounds a lot like the Ranger’s factory shift programming, where you’re always three gears too high. That’s probably not a coincidence.

Cactus Jim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL STX
I think I am definitely in the minority here, when I say I like the "spartan" cab in my STX. Then again, my priorities are geared more towards the "less things to break" mentality since it's subjected to the terrors of a 4-year-old (RIP center console leather), but the rubber floors are a godsend.

The upgraded infotainment is just enough technology for me. The silver dash and door pieces are nice but I'm considering getting a nice woodgrain vinyl wrap for them.

Plus whenever I want to feel fancy I just get behind the wheel of my Mark IV :cool:

(not my interior, but this is why I love fake wood)
1637521508198.png
Sponsored